Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I think there is a lot of pressure from the NHLPA with Mullet Arena not being up to par. 

This would be interesting 

So Arizona/Phoenix with an expansion team while Utah gets the Yotes f I'm reading this correctly.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

So Arizona/Phoenix with an expansion team while Utah gets the Yotes f I'm reading this correctly.

They have stadium plan, but if they can't buy the land - might be temporary relocation or forever 🙂

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

It would make sense rather than having the team play in Mullett which the PA hates.

The NHL doesn’t want to leave a Top Ten Television Market if they can find a suitable arena. This would also give other potential owners time to get there bid in order 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:
4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

It would make sense rather than having the team play in Mullett which the PA hates.

The NHL doesn’t want to leave a Top Ten Television Market if they can find a suitable arena. This would also give other potential owners time to get there bid in order 

If the Yotes leave the Phoenix area, I don't see the NHL expanding back into that market with the same ownership.  The ownership is a large part of why that team has been such a ***** show; why give him another franchise?  Would they expect a different outcome?  Why would they?

Also- He doesn't even have the land to build on, Scottsdale doesn't want to build the infrastructure.  I think he would have to clear those hurdles and have a stadium well into construction before they would even consider giving him a franchise.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Also- He doesn't even have the land to build on, Scottsdale doesn't want to build the infrastructure.  I think he would have to clear those hurdles and have a stadium well into construction before they would even consider giving him a franchise.

The development isn't in Scottsdale, but just adjacent to it. The mayor just changed his tune, saying he's ok with it, as long as there is a plan to deal with traffic hitting Scottsdale.

It sounds like, if the win the auction, there is a lot a prep work to be done, which will take quite a while with planning and actually doing the work. The league does not want 3 more years at Mullet.

It has come out that talks with SLC have been going on for a bit, even while the ownership group was talking up the new project, so I think it's highly likely that the NHL would give Phoenix an expansion team in a few years.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If the NHL offered him a billion would he take it?

which coincidentally is about the anticipated cost of the expansion fee. Imagine that.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

If the Yotes leave the Phoenix area, I don't see the NHL expanding back into that market with the same ownership.  The ownership is a large part of why that team has been such a ***** show; why give him another franchise?  Would they expect a different outcome?  Why would they?

He's only been owner for a few seasons. He's not the reason that there has been problems. It's all been poorly managed since day one and it seems that the politically connected really don't like the idea of a hockey team, for some reason. They bend over backwards for Dbacks, Cardinals and Suns, but throw up every possible roadblock for the Coyotes.

They started in a basketball arena with obstructed seats, then they build in the wrong part of town... poor ownership all along the way. This owner seems dedicated to Phoenix, plus the project is much more than the arena, so a real money maker in a great location. Hockey is pretty big out here and growing. Youth hockey is great here, ASU division I hockey is a strong program and lots of people here from hockey cities. It's just been handled so poorly since day 1.

35 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

so I think it's highly likely that the NHL would give Phoenix an expansion team in a few years.

If they stay with the same owner they're morons.  And I bet there will be no new arena, not even close, by 2028.

They way I see it, if Meruelo manages to get the arena built then they will give him the expansion franchise.  If he hits delay after delay and spins his wheels, they'll look elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

He's only been owner for a few seasons. He's not the reason that there has been problems. It's all been poorly managed since day one and it seems that the politically connected really don't like the idea of a hockey team, for some reason. They bend over backwards for Dbacks, Cardinals and Suns, but throw up every possible roadblock for the Coyotes.

They started in a basketball arena with obstructed seats, then they build in the wrong part of town... poor ownership all along the way. This owner seems dedicated to Phoenix, plus the project is much more than the arena, so a real money maker in a great location. Hockey is pretty big out here and growing. Youth hockey is great here, ASU division I hockey is a strong program and lots of people here from hockey cities. It's just been handled so poorly since day 1.

I'll believe it when I see it.

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If they stay with the same owner they're morons.  And I bet there will be no new arena, not even close, by 2028.

They way I see it, if Meruelo manages to get the arena built then they will give him the expansion franchise.  If he hits delay after delay and spins his wheels, they'll look elsewhere.

I'll believe it when I see it.

No kidding. That seems pretty obvious.

37 minutes ago, Jorcus said:

The problem with losing the Yotes is the howl after a goal. I will miss hearing that. 

Those of us that live here have been waiting so long to get things straightened out, it seemed for a moment that it might just happen this time. 

The organization has stockpiled high draft picks the past few seasons,  a ridiculous amount.  The future looked bright on the ice,  but could never get it right off of it.

16 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Those of us that live here have been waiting so long to get things straightened out, it seemed for a moment that it might just happen this time. 

The organization has stockpiled high draft picks the past few seasons,  a ridiculous amount.  The future looked bright on the ice,  but could never get it right off of it.

IMG_3556.jpeg

• Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Reading comprehension isn't your strength,  is it?

It wasn’t meant to be a shot toward you.  

The future looking bright has been a fan narrative for the last three rebuilds.  It was me just having a little fun with the concept as an aside to your analysis is all.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

It wasn’t meant to be a shot toward you.  

The future looking bright has been a fan narrative for the last three rebuilds.  It was me just having a little fun with the concept as an aside to your analysis is all.  

OK. Sorry for that.  It's frustrating to follow 2 teams that always disappoint. I'm a bit upset at how this has come about. 

The owners come out and insist , we will win the auction for the land,  and now crickets for the last couple days. 

• Thanks (+1) 1