Come on Granato!!

SabreSam

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Get used to it around here, the Hyper Positive Pete's are happily ready to lecture you and gaslight you when you are not happy with their performance. This franchise has been lousy for most of its existence and is on a record run of futility and many of us older guys have endured this a lot longer than others. 

I've been enduring it since the Hawerchuk/May/Patty L/Fuhr days, so if you have for even longer I salute you.

My father and I went to the Sabres/Canes game and it was one of the very few sporting events I got to go to with my Dad in 1998 before he died.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199812210CAR.html

Since then, the Sabres had a couple of really exciting runs until the wheels fell off... I was shocked to see complacency here as if what the Sabres are now doing from season to season is acceptable. Thank you!

3 hours ago, EasternOHSabresFan said:

I've been enduring it since the Hawerchuk/May/Patty L/Fuhr days, so if you have for even longer I salute you.

My father and I went to the Sabres/Canes game and it was one of the very few sporting events I got to go to with my Dad in 1998 before he died.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199812210CAR.html

Since then, the Sabres had a couple of really exciting runs until the wheels fell off... I was shocked to see complacency here as if what the Sabres are now doing from season to season is acceptable. Thank you!

The bar is really really low here. I get attacked for too much negativity often, and that's fine, but it's usually by people who have accepted this crap for too long.  

It's pretty low on the ice as well. Benchings for poor play are pretty rare. Accountability is low. Accepting losing comes quickly and easily. There's always been too much individuality and not enough team in this era. Like it or not, it's the hallmark of the Pegula era and it's NOT the Sabres I grew up with. 

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The bar is really really low here. I get attacked for too much negativity often, and that's fine, but it's usually by people who have accepted this crap for too long.  

It's pretty low on the ice as well. Benchings for poor play are pretty rare. Accountability is low. Accepting losing comes quickly and easily. There's always been too much individuality and not enough team in this era. Like it or not, it's the hallmark of the Pegula era and it's NOT the Sabres I grew up with. 

Does any part of you separate the current team from the previous eleven seasons?

I think it is smart to. The current squad shouldn’t have to wear the baggage of Murray and Botterill eras, and the dismantling of the Eichel era was completed less than 1.5 seasons ago. 

If folks want to bang on Pegula, that’s fine. But every thread should not turn into that.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Does any part of you separate the current team from the previous eleven seasons?

I think it is smart to. The current squad shouldn’t have to wear the baggage of Murray and Botterill eras, and the dismantling of the Eichel era was completed less than 1.5 seasons ago. 

If folks want to bang on Pegula, that’s fine. But every thread should not turn into that.  

A lot of what @PerreaultForever  just said  I agree with, and you raise a good point as well.   The current core is not to blame and they look very promising. 

As for banging Pegula, it’s understandable for hockey fans to do it, his hockey record is abysmal.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Some fans can, and some fans can’t separate the joy/positivity or the frustration/negativity with the rosters, the coaches, the owners, the GM’s, the era, the arenas, or the year. It’s their Achilles heel when it comes to fair, honest, logical evaluations of the here and now. But hey, that’s just one fans opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's funny, but I have posted on TBD for so long but rarely do here, maybe because seeing the Sabres lose for so long has been too numbing. I simply don't understand how ANYONE could not be very negative at this point, because season after season the effort and management comes into question a lot. How bad could it be? Jack Eichel gets so pissed off at the Sabres over their treatment of him LITERALLY that he wants out, and what does he do? Win the Stanley Cup.

How can anyone not watch Eichel and not see how terrible we are now? It is DEFINITELY not the Sabres I grew up with... and the game has changed yeah, but not THAT MUCH... passion, effort and quality management STILL MATTER.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

5 minutes ago, EasternOHSabresFan said:

It's funny, but I have posted on TBD for so long but rarely do here, maybe because seeing the Sabres lose for so long has been too numbing. I simply don't understand how ANYONE could not be very negative at this point, because season after season the effort and management comes into question a lot. How bad could it be? Jack Eichel gets so pissed off at the Sabres over their treatment of him LITERALLY that he wants out, and what does he do? Win the Stanley Cup.

How can anyone not watch Eichel and not see how terrible we are now? It is DEFINITELY not the Sabres I grew up with... and the game has changed yeah, but not THAT MUCH... passion, effort and quality management STILL MATTER.

You do know … that Eichel asked to be traded. After his 10mil per contract was signed and BEFORE his injury and alleged “bad treatment” of him. Right? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

You do know … that Eichel asked to be traded. After his 10mil per contract was signed and BEFORE his injury and alleged “bad treatment” of him. Right? 

When a poo sandwich is made, I don't care what the order it was made in in FOUR YEARS of creating that poo sandwich... it still looks like a poo sandwich and tastes like a poo sandwich. Ohh, I'm sorry, ALLEGED poo sandwich 🙄

Edited by EasternOHSabresFan

The positive:  Greenway is a hell of a different player when healthy and Benson is here to stay.  Levi was excellent tonight.

The bad:  The Tage line is -2 on the season and has a cumulative 0 points.

The worst:  Clifton can go away and never come back.  -3 tonight and basically singlehandedly lost tonights game.

Going on year 3 of Don Granato and nothing seems to have changed, the forward group still doesn't play great defense and neither do the defensemen at times. I get that it's the beginning of the season but this is the Sabres ever year under Granato. Why the slow starts going into year 3? Why do we still have problems winning on home ice in year 3? He's a great developmental HC but I don't believe he's the right HC to lead us to the Stanley Cup playoffs and it's not just about the beginning of this season it's just more of the same and I really want to be wrong because I like the guy, seems like a great person but I just don't see him doing much than he has for this team, I'm sure i'll get the hate and hear the "relax it's only game 2" LOL . 

2 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Going on year 3 of Don Granato and nothing seems to have changed, the forward group still doesn't play great defense and neither do the defensemen at times. I get that it's the beginning of the season but this is the Sabres ever year under Granato. Why the slow starts going into year 3? Why do we still have problems winning on home ice in year 3? He's a great developmental HC but I don't believe he's the right HC to lead us to the Stanley Cup playoffs and it's not just about the beginning of this season it's just more of the same and I really want to be wrong because I like the guy, seems like a great person but I just don't see him doing much than he has for this team, I'm sure i'll get the hate and hear the "relax it's only game 2" LOL . 

Today was much better, though I'm not into moral victories. We hit at least 4 posts tonight. Clifton was directly responsible for all 3 goals:  Threw up on himself on goal 1, scored on himself on goal two and decided not to clear the front on goal 3. He could have/should have also been scored against on at least 4 other shifts. Never thought I'd say this, but, bench him and put in Bryson next game, or, maybe better yet, send Levi to Rochester (in a paper move) and bring up Johnson and let him play a game.

Overall team looked better than 2 nights ago.

After two games. No one needs to be benched. No one. 

Let’s see if they improve on tonight’s effort. 

I’d like to see UPL or Comrie rotate in. Not because anything negative regarding Levi.

Sky is already falling and falling hard for some fans. That’s a shame. 

I’m very optimistic of the talent on this team. 

Clifton had a rough game. Not all goals were his fault. No, they just weren’t. He’ll improve. I have no doubt.

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t expect DG to do anything. The franchise has spoken loudly through off-season inaction. They banked in catching lightning in a bottle twice with offensive production. The theory being with a good goalie in Levi we’d be competitive. I also think they thought Clifton would be that second pair, stay at home, defensive minded DMan. 

The franchise gambled. Top six are irrelevant right now. Clifton is a borderline liability. KO and Girgs are here as a sentiment and thank you for their historical effort. No I’m ice value from I have seen.

It could be turned around but admitting there is a problem is the first step. I don’t see KA and DG as being ready to accept there is a problem. In part because the fact it’s only been two games will be applied as the ends all no big deal.

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I don’t expect DG to do anything. The franchise has spoken loudly through off-season inaction. They banked in catching lightning in a bottle twice with offensive production. The theory being with a good goalie in Levi we’d be competitive. I also think they thought Clifton would be that second pair, stay at home, defensive minded DMan. 

The franchise gambled. Top six are irrelevant right now. Clifton is a borderline liability. KO and Girgs are here as a sentiment and thank you for their historical effort. No I’m ice value from I have seen.

It could be turned around but admitting there is a problem is the first step. I don’t see KA and DG as being ready to accept there is a problem. In part because the fact it’s only been two games will be applied as the ends all no big deal.

Yup. The Devils were in the same place as us and in 2 years Lindy turned them around. We look like we’ve gone backwards…. Again. Smh 

7 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I do look at each team/year separate but then those teams look the same and so you also have to look at bigger picture things. I'm a retired engineer and I used to do a lot of analysis of trends over longer time periods and bigger picture stuff. It was my strength. My brain is sort of trained to look for similarities and commonalities as a way of understanding cause. 

At a certain point you have to dive deep on a failure like this and look for those commonalities/causes/etc. Having tried to do that, I cannot come up with anything aside from the aforementioned Pegula. 

It's still early, but if this rebuild fails like the last you can't simply do it all over again and expect anything different. Not unless the commonality changes. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I do look at each team/year separate but then those teams look the same and so you also have to look at bigger picture things. I'm a retired engineer and I used to do a lot of analysis of trends over longer time periods and bigger picture stuff. It was my strength. My brain is sort of trained to look for similarities and commonalities as a way of understanding cause. 

At a certain point you have to dive deep on a failure like this and look for those commonalities/causes/etc. Having tried to do that, I cannot come up with anything aside from the aforementioned Pegula. 

It's still early, but if this rebuild fails like the last you can't simply do it all over again and expect anything different. Not unless the commonality changes. 

When have we had a good coach?

• Haha (+1) 1

In my opinion after Lindy Ruff… The next good coach we had/have is Don Granato.

In my opinion …

Ron Rolston was ridiculous.

Ted Nolan was abysmal, and banking on his previous success.

Dan Bylsma just flat out sucked.

Phil Housley was ill prepared more nights than not.

Ralph Kruger was just not ready for prime time almost every game.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.