Has This Organization Made Any Progress?

Flashsabre

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Good post.

Should things continue the way they have these past 2 games, yes, Adams should be feeling heat.  (He should anytime they're short of what expectations are, but sample size is a thing.)  Winnipeg is another team like Buffalo with a better road record than home record.  The Blackhawks are still bad, but the Sabres had better not overlook anyone right now.  Get those 2 W's and a split with the Caps and Pens and they've officially come away with the 6 points they need ALL season per 5 games to get to the dance.

Don't like their chances minus both Thompson and Tuch, but it's Mittelstadt's and Cozens' opportunities to step up.  They both consider themselves to be leaders (and the folks around here agree w/ Dylan); so they need to treat this as an opportunity.  Have been fine with keeping Kulich in Ra-cha-cha, but they need help in the top 6 w/ 1/2 of it out of the lineup and the 1st kid asked to be a replacement also out.  The coaching staff MIGHT have faith that streaky Olofsson will go on one given time on whatever is the 2nd line & top PP w/ all that firepower out, but would hope they don't.

Will be interesting to see if there's any fire to the Hannifin rumblings we heard this weekend.  He would be a huge addition to the back end and would allow them to come up w/ pairings that make sense throughout all 3 pairs.

I think I'd rather have Zadorov come back than Hannifin.  We need some toughness in the lineup. 

• Agree 1

So much talk this off season about being a better team at home.  What a joke that was!  Last night they were supposed to really show up to demonstrate their respect and feelings for Okie.  Quite the statement!  These guys are complacent, no heart and no pride.  Time to start benching players that are mailing it in, or are just horrible.  Someone needs to post the Boston newspaper headlines in that locker room:  "Bruins Score Early in Another Thrashing of Sabres";  "Bruins Batter Sabres"; "Bruins Rout Sabres". 

I think I'm done with Donnie, too much talk and no results.  How many times will hear excuses about "not feeling it" or "not finding our game"?  Isn't that on the coach?  Why is Tage playing on the PK blocking shots during a 4-0 rout? 

Adams clearly "lost the offseason".  Bringing back Okie, Z, and Jost did nothing to improve this team.  Clifton wasn't good enough to play playoff games in Boston, why would we sign him?  We need some new players.  It's time to use the resources in the pipeline to bring in some tough and smart players.  How about bringing Zadorov back to start?  Then find someone who can consistently win faceoffs and play a 200' game.  Send Levi to Rochester and free up his roster spot, he hasn't earned the right to keep playing.  Keeping 3 goalies is ridiculous and only shows they don't know what they're doing. 

• Like (+1) 3

Ullmark is so Buffalo. The Sabres, with a need for solid goaltending that extends back many years, they continue to have the same issues with goaltending, all while they face their former one who has been quite successful on his new team. 

It must sting that Ullmark has done so well in Boston while our goaltending woes continue. But what can we learn from this? Surely theres something?

Ullmark was Linus here as he is Linus there. What is the difference between the 2 teams that contributes to his success (or lack of it with us)?

We all know the answer to this question. Problem is that evidently our coach & GM dont. Until we play within a disciplined defensive system, no goalie aside from Hasek will have any chance out there. On this front its hard to see much progress at all.

30 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

Ullmark is so Buffalo. The Sabres, with a need for solid goaltending that extends back many years, they continue to have the same issues with goaltending, all while they face their former one who has been quite successful on his new team. 

It must sting that Ullmark has done so well in Boston while our goaltending woes continue. But what can we learn from this? Surely theres something?

Ullmark was Linus here as he is Linus there. What is the difference between the 2 teams that contributes to his success (or lack of it with us)?

We all know the answer to this question. Problem is that evidently our coach & GM dont. Until we play within a disciplined defensive system, no goalie aside from Hasek will have any chance out there. On this front its hard to see much progress at all.

I dunno why people want to divide the entire goalie pool into “Hasek, and others.”

Ullmark put up way better numbers here than any of our current guys. Even in our systems or lack there of. Goalies are a spectrum. Goalies can provide positive output even if they aren’t the greatest ever. Goalies can improve your D and D can improve your goalies

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Wait, Boston has less talent than the Sabres?… mmmmm K.

I think I look for other things in a player than the OP.

I think in some ways that is very true. We have players with great talent but we do not develop them into complete players that maximize their abilities the way the Bruins (and other teams) do. All you have to do is look at the players that leave being better than they were here (Reinhart NHL star of the week last week I believe for example) to see that the problem is deeply rooted and isn't about the players.

Coaching matters. Culture matters. Just look how Tochet flipped Vancouver. Coaching matters. Accountability matters. In Buffalo it's about having fun, playing your game and scoring goals. In other places like Boston it's about winning and working hard to improve even when you are winning. Everyone is united and accountable. 

As Johnson alluded to games ago, until this team realizes you need to play a complete 2 way game to succeed in this league it'll never change. 

So to your point, it's never just about talent. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Pegula bought the Sabres for $189 million.  I believe it was in 2011 he set an embarrassing three year timetable to win the Stanley Cup.  They haven't come close.  Can't even make the playoffs.  They are now valued at $900 million.  I wonder how much longer he's going to deal w/ such a headache.  Owning one Buffalo franchise is plenty of stress, can't imagine having two.  I don't see him selling the Bills before the Sabres.   

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think in some ways that is very true. We have players with great talent but we do not develop them into complete players that maximize their abilities the way the Bruins (and other teams) do. All you have to do is look at the players that leave being better than they were here (Reinhart NHL star of the week last week I believe for example) to see that the problem is deeply rooted and isn't about the players.

Coaching matters. Culture matters. Just look how Tochet flipped Vancouver. Coaching matters. Accountability matters. In Buffalo it's about having fun, playing your game and scoring goals. In other places like Boston it's about winning and working hard to improve even when you are winning. Everyone is united and accountable. 

As Johnson alluded to games ago, until this team realizes you need to play a complete 2 way game to succeed in this league it'll never change. 

So to your point, it's never just about talent. 

Well said. This is what I was alluding to. You just laid it out perfectly.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Pegula bought the Sabres for $189 million.  I believe it was in 2011 he set an embarrassing three year timetable to win the Stanley Cup.  They haven't come close.  Can't even make the playoffs.  They are now valued at $900 million.  I wonder how much longer he's going to deal w/ such a headache.  Owning one Buffalo franchise is plenty of stress, can't imagine having two.  I don't see him selling the Bills before the Sabres.   

He won’t sell the Bills because that’s why he bought the Sabres to begin with. 

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Look at the entire league right now.  It's full of teams hovering around mediocrity.  I feel like this situation is far less unique than people realize.

Please stop.  12 years.  That’s all you need to know.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GoPre said:

I want him to sell the Sabres.  I really do. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I was all in last year. But this year I am struggling to find the vision after seeing the bottom 6 perform.

I know I keep coming back to it, but the top 6 is more or less set for the next 3-5 years. We have some guys to shuffle in towards the end of that as guys age out and contracts expire. But it seems like we have too much overlap in that skill set and lack anybody with any physicality or grit n the pipeline. I just don't see the plan other than just wait, see, and hope. And if that is the case, WTF is the point of an NHL GM if all we do is draft and wait? 

It just feels like we are building this thing as our first line is our best line and our 4th line is our worst, and that isn't how teams are constructed. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I want him to sell the Sabres.  I really do. 

The key is, would any new potential owner keep the team in Buffalo?

I haven't really liked Pegula as owners of the Bills or Sabres since he got them.  But I will take his as the owner of one/both of the teams rather than him selling to someone who would entertain moving them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I haven't really liked Pegula as owners of the Bills or Sabres since he got them.  But I will take his as the owner of one/both of the teams rather than him selling to someone who would entertain moving them.

Why would you think a new owner would move them? It's a proven solid hockey market when it's a decent franchise. People will cross the border and there's a lot of hockey fans in the area. They just need an owner that will put a good experienced hockey guy in charge of things and let him run with. 

Or heck, move it, and then get an expansion team and start over. The right way. Really doesn't matter. 

Yeesh... I agree the Bills go south, hoping the Sabres make the step... Well so much for holiday wishes!!! (seems to be a recurring theme... for years). I applaud Adams for bringing in the young talent... but isn't this starting to turn out out to the wash, rinse and repeat of the Bowman era (can't beat the Bruins, thank god the Leafs sucked backed then under Ballard)... Great players drafted, yet they are remembered elsewhere for accomplishing cup glory when they get into the HOF... Adams needs to shake it up... Florida shook it up and look what they got, a heart... a trade that seems to be a steal cap wise and momentum... (which makes an owner happy, revenue wise)... Developmental coaches are what they are, they develop kids for the next step, Granato ain't dealing with kids anymore, yet he seems to have the mindset it's the next step... no offense... but the NHL is the last step... if the players are trying to take a step at the top of the floor with no steps... Houston... we have a problem!!!

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I can’t imagine pulling for another team if the Sabres left Buffalo.  Same for the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

True.  Of Course.  If he sells, we have to want it to an entity with strong Buffalo ties. 

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think I would root for wherever the Sabres move to. It would be weird but is what it is.

Interesting thing to think about.

I think I COULD, but the thing that might turn me off is what would inevitably happen:  When I saw the players, the coaches, etc  have interviews over and over saying about how they love the new city, they are embracing the fanbase, saying how great the fans are for coming out to support them......and the marketing for the new team breaking most/all times with the "Buffalo Sabres" to build their own brand and marketing....well. that might do it for me.  Its not that I don't expect that to happen, but in today's society it would likely go too overboard for my taste.

At that point I would probably look around the league for a team that hasn't won in a while, but has a fun, young core and is starting to have success, with a young player or two that I really like... and start to follow them.

A decade ago (or more) when the Bills were playing in Toronto I kinda went through this thought process. There was talk that maybe the Bills, if they didn't get a new stadium, would move to Toronto. I thought...I don't go to the games myself..I live in Northern Niagara county and on a clear day I can SEE the Rogers center across the lake...we'd still be able to follow them on radio and get to watch all their games, so no big deal to me.  THEN, all it took is for me to hear ONE caller on 590 out of Toronto talk about this and say if the Bills moved there he would want to make sure they had NOTHING to do with "Buffalo" or the "Bills", he said he'd want them to be called Toronto of course, but pick a new team name, even change the colors.  I was like...if THAT is the attitude the fans want then screw Toronto (as far as the Bills going there is concerned)

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think I would root for wherever the Sabres move to. It would be weird but is what it is.

Not me.  I didn't do it with the Braves, not gonna ever do it.  

If the Buffalo Sabres move to another city forget them - and expect that city to do a complete name and jersey makeover.  The Buffalo emblem can only be for The City of Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.