Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Just heard Rempe suspended four games for that nasty elbow to the head...start of the end for the guy...

I am pleasantly surprised it was 4 games.  Usually first offenders get the stink eye and told next time they’ll be a first offender again.

I suppose being in the league less than one month and clowning the other team was too much to not suspend.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I am pleasantly surprised it was 4 games.  Usually first offenders get the stink eye and told next time they’ll be a first offender again.

I suppose being in the league less than one month and clowning the other team was too much to not suspend.

Isn't this the second time he has made a Devil bleed? Guy's probably buying into his own hype at this point. Good to knock him down a peg or two.

On 3/12/2024 at 11:11 AM, North Buffalo said:

Actually kid can skate, forecheck, beast in front of the net... not a bad shot either...

He’s an AHLer at best. Just flavour of the month because it fights people smaller than himself

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I disagree.

Fair enough, I respect that. My reasoning for wanting/liking expansion is two fold. I believe a larger American footprint will increase TV deals, increase revenue, increase the salary cap, I believe this strengthens the overall health of the league. Vegas and Seattle have been very successful so far. The other reason is I'm hoping that if the NHL gets enough teams they will have no choice but to go to a schedule where each team plays every other team home and home. That's the only way to get a true balanced schedule. No divisions, no conferences, just one table where the top 16 teams make the playoffs and teams are appropriately seeded. No more playoffs where two of the top five teams end up playing in the first round. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Fair enough, I respect that. My reasoning for wanting/liking expansion is two fold. I believe a larger American footprint will increase TV deals, increase revenue, increase the salary cap, I believe this strengthens the overall health of the league. Vegas and Seattle have been very successful so far. The other reason is I'm hoping that if the NHL gets enough teams they will have no choice but to go to a schedule where each team plays every other team home and home. That's the only way to get a true balanced schedule. No divisions, no conferences, just one table where the top 16 teams make the playoffs and teams are appropriately seeded. No more playoffs where two of the top five teams end up playing in the first round. 

Why do you care about an increased in revenue or cap? Tickets are already too expensive and the league is already strong. I genuinely don’t care about a balanced schedule, either. That stuff works itself out over an 82 game season and 4 rounds of playoffs, anyway.

More importantly, none of that makes the game itself better. There are too many historically AHL level players already in the league. With less elite talent to go around, percentage wise, you will see more dynasties as teams amass a bunch of good players, which is absolutely not good for the league overall. It certainly won’t be good for the Sabres,… or Nashville.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

I sometimes forget that Atlanta had a team 

TWICE.  They relocated to Calgary and to Winnipeg.

2 hours ago, TheAud said:

It'll be good to get a team in Atlanta so it can eventually move to Quebec

Way ahead of ya, pal.

On 3/12/2024 at 3:44 PM, Doohickie said:

They'll end up in Quebec after five years.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Caps already down 1-0 to the Oilers

Scratch that - 2-0 Oilers

Out of town scoreboard has been in our favour of late 

Edited by Thorny

Nashville's point streak is up to 13 games, 11-0-2. They beat the Jets tonight 4-2, the game was not as close as the score. Nashville was relentless and dominated play. I hope they match up with Vancouver in the first round. 

Edited by Hank

10 of the last 12 out of town scores we’ve needed (Tampa, Detroit, islanders, devils, caps, pens) have gone our way, in addition to winning 2 in a row 

so, 12 of last 14 results have broken our way 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Caps down 6-2 now, oops - 7-2 now. They're done and look awful.

They’re not done. They came into today with an identical record over their last 10 games to us

2 points up on us with 2 in hand = ~ 4 points up on us. And they are the easiest of the 3 we need to catch 

Edited by Thorny

On 3/12/2024 at 3:07 PM, Weave said:

I'm not really against it. Might teach the kid a lesson, but imo it does go against previous precedents and there's a lack of consistency there. First offence is supposed to be lighter for a play like that. If that's the new bar that's fine, but it has to be applied to ALL cases going forward. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

They’re not done. They came into today with an identical record over their last 10 games to us

2 points up on us with 2 in hand = ~ 4 points up on us. And they are the easiest of the 3 we need to catch 

I don't like their chances against the Kraken tomorrow, or the Canucks on Saturday.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not really against it. Might teach the kid a lesson, but imo it does go against previous precedents and there's a lack of consistency there. First offence is supposed to be lighter for a play like that. If that's the new bar that's fine, but it has to be applied to ALL cases going forward. 

Hence my 2nd paragraph.  My suspicion is, if he didn’t pull the clown act on his way off the ice as a <30 day employee of the NHL, the standard wrist slap and stern look would have applied. He went for the heel routine and got a much bigger ding.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

There is probably a difference in the thought process though, between assessing such a first-time infraction by a guy whose played 500 NHL games and never been a problem and a guy who has played 10 career games, leads his team in PM and is clearly on the team to do this sort of thing. 

Edited by Archie Lee