Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

4 hours ago, LTS said:

Ryan O'Reilly always loves hockey when his team wins... when it doesn't he loses his love of the game and wanders off to another team. He pushed his was out of Colorado, he pushed his way out of Buffalo, he straight up abandoned Toronto...

Don't give him too much credit... The Predators are a good team.. ROR is just a piece of it.  They lucked into an exceptional coach after Florida and New Jersey both decided on other options.  It's worked OK for Florida, not so much for NJ.

This is true, to a point, his contribution to the team is so much more than just points. I don't believe Nashville is a playoff team without him. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's the contrast though right? 

It is a very interesting contrast. As a fan of both teams (and a Preds season ticket holder), I find the contrast interesting. I love what Trotts has done. His biggest achievement though was getting O'rielly and Nyquist to sign as free agents. They've been on the top line with Forsberg since day one, contribute offensively, have been great defensively, provide points on the power play, and have remained healthy all season. Nashville is definitely not a playoff team, and likely a bottom five team, without these two players. Trotts even signed them to reasonable contracts. 

But, if Trotts was the GM in Buffalo, he's not getting those players to sign. I believe there are many very good players that would come to Buffalo once they've been winning for a couple years, it's a rabid fan base and a great place to raise a family. For a single twenty-something with lots of disposable income there's not much of a night life. Some won't care about that, but most will. Add in the losing and the weather, it's probably pretty miserable. 

The winning has to come first. Then we can get free agents. You're a smart guy, you know this. I think adams is doing the right think with the draft and develop strategy, for this city, at this time. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

It is a very interesting contrast. As a fan of both teams (and a Preds season ticket holder), I find the contrast interesting. I love what Trotts has done. His biggest achievement though was getting O'rielly and Nyquist to sign as free agents. They've been on the top line with Forsberg since day one, contribute offensively, have been great defensively, provide points on the power play, and have remained healthy all season. Nashville is definitely not a playoff team, and likely a bottom five team, without these two players. Trotts even signed them to reasonable contracts. 

But, if Trotts was the GM in Buffalo, he's not getting those players to sign. I believe there are many very good players that would come to Buffalo once they've been winning for a couple years, it's a rabid fan base and a great place to raise a family. For a single twenty-something with lots of disposable income there's not much of a night life. Some won't care about that, but most will. Add in the losing and the weather, it's probably pretty miserable. 

The winning has to come first. Then we can get free agents. You're a smart guy, you know this. I think adams is doing the right think with the draft and develop strategy, for this city, at this time. 

I agree only in part. I don't think what Adams is doing is the right thing. It's too  far in one direction imo. Does he have to rely heavily on the draft? Of course he does. Buffalo is also definitely on no trade lists, but you just aren't going to win without a proper mix of veterans/leaders and young kids with talent. You need to make a serious run at winning to convince players you are serious about winning. You build an incredibly young team and veterans (even those from Ontario who might like the location) are going to think "I don't have time to wait for that to develop, I want to win sooner than later." It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

I also believe if you had someone like Trotts as your GM you'd command more respect and people would believe you were in fact serious about winning. 

Culture change is the big key difference imo. We could have paid Schenn more than they did. We could have overpaid Hathaway. There are things we could have done to make a stronger push now and turn that winning idea into reality. Trading away a 2C who has finally come into his own in his prime signals the opposite. It makes us look like a farm team and nothing more

Question for you, are you a bigger Preds fan or Sabres fan and has that changed over time? I'm guessing you were a Sabres fan and maybe moved to Nashville? I think you are in a similar spot to me in terms of Preds/Sabres as I am with bruins/Sabres but I could be wrong. You might just like the uniforms 🙂

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I was close…..

As was I. I think you said 7 and I said 5 so right in between. Repeat offender and deserved, but I'd also say Trouba has done worse this year and gotten nothing  for it (he has had another suspension I know). 

Going to hurt Washington's chances for sure, but they were already a long shot imo. 

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree only in part. I don't think what Adams is doing is the right thing. It's too  far in one direction imo. Does he have to rely heavily on the draft? Of course he does. Buffalo is also definitely on no trade lists, but you just aren't going to win without a proper mix of veterans/leaders and young kids with talent. You need to make a serious run at winning to convince players you are serious about winning. You build an incredibly young team and veterans (even those from Ontario who might like the location) are going to think "I don't have time to wait for that to develop, I want to win sooner than later." It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

I also believe if you had someone like Trotts as your GM you'd command more respect and people would believe you were in fact serious about winning. 

Culture change is the big key difference imo. We could have paid Schenn more than they did. We could have overpaid Hathaway. There are things we could have done to make a stronger push now and turn that winning idea into reality. Trading away a 2C who has finally come into his own in his prime signals the opposite. It makes us look like a farm team and nothing more

Question for you, are you a bigger Preds fan or Sabres fan and has that changed over time? I'm guessing you were a Sabres fan and maybe moved to Nashville? I think you are in a similar spot to me in terms of Preds/Sabres as I am with bruins/Sabres but I could be wrong. You might just like the uniforms 🙂

2nd bolded: fair question. I grew up in Buffalo and loved the Sabres since I was a toddler watching the games with my dad. When the Sabres come to town i cheer for the Sabres. I've been in middle Tennessee for about 25 years (fun fact: over 80% of Fort Campbell is in Tennessee, but because the post office is on the kentucky side it's fort Campbell, kentucky. Regardless, while I was on active duty I lived in Clarksville, Tennessee before settling in Nashville after I retired. ) my Fandom is in part geography, thier the local team, thier what's on TV, local sports talk, what I can get tickets to. They grew on me. In part because I loved Pekka. In part because I appreciated Suter and Weber in thier prime, and now Josi. In part because they've never had superstar forwards, in order to win they had to develop a culture of a tough, gritty, hard to play against team. Like you, that's something I appreciate and am drawn to. In part because my wife and I occasionally play pickleball with a member of the staff and his wife. Our wives met in a zumba class and became friends. 

First bolded: I was one of Mitts biggest supporters and have said he was our best forward this year numerous times. Colorado never adequately replaced Kadri, they tried with Johansson but it failed. They are one of the favorites to win the cup and Mitts fill a huge hole, maybe the only hole on thier roster. They are a better team with Mitts on it then Byram. The avs also have a generational player in Makar, Toews is his partner, Byram was relegated to 2nd pair minutes. The addition of Mitts outweighs what they lost in Byram based on what they have and what thier needs were. I think Byram is a top pair defender. Not will be. Is. It's possible in three years we may look back on this trade and Adams fleeced the Avs. 

In general I agree with you. I wish adams would do more. I'm sure you remember I advocated claiming tolvanen, proposed giving up a kings ransom for Saros prior to the draft, and wanted various upgrades in free agency. 

• Like (+1) 2

Taken to watching Colorado a little since Mitts went over there. Such a good team; full throttle all of the time and relentless net front presence usually by two Avs at a time.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Hank said:

This is true, to a point, his contribution to the team is so much more than just points. I don't believe Nashville is a playoff team without him. 

I believe this. For what it's worth I don't think ROR is a bad player, he's a good player and will benefit a team. However, he's also demonstrated that he needs other names around him and the spotlight to be shared or he tends to wilt. Nashville has the names around him without a doubt.

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

And the  Islanders won 

And it's only the 2nd lol

At this point the Sabres having a 3% shot or whatever on Moneypuck is absurd. It’s definitively over. Yes, others were saying it earlier: it’s definitely true now 

There’s nothing important left in these last 11 games 

10 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

They will overtake Philly I would think.  

Maybe, but Philly is playing tough. Beat Boston at their own game today. Erik Johnson even doing some things for them surprisingly. Philly will not go down easily. 

5 hours ago, LTS said:

I believe this. For what it's worth I don't think ROR is a bad player, he's a good player and will benefit a team. However, he's also demonstrated that he needs other names around him and the spotlight to be shared or he tends to wilt. Nashville has the names around him without a doubt.

So Eichel and Reinhart weren't "names"? I think your theory is flawed. 

I do find it funny that Chad is still continuing with the “Chart” thing, at this point. We’d have to win out to have a chance, not sure what it even aids in calculating at this point