Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think we mathematically had a pretty good shot 

How many of those 19 were in a row, you ask? 

All of them. He’s never not been point a game 

And still 1300 points behind Gretzky. It just goes to show you how absurd his numbers are. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think we mathematically had a pretty good shot 

How many of those 19 were in a row, you ask? 

All of them. He’s never not been point a game 

Actually, mathematically, not all that great of a shot as you might think. 6.3%   We ended up drafting 13th and who can forget Marek Zagrapan! It wasn't weighted the same way it is now where you can only fall so far. 48 balls and Sabres had 3 of them.

(which is 3 more than most of our current players have but that's another topic :))

• Thanks (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Weave said:

Line brawl on the opening faceoff, NYR vs NJD

LOl

It was pretty funny, but I found myself wondering if this was Buffalo, if we were in New Jersey's spot and Rempe had run idk say Benson and Peterka for argument's sake and then he'd taunted us like he taunted New Jersey's bench what would we have done? Sadly, I think the answer is nothing. 

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Do we have anyone on the team worthy of participating in this? Would be nice to have one or two. 

The first fight was Vesey Lazar, ex-Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1

Watching Vancouver in Arizona.

Even the camera angles seem minor league in that rink.

Does Bettman retire if they relocate to Salt Lake?  He is probably the only reason they have been there so long.

I think he wants to reign over one more expansion, fattening the owners wallets.

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Tampa Bay now only 4 points behind Toronto. Talk about a team peaking at the right time. They will be a dangerous team to face first round. 

They have another run left in them.

They will miss Sergachev but he could be back later on.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, French Collection said:

They have another run left in them.

They will miss Sergachev but he could be back later on.

I think so. The team is well balanced and they have all the right parts. They could go out first round but they could also go far. If they end up playing Florida that will be a war, and a hell of a series to watch. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It was pretty funny, but I found myself wondering if this was Buffalo, if we were in New Jersey's spot and Rempe had run idk say Benson and Peterka for argument's sake and then he'd taunted us like he taunted New Jersey's bench what would we have done? Sadly, I think the answer is nothing. 

The first fight was Vesey Lazar, ex-Sabres. 

Big brawl...yawn. Of course there is no one to challenge Rempke on the Sabres. And to be honest I really do not care. I would have liked us to keep Marcus or get someone to fill that role when needed for sure however.   

Edited by sabrefanday1
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Big brawl...yawn. Of course there is no one to challenge Rempke on the Sabres. And to be honest I really do not care. I would have liked us to keep Marcus or get someone to fill that role when needed for sure however.   

I too would LIKE someone on the Sabres to have the ability to 'answer the bell' in those situations, but I don't care that much.  There are some who lement fighting leaving the league and some who don't need it at all. Give me end to end hockey with goals, and I don't need it at all.

But it is what it is. I was watching the game last night and when the puck dropped, I didn't turn away form the TV. But for Rempe himself, something about him rubs me the wrong way.  A couple of dirty hits, doesn't seem to be going out of his way to avoid them.  Then he gets in fights...some are a draw, some he losses, and yet he seems to always want to skate by the opponents bench and say something or salute the crowd after a fight. Its like man, you got in a fight you didn't win...the reason you got in that fight is because you dirty hit someone, and after that fight you are going to go yapp at the opponents bench on the way off the ice?  To me, not cool.

• Like (+1) 2

Yes that garbage went out of the league years ago. Seen Reeves, another guy who should not be in the league, hitting Hedman which begs the question...Hedman is not overly physcial and certainly does not fight or even hit that much yet he is huge and plays very well. On this board lots criticize our defense for being small or not hitting yet Hedman and Tampa get by quite fine without him being all that aggressive. Seems to me that both Hedman and Tampa have won some nice hardware recently no? MInd you Tampa are pretty dirty at times.

And little Bryson is playing very well this year so with the good young prospects we have on defense maybe trade a d-man for a physcial forward who can actually play too...oh and  I would like Boone Jenner too please

Edited by sabrefanday1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I too would LIKE someone on the Sabres to have the ability to 'answer the bell' in those situations, but I don't care that much.  There are some who lement fighting leaving the league and some who don't need it at all. Give me end to end hockey with goals, and I don't need it at all.

But it is what it is. I was watching the game last night and when the puck dropped, I didn't turn away form the TV. But for Rempe himself, something about him rubs me the wrong way.  A couple of dirty hits, doesn't seem to be going out of his way to avoid them.  Then he gets in fights...some are a draw, some he losses, and yet he seems to always want to skate by the opponents bench and say something or salute the crowd after a fight. Its like man, you got in a fight you didn't win...the reason you got in that fight is because you dirty hit someone, and after that fight you are going to go yapp at the opponents bench on the way off the ice?  To me, not cool.

Rempe quickly embraced the Heel persona.  The whole league is going to hate him in no time.

Reeves didn’t have a heel persona when the league was ripe with heavyweights.  He was more a middleweight or light heavy and knew it wouldn’t do well.  Since the heavyweight became extinct Reeves found he could get away with being an ass.  Rempe is right there in his footsteps.  He’d better learn to fight tactically soon cuz there are several guys that are more than willing and able to give him a beating.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Rempe quickly embraced the Heel persona.  The whole league is going to hate him in no time.

Reeves didn’t have a heel persona when the league was ripe with heavyweights.  He was more a middleweight or light heavy and knew it wouldn’t do well.  Since the heavyweight became extinct Reeves found he could get away with being an ass.  Rempe is right there in his footsteps.  He’d better learn to fight tactically soon cuz there are several guys that are more than willing and able to give him a beating.

Plus I'm not so sure his teamates will like that if that is ALL he does.   The league is different now. Years ago the non-fighters would want the fighter on your team...fights happened more often, and you would rather the 'heavyweight' take care of it so you didn't have to.

But now, a Guy like Rempe...it can become an arms race.  He does what he does..and not only does the team he does that too dress their 'enforcer' the next game, but him, and the 'marginal enforcers' are looking for something to happen. As a teammate on the Rangers, you just went from playing your game to now having one, or a FEW guys on the other team you face having that 'itchy fighting hand' or at least maybe those guys looking to make that 'borderline dirty hit' on SOMEONE on your team (maybe you) that would not have happened if Rempe didn't do the things you do.  So yeah. it can still be part of the game, and it was a bigger part of the game in the past. But I think a lot of modern-day players, the ultra skilled guys....Rempe's act will wear thin with them as a teammate much quicker than it did in the past.   Its not the fighting alone, its the fighting, the 'build up' to the fight, the dirty hits and the 'heel persona' he is taking on (waving at or chirping at the other teams bench)

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Plus I'm not so sure his teamates will like that if that is ALL he does.   The league is different now. Years ago the non-fighters would want the fighter on your team...fights happened more often, and you would rather the 'heavyweight' take care of it so you didn't have to.

But now, a Guy like Rempe...it can become an arms race.  He does what he does..and not only does the team he does that too dress their 'enforcer' the next game, but him, and the 'marginal enforcers' are looking for something to happen. As a teammate on the Rangers, you just went from playing your game to now having one, or a FEW guys on the other team you face having that 'itchy fighting hand' or at least maybe those guys looking to make that 'borderline dirty hit' on SOMEONE on your team (maybe you) that would not have happened if Rempe didn't do the things you do.  So yeah. it can still be part of the game, and it was a bigger part of the game in the past. But I think a lot of modern-day players, the ultra skilled guys....Rempe's act will wear thin with them as a teammate much quicker than it did in the past.   Its not the fighting alone, its the fighting, the 'build up' to the fight, the dirty hits and the 'heel persona' he is taking on (waving at or chirping at the other teams bench)

His entire team just came to his defense from the starting lineup to the head coach. I don’t think he’s an issue whatsoever. He wasn’t even the first to drop his gloves last night, that was Vesey. The message from the Rangers was you want to talk a bunch of ***** about our guy to the media and come after him well ***** you we’re going to come after you instead. 

23 minutes ago, #freejame said:

His entire team just came to his defense from the starting lineup to the head coach. I don’t think he’s an issue whatsoever. He wasn’t even the first to drop his gloves last night, that was Vesey. The message from the Rangers was you want to talk a bunch of ***** about our guy to the media and come after him well ***** you we’re going to come after you instead. 

I get your point, but if he doesn't evolve, eventually it may get to the point I said.  Boys will be boys, even the non-fighters might like a game like that occasionally, but if he keeps cheap shotting other players on the other team, and he keeps taunting the other teams bench, my point is it may get worse and not in a good way for his team.

4 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Yes that garbage went out of the league years ago. Seen Reeves, another guy who should not be in the league, hitting Hedman which begs the question...Hedman is not overly physcial and certainly does not fight or even hit that much yet he is huge and plays very well. On this board lots criticize our defense for being small or not hitting yet Hedman and Tampa get by quite fine without him being all that aggressive. Seems to me that both Hedman and Tampa have won some nice hardware recently no? MInd you Tampa are pretty dirty at times.

And little Bryson is playing very well this year so with the good young prospects we have on defense maybe trade a d-man for a physcial forward who can actually play too...oh and  I would like Boone Jenner too please

Jenner just announced the stillborn birth of their son. I don’t think him and his wife are looking to pick up and move at this point.

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

So what's your opinion of Skinner who constantly chirps at opposing teams? Doesn't back it up but taunts and chirps all the time. Point being this is far from a unique thing. It happens all over. Rempe is acting like the Heel in wrestling. It's a show to win over fans and win a job. He's huge but he's over doing it and getting his share. He will wear down.

Which gets to the point a lot of (often younger) fans who are anti fighting don't get. If you talk to these guys or listen to the stories from the retired ones, having to answer the bell wears on you too and you don't want to have to do it all the time. So when that's a thing, you sometimes think twice before laying a guy out and so that too protects your stars and other players. Less liberties are taken. The Sabres bubble thinks they can get away with the fancy new hockey, but if we do improve enough to be looked upon as a threat or team to worry about it's coming like it or not and we as a team will have to be ready for it. Right now, we are definitely not. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So what's your opinion of Skinner who constantly chirps at opposing teams? Doesn't back it up but taunts and chirps all the time. Point being this is far from a unique thing. It happens all over. Rempe is acting like the Heel in wrestling. It's a show to win over fans and win a job. He's huge but he's over doing it and getting his share. He will wear down.

Which gets to the point a lot of (often younger) fans who are anti fighting don't get. If you talk to these guys or listen to the stories from the retired ones, having to answer the bell wears on you too and you don't want to have to do it all the time. So when that's a thing, you sometimes think twice before laying a guy out and so that too protects your stars and other players. Less liberties are taken. The Sabres bubble thinks they can get away with the fancy new hockey, but if we do improve enough to be looked upon as a threat or team to worry about it's coming like it or not and we as a team will have to be ready for it. Right now, we are definitely not. 

My opinion has always been the ultimate solution is for the NHL to fine players for anything dangerous.  Anything that can cause an escalation, anything that could justify a fight, you fine.  If the refs don't see it, but its on camera (and EVERYTHIGN is on camera) you fine it.  The whole thing of 'its a physical game its going to happen' doesn't hold for me because the NFL is a lot more physical, and you don't see fights much in the NFL you don't see people taking out other players from behind every single game...not nearly as much as you would think. Why? the NFL fines that stuff.

Again, the players union doesn't want it, but start fining guys for all the cheap stuff, whether it leads to an injury or not, and it'll go way down.  I just personally don't like the cheap stuff at all.

• dislike 1

We should probably just make the playoffs, considering the cut off is going to be about 81 points 

What do we have, 6 games left?

2–2-2 should get it done 

2-3-1 maybe: I could see the caps and flyers misplacing a point or two

we actually might already be in a playoff spot 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We should probably just make the playoffs, considering the cut off is going to be about 81 points 

What do we have, 6 games left?

2–2-2 should get it done 

2-3-1 maybe: I could see the caps and flyers misplacing a point or two

we actually might already be in a playoff spot 

National Hockey League Hello GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

It amazes me how old Ovechkin looks. He’s not even 40 yet. Is it Russian genes or some type of PEDs?

There are some rumours about him being a couple of years older than what he says. One story I recall quoted Kovalchuk saying they had wanted to play together in the NHL since they were like 8 years old. Kovalchuk is two years older than Ovie.