GDT: Sabres @ VGK - Fri. 10 pm ET, Dec 15, 2023, MSG-B, SCRIPPS 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

IT looks like effort to me Taro.  Sure, sometimes the goaltending is not there.  Many games after a win they don't play hard enough, they  wait for the game to come to them.  

Last night it took us ten minutes to get going, thankfully Levi was really on his game.  

MAYBE on a certain level.  Right now they still have the new system down and they probably do have to give more of a playoff level effort to make things happen that a regular season effort level SHOULD be effective enough at.

But you can't sustain 82 games at a playoff level.  

Though am focusing on them being uncertain about whether their goalies will be good enough as a key to the inconsistent play.  By no means is that the ONLY issue.  The Detroit game was horrible (3rd period not withstanding) and the Avs game was horrible.  (Both of which either had Tuch out of the lineup or 1st game back from injury incidentally.)  But, it can't simply be a case of lack of effort.  NOBODY runs hot and cold literally every other game on effort alone.  (The stretch where the 3 headed monster having been slayed being a notable exception to the on again off again play/results.)

A big part of WHY my focus is on their belief in the goaltending is, IMHO when they get above average GTing (and both UPL and Levi have provided that at times) they have 1 less thing to be distracting them from trying to understand their new roles.  (This probably won't be explained exactly the way it's meant, but don't feel like writing a disertation nor editing for 20 minutes; so with that in mind ...)  And they ALMOST get to a point where they just play the way they're supposed to for most of the game.  Granato talks about having them play fearless, and most people take that to mean play without accountability.  But personally believe what he's getting at is they ARE going to make mistakes (all 19 of them) and they don't have to worry about getting flogged for A mistake.  Particularly if they afterwards understand what the mistake was and more importantly WHY the mistake was made.  If they get that, then they can fix them.  They clearly do not have the new system down to muscle memory.  They ARE thinking often on the ice (and NOT in the "how do I make the next play" kind of way but in the "am I where I need to be and understand what I do if the puck goes there or there" kind of way.  Throwing on the "if I don't do this right, my goalie won't bail me out" thoughts make that thinking even more pronounced.  Especially when they're supposed to be thinking about making the next right play not the last play good or bad.

If it was JUST effort, they'd have more back to back bad games.  The losing would breed more losing than it has.  MHO, YMMV.

1 hour ago, Believer said:

The given reality?… Bias… We are still perceived as a lower echelon team despite beating all the top teams this season…

When we are league-leading defending Stanley Cup Champs playing at home… imagine the calls will come our way too…

Looking forward to that day.

Problem is though a penalty is a penalty and this is why the nhl is so frustrating. 

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Not opposed to sitting Clifton…but I noticed he has five assists in his last five games.  His mistakes are glaring, but he’s playing better than the start of the year.  

His big "mistake" yesterday was getting his stick slapped from behind as he tried to clear the puck from the slot.  I'm not sure I'm going to call that a glaring error or just ***** that happens in a scrum.

Overall though he's produced more points that he's allowed, with his long breakout passes.

8 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

BigBallsBenson. 

A player so fearless for his age and stature he knows no fear for going to the net.

See, that's the thing and it illustrates what's been wrong with this team for so long. Benson going to the net front should NOT be that noticeable and should NOT STAND OUT as something new or special. It's a VERY GOOD thing, but it's what lots of the other guys should have been doing for years and many of them still need to start doing it now. 

Benson has been outstanding, and all his instincts are correct and his attitude appears to be correct as well but he shouldn't be leading them, they should be leading him. Well, it is what it is. Perhaps he will help us turn the page finally. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

See, that's the thing and it illustrates what's been wrong with this team for so long. Benson going to the net front should NOT be that noticeable and should NOT STAND OUT as something new or special. It's a VERY GOOD thing, but it's what lots of the other guys should have been doing for years and many of them still need to start doing it now. 

Benson has been outstanding, and all his instincts are correct and his attitude appears to be correct as well but he shouldn't be leading them, they should be leading him. Well, it is what it is. Perhaps he will help us turn the page finally. 

I'm with ya.....

Bensons Immotals....SADDLE UP!!!

download (5).jpeg

89lqjs.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He absolutely shouldn’t be their best forward (if he is). He’s pretty good for a rookie, he’s not good for a team’s top forward. 

He’s pacing for 39 points over a full season 

He’s pacing for 34 points over the course of this season 

Edited by Thorny

On 12/15/2023 at 3:47 PM, pi2000 said:

This is the type of game they win and suck everyone back in... Like when they won in Boston not too long ago, and New York not long before that.

The. the players say something... this is how we have to play, we figured it out, we're good... then lay an egg against the Coyotes Saturday night.

welp 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

89ksic.jpg

Hey Robot, 

Go tell your maker to turn down your jealousy dial. It's so obvious that you miss having a generational hockey talent play for your team. I see that the Sabres lost 2-0 last night. Gee whiz. Who would have thought that having a 1C who can score goals would be so important? Enjoy shoveling snow out of your maker's driveway. Or whatever you Buffalo robots are programmed to do. Back in the day, the only white powder I had to be responsible for was whatever Evander and Zach paid me to pick up in Lewiston. Gotta run. Have to sign Golden Knights hats for a bunch of handicapped rugrats. Too bad Kyle is not around to cover for me.

Your favorite hockey superstar,

-Jackie E.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.