The 6K discussion thread: Can he lead us to the playoffs? Keeping the crease warm for Levi?

Hank

30 minutes ago, Hank said:

Rough night for my boy 6K. Woof!!

Save % down to .905(24th), GAA down to 2.88 22nd).

6K is now 6-3-1 in games started. 

I'm not convinced Levi wouldn't have won all the games UPL won.

I'm also not convinced Levi couldn't have won some games that UPL lost.

I think our coaching staff is clueless about how to handle our goaltending situation 

6K is and will continue to be fine.  The team did not play good D in front of him.  That said, he is a goalie in the NHL.  None of them play lights out every night.  He did not play well atoll.  It happens.  I would have pulled him in the first, but what do I know.  

When your O peppers the other guy with 40+ SOG and scores 4 time and should have had a few more, then your G has to give you very good odds to win.

11 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

6K is and will continue to be fine.  The team did not play good D in front of him.  That said, he is a goalie in the NHL.  None of them play lights out every night.  He did not play well atoll.  It happens.  I would have pulled him in the first, but what do I know.  

When your O peppers the other guy with 40+ SOG and scores 4 time and should have had a few more, then your G has to give you very good odds to win.

Well said. I agree, rough night for my boy, but he'll be fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, erickompositör72 said:

I'm not convinced Levi wouldn't have won all the games UPL won.

I'm also not convinced Levi couldn't have won some games that UPL lost.

I think our coaching staff is clueless about how to handle our goaltending situation 

Even after this stinker, UPL is still almost a full goal per game ahead of Levi and 3% points ahead on his save percentage.  The results are clear.  UPL has been the best option this year by a wide margin.  What the coaching staff needs to do is figure out how to weed out these occasional ***** shows.

All your odd what ifs up there, can't you reverse those same scenarios for every game Levi played?  He may very well have a bright future, but his numbers have been atrocious this season.  He is where he needs to be for now.

• Hank changed the title to The 6K discussion thread: Can he lead us to the playoffs? Keeping the crease warm for Levi?
27 minutes ago, shrader said:

Even after this stinker, UPL is still almost a full goal per game ahead of Levi and 3% points ahead on his save percentage.  The results are clear.  UPL has been the best option this year by a wide margin.  What the coaching staff needs to do is figure out how to weed out these occasional ***** shows.

All your odd what ifs up there, can't you reverse those same scenarios for every game Levi played?  He may very well have a bright future, but his numbers have been atrocious this season.  He is where he needs to be for now.

I don't think the sample size is nearly big enough that those stats have significant relevance. Goalie stats have too large a correlation to what team shows up (or doesn't) in front of them each night.

Just my opinion

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I don't think the sample size is nearly big enough that those stats have significant relevance. Goalie stats have too large a correlation to what team shows up (or doesn't) in front of them each night.

Just my opinion

Take a look at their game logs.  Count up what you would call a good game for each guy.  It becomes apparent very quickly that Levi is where he needs to be right now.

UPL
Levi

Should someone else be here instead?  That's a completely different topic, but while you're stuck with these 3 goalies today, the decision has become very clear.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No, UPL was bad. Sure the backchecking could have been better but UPL was bad. Both things can be true. We need to stop this idea that if a team makes a mistake in front of a goalie that lets them off the hook for being crappy. All NHL teams allow chances to their opponents, we got far below average goaltending from UPL last night and we lost. Both things can be true, UPL was bad and the team didn't cover in the d zone well enough. 

UPL was bad at times and so was the effort.  Three straight goals came off of face offs.  Losing the draw cleanly is one thing,  but them standing around watching the play is worse.  

4th goal, Muel gave the puck away carelessly. 

5th goal, 20 seconds later,  they were slow to get back, odd man rush.  They should be fired up to get the next goal and instead they showed no effort after the Blues scored.  

6th goal, Power falls and they give up another odd man rush.

We need UPL to bail out some of the mistakes, and there were many.  Too many. 

The weirdest part of the game is that we did outplay them for long periods of time.  Team defense is still not important to them.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

I agree the thing is you hope as a Buffalo Sabres fan that the UPL crowd don’t get there way like they did with Darren Puppa back in the day over Tom Barrasso. One of the worst decisions the Sabres organization ever made was trading the more talented Tom Barrasso to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Doug Bodger and Darrin Shannon going with the Sabres fan favorite Darren Puppa because he shutout Wayne Gretzky and the Edmonton Oilers in Edmonton he became a Sabres fan folk hero. We all know how that turned out for the Sabres. UPL isn’t ever going to be anything more than a NHL backup goalie he let in 6 goals on his first 14 shots that is terrible he can’t play back to back at the same consistent level he folds every time unfortunately. With Devon Levi right now is unknown. I rather sink or swim with the unknown Devon Levi who is more talented than UPL as a Sabres fan.

Eric Comrie it’s a joke this man is on the Sabres roster he has no value. Winnipeg Jets got rid of this bum and some Sabres fans think he is good ridiculous he should have been waived if Sabres roster shot warranted it. It doesn’t matter anymore because I think both Don Granato and Kevyn Adams are fired at the end of the season if the Sabres don’t make the playoffs. The Sabres lease is going to be up on Key Bank Center and the Sabres want public money changes are coming if Terry Pegula doesn’t get a playoff team this season. Because it’s hard to convince the general public for public money when your team sucks for 13 years plus years. Changes are coming because this current Sabres team is badly underachieving and were expected to make the playoffs this season they actually look worse than last season in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Puppa a fan favorite?   First I've heard of that.  You make this stuff up all the time.  I had season tickets and I can tell you Puppa was never a fan favorite. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ... said:

Maybe calling him "6K" has hexed him. Something about double the number of the beast.

Bad or unproven players should never have nicknames. It puts the jinx on. Buffalo fans love their nicknames though. I'd like to see a nickname ban in Buffalo.

5 hours ago, Quint said:

Bad or unproven players should never have nicknames. It puts the jinx on. Buffalo fans love their nicknames though. I'd like to see a nickname ban in Buffalo.

Who started this 6K garbage Anyway? I've been avoiding this thread most of the time because not only does he already have a nickname... UPL... 6k is just dumb.

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Who started this 6K garbage Anyway? I've been avoiding this thread most of the time because not only does he already have a nickname... UPL... 6k is just dumb.

At least it’s not Mittsy. Krebsy. Tuchy. Especially considering the official Sabres media barrage doesn’t use 6K, which makes it a massive plus, unlike the cringe of the former 

• Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Why is he still up here sitting on the bench when UPL has locked up the #1 job right now?

Comrie would be fine to play the odd game here and there.

Levi needs to be playing in Rochester consistently, he isn't improving sitting on the bench here.

Unsure why they have him up here, he isn't ready right now. Too inconsistent. Kinda like UPL has been up until recently.

12 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

Why is he still up here sitting on the bench when UPL has locked up the #1 job right now?

Comrie would be fine to play the odd game here and there.

Levi needs to be playing in Rochester consistently, he isn't improving sitting on the bench here.

Unsure why they have him up here, he isn't ready right now. Too inconsistent. Kinda like UPL has been up until recently.

I think it may come to pass... perhaps before they go out on the road.  Let's see how Upie looks against the Bolts before anointing him.  I'm a big Levi fan, but I'm also thrilled with Upie's emergence at #1 and if this is the not a false positive I think it makes sense to give Levi more work in Rochester.

@Hank, your boy is REALLY playing well lately.  He's moving better than he ever has professionally.  Hoped that he'd eventually get to a point that he trusts the hips, but based on the way he was playing in preseason flat out didn't expect it to happen this season.  Thought it MIGHT happen a couple of seasons from now but wouldn't have wanted to have to depend upon it.  Would be really interested to know what changed to get him to this point.  Know his training and diet changed in the off-season, but they didn't have a positive effect on his play in the preseason.  Expecting it was more than just those.

And with his movement improved, both his anticipation of where the play is going is noticably improved too and his rebound control is better too.

Don't know that it's sustainable.  But, if it was a uncomfortableness (for lack of a better word) in the way the hips felt when he moved which he's pushed through both physically and mentally, it very well could be sustainable.  Really looking forward to watching him in the Tampa game because it will be a much better test than the last 2 games.  He only gave up 1 goal to a very offensively sound Canucks squad, so he can get it done and he looked very good in that one too.  Expecting he'll be strong again, hoping that's the case.

He noticably is not the same goalie he was in camp.  Of course, he's mentioned in the past that knowing his team trusts him and considers him THE one helps his mentality and it also seemed Levi was the annointed one and he was to a degree an afterthought.  Wonder how much of the camp struggles were due to feeling he wasn't getting a fair shake if any of it was?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Taro T said:

@Hank, your boy is REALLY playing well lately.  He's moving better than he ever has professionally.  Hoped that he'd eventually get to a point that he trusts the hips, but based on the way he was playing in preseason flat out didn't expect it to happen this season.  Thought it MIGHT happen a couple of seasons from now but wouldn't have wanted to have to depend upon it.  Would be really interested to know what changed to get him to this point.  Know his training and diet changed in the off-season, but they didn't have a positive effect on his play in the preseason.  Expecting it was more than just those.

And with his movement improved, both his anticipation of where the play is going is noticably improved too and his rebound control is better too.

Don't know that it's sustainable.  But, if it was a uncomfortableness (for lack of a better word) in the way the hips felt when he moved which he's pushed through both physically and mentally, it very well could be sustainable.  Really looking forward to watching him in the Tampa game because it will be a much better test than the last 2 games.  He only gave up 1 goal to a very offensively sound Canucks squad, so he can get it done and he looked very good in that one too.  Expecting he'll be strong again, hoping that's the case.

He noticably is not the same goalie he was in camp.  Of course, he's mentioned in the past that knowing his team trusts him and considers him THE one helps his mentality and it also seemed Levi was the annointed one and he was to a degree an afterthought.  Wonder how much of the camp struggles were due to feeling he wasn't getting a fair shake if any of it was?  

Yes, 6K is on quite the run. I'm happy for him, hopefully he can keep it going. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 11/23/2023 at 9:31 PM, Sabres Super Fan said:

No just some Buffalo Sabres fans panicking in fantasy land that a Rochester forward who has some points in the AHL is going to magically dominate the NHL and the Sabres make the playoffs with this move. Even though this same forward a month ago couldn’t make the Sabres opening night roster. Again Devon Levi is here for the season because he made the Buffalo Sabres and has played well enough to stay in the NHL. It’s just some Sabres fans fixated on three goalies bother them. You know there young Sabres fans not old Sabres fans. Because if they were old Sabres fans they know the first year I follow the Buffalo Sabres 1975 the Sabres had three goalies all season and made the Stanley Cup finals. Gary Bromley who played the most games that season, Roger Crozier who was ailing, Rocky Farr than Gerry Desjardins was signed from the Michigan Stags WHA took Rocky Farr’s goalie spot on the Sabres roster. If three goalies was good enough for Punch Imlach it’s good enough for me. Notice Sabres fans three goalies didn’t stop the Sabres from winning consistently. Face it using three goalies theory why the Sabres aren’t winning is an excuse. The Sabres aren’t winning because the Sabres aren’t good enough period. Until the Sabres players play consistently for three periods for more than once a week nothing is going to change in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1975?  What took you so long?  

You miss a lot a facts about goaltending that season and about the early Sabres history with 3 goalies   

Punch carried 3 goalies in the Sabres first season (Crozier, Daley, Dryden), and again in for portions of 74-75 when there were problems with Croziers health and he had a great team to support   

In 1974-75 they went with Crozier, backed by Bromley.  Crozier got sick again, he had illness in his history.  He played Bromley for much the season.  Farr was a minor league player, call up for limited action.  Bromley played ok but he was not the guy Punch was going to ride into the playoffs.  The team looked great and Punch knew goaltending wins playoffs.  

Punch finally found a trade he liked,  trading for Desjardins from the Islanders, who owned his NHL rights when Michigan of the WHA folded.  

Desjardins finished the year for Buffalo, and Crozier got a bit healthier and played a few playoff games.  Bromley was essentially done once Desjardins showed up.  He played one game the next season and went to the WHA.  

None of this has anything to do with, or is related in any way to the current Sabres situation.   Just wanted to set the record straight. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.