Casey Mittelstadt's next contract

RVJ

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree with you in general.  It's a legit issue.  How do you keep paying guys when they have accomplished nothing from a team standpoint?  I guess it comes down to whether the GM thinks a player is part of the solution or part of the problem.  Given how many of our forwards are allergic to 2-way play, I'd argue the problem lies elsewhere.   IMHO Skinner, Cozens, and Power are players we could trade to create cap space if necessary.  I don't like not bridging Power.  Of all the guys we signed an extension to, his contract seems like the biggest miscalculation so far. 

Regardless of whether we pay Mitts 6 or 7 per season, there are no cap issues next season.  They may start in 2025, but I don't think we can worry about that at this point.  

Skinner, not unless he agrees.

Cozens has no protections according to capfriendly.  Not sure if Power did.  That said, signing Mitts would not break the bank on this team.  But, if they are signing him to similar money as Cozens then you might as well trade Cozens or repurpose him in the lineup.  You don't pay two 2Cs.. not that I necessarily think Cozens is a center.

Right now Mitts is second on the team in P/GP and first in +/-.  I'm not trading him on the hopes that Cozens rebounds.  I sign Mitts and the Cozens has to prove he needs to be here or I am shipping him out.  I've seen more tenacity and hustle out of Mitts the past two seasons than I have Cozens.  He's not the workhorse he was labeled.. he's trying more to be a show horse.. and not having much to show for it.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/20/2024 at 2:28 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm going to review this yet again.  Here is the Sabres cap situation heading into next season

Forwards under contract (8) - Skinner, TNT, Cozens, Tuch, Greenway, Benson, Quinn, JJP - Cost $33,662,023

Defenders under contract 5) - Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Clifton, and R Johnson - Cost $27,894,047

Goalies under contract (1) - Levi - Cost $925,000

Totals (14) - Cost $62,481,020

That leaves approximately $25,000,000 for max of 9 players [probably 8].

RFAs - Mitts, Krebs, Joki, Bryson, and UPL

UFAs - Robinson, KO, VO, Girgensons, and EJ.  

Can we afford Mitts?  Yes, we can!  The only RFAs that should return are UPL (I can't believe I'm typing that) and Mitts.  Under the UFAs, I can see Robinson being brought back, but he won't be getting the 1.6 he is getting right now.  The biggest expense, besides Mitts, facing the Sabres in the off-season will be getting a top 4 D.  It looks to me like Ryan Johnson is working hard to secure one of the two spots.   Odds also favor one of Savoie, Kulich and/or Rosen earning one of the forward slots.  

All told with re-signing Mitts (6 for 6.5), Robinson (1 yr @ 1.1), UPL, (2 years @1.75), and Kulich (918K), that brings us to $73,731,088 for 18 players.  The remaining roster holes are a 3/4 center, a top 4 D, a 12th/13th forward, and a 7th D.

Skinner TNT Tuch

JJP Mitts Quinn

Benson Cozens Kulich

Robinson ????? Greenway (?????)

Dahlin R Johnson

Power ??????

Mule Clifton (?????)

Levi and UPL

Knowing KA, he'll re-sign Joki and Krebs and bring back an entire status-quo roster that is failing this season.  Somebody who gives a darn about winning dumps those two and tries to actually improve the roster. The one thing he doesn't do is trade away his best forward from this season.

We have a lot of unproven, high caliber talent.

Add in some veteran grinders on the 4th line and keep the 3rd open for who's-next. Pick up a top-4D and a bottom-4D, and a rental goalie with our top picks and prospects.

Things might be sunnier than we are seeing this year.

Edited by seer775
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Comparing a 25 year old Mitts to a 22 year old Cozens is kind of bonkers. People couldn’t wait to run Mitts out of town three years ago.  

And what goes around comes around.  Blink-182 was SOOOOOOO close.  Nobody loves you when you're twenty-two, they all shout out go #### you.  What's their age again, what's their age again?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Comparing a 25 year old Mitts to a 22 year old Cozens is kind of bonkers. People couldn’t wait to run Mitts out of town three years ago.  

So we are supposed to wait three more years for our core to develop and complete their game? I said it the other day but our perspective in Buffalo is so warped with all of the teenagers and twenty year olds playing games the last decade.  The average NHLer is probably just finding his footing at 25. 

26 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I would do a pull up contest. The loser gets shipped out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, #freejame said:

So we are supposed to wait three more years for our core to develop and complete their game? I said it the other day but our perspective in Buffalo is so warped with all of the teenagers and twenty year olds playing games the last decade.  The average NHLer is probably just finding his footing at 25. 

I think you’re taking my statement in a way that I did not intend it. I felt like the poster I quoted comparing the players was missing some important context. 

With that said, I agree with your sentiment. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I think you’re taking my statement in a way that I did not intend it. I felt like the poster I quoted comparing the players was missing some important context. 

With that said, I agree with your sentiment. 

I think that probably came off in a way I didn’t intend it to either. I also can read it the way you just explained on a second go around. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

I would do a pull up contest. The loser gets shipped out. 

Let’s do a gauntlet of challenges.  Start with pull ups, hardest shot, Mario Kart, who has a hotter girlfriend, see if Dylan can spell Mitts last name and see if Mitts can find Whitehorse on a map. The loser gets traded to San Jose. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

cozens Is just having a rough year I would rather keep hold of the 22 year old then Trade him away .

We would regret that

22 is really young for a forward. Guys taken in the 5-10 range of the first round sometimes they don't get 'it' until they are 23-25 years old.

With that said, Cozens had such a good year last year that its a real disappointment to see this year, espeically with how bad he is in his own zone.  And, you are paying him $7m on his new contract to score you 25+ goals per year, I don't think 10-20 goals is going to cut it starting next year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

22 is really young for a forward. Guys taken in the 5-10 range of the first round sometimes they don't get 'it' until they are 23-25 years old.

With that said, Cozens had such a good year last year that its a real disappointment to see this year, espeically with how bad he is in his own zone.  And, you are paying him $7m on his new contract to score you 25+ goals per year, I don't think 10-20 goals is going to cut it starting next year.

Duh 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Teemu Selänne was 22 when he played his rookie record season. He refused to leave Finland before he felt he was ready.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chair said:

Duh 

Nice way to add to the conversation!  I swear the attituded on this board are getting worse and worse as each day goes by.  The highlighted comment was part of a larger post, but I guess you just felt the need to throw a 'duh' out there didn't you?

6 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Teemu Selänne was 22 when he played his rookie record season. He refused to leave Finland before he felt he was ready.

There are exceptions to the rule, but they truly are exceptions.  Majority of draft picks that turn into good/great players drafted 5th to 15th overall, it does not work that way. Also, Selanne, TOTALL different Era, different NHL, pretty much a different game.

44 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

There are exceptions to the rule, but they truly are exceptions.  Majority of draft picks that turn into good/great players drafted 5th to 15th overall, it does not work that way. Also, Selanne, TOTALL different Era, different NHL, pretty much a different game.

What I was thinking about, but I did not get down in text very well, was the focus on that he made his debut when he felt he was ready. I think a lot of players, especially those who get drafted in the range you mentioned, aren't well prepared for NHL when they play their first games as 18-19y. I do not know if it is the players that believe they are ready, or if the teams push them to come over without enough good personnel to help with their development? Or what?

My strong opinion is that they are not physically, tactically or mentally ready at that age. And I do not understand why they are rushed into the toughest league in sports. And why Sabres have such a young team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Trade Mitts because we hope that Cozens might be equally as good in 3 years? 

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, both are young. One is much better than the other today on a team that needs more players like Mitts. 

22 hours ago, LTS said:

Skinner, not unless he agrees.

Cozens has no protections according to capfriendly.  Not sure if Power did.  That said, signing Mitts would not break the bank on this team.  But, if they are signing him to similar money as Cozens then you might as well trade Cozens or repurpose him in the lineup.  You don't pay two 2Cs.. not that I necessarily think Cozens is a center.

Right now Mitts is second on the team in P/GP and first in +/-.  I'm not trading him on the hopes that Cozens rebounds.  I sign Mitts and the Cozens has to prove he needs to be here or I am shipping him out.  I've seen more tenacity and hustle out of Mitts the past two seasons than I have Cozens.  He's not the workhorse he was labeled.. he's trying more to be a show horse.. and not having much to show for it.

Agreed. I also don't think the decision is looming in the immediate future. But I also think you have to find a way to keep Mitts. 

At the moment I think this team can make it all work and keep Mitts on a long term deal. But they are going to have to start making some hard decisions afterwards. The 2025 offseason will have JJP, Quinn, and Levi come due (RFA), and if freeing up Cozens $7M per year helps keep all those guys I think it is a slam dunk. Cozens will has another year/offseason to burn brighter.

For reference, Cozens $7.1M cap hit would make him right around the 11 highest paid RW in the league. Right now that winger money is better spent on JJP than it is Cozens. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:15 PM, Weave said:

My biggest concern is, how many more of this core are we going to lock up when they haven’t shown that they are at minimum a playoff level core?

Not that I am saying Mitts isnt a playoff caliber player, but man, none of these guys have demonstrated it.

There’s no sense acting like the particular combination of talent isn’t as important as the talent itself. It’s a huge concern. Casey just bears more of it right now cause so much of the rest of the core is locked up. There aren’t many spaces left really and solidifying a core that sits bottom of the league should be a concern and if it’s not, I think we’ve lost the plot.

I am a Casey guy. Even when his perception was at the lowest I was saying he’d still be a good third line player. He’s been even better. But I do not know what we should do 

12 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Statistical prime for forwards is like 23/24

14 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Nice way to add to the conversation!  I swear the attituded on this board are getting worse and worse as each day goes by.  The highlighted comment was part of a larger post, but I guess you just felt the need to throw a 'duh' out there didn't you?

I read the whole thing and regretted it. That last part was an obvious duh though 

Selanne had military obligations and regarding trade protection, players can't get that until they are 27 years old or played 7 seasons if I am not mistaken.

When is Mitts an UFA?

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Ducky said:

Selanne had military obligations and regarding trade protection, players can't get that until they are 27 years old or played 7 seasons if I am not mistaken.

When is Mitts an UFA?

2 years after this season.  A 3 year contract buys only 1 UFA year.  2 takes him right to the gates of UFA.

I would do 1 or 3(+), but I would prefer the + ... 7 or 8 years.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.