Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

50 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I like the fact that van is currently playing lights out or has been for most of the first half and still wants to improve. If only our braintrust put that emphasis on winning.

• Like (+1) 3

What are the chances KA will take notice and make a blockbuster trade of his own for the Sabres before the trade deadline?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

With how Lindholm has looked as of late, that's a very risky move for Vancouver. Lindholm will need to bounce back.

Calgary gets the better end of this one in my opinion, they get a 1st as well as a player in Kuzmenko who put up 39 goals last year. As well as some other dudes.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Moving a team doesn’t help give the owners club a boost of money and a new market. Arizona has Bettman keeping it safe and the NHL would be nuts to move the Sabres with our positive TV numbers and proximity to Toronto. 

Oh I know. Expansion is all about lining the pockets of owners no question so they probably will. I'm just saying I wouldn't want it. Product is diluted enough as it is. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

With how Lindholm has looked as of late, that's a very risky move for Vancouver. Lindholm will need to bounce back.

Calgary gets the better end of this one in my opinion, they get a 1st as well as a player in Kuzmenko who put up 39 goals last year. As well as some other dudes.  

Kuzmenko is a one trick pony teams have figured him out 

We all know in our Sabres hearts that this is 100% not going to happen in Buffalo. We have to stick to the plan!!! (The failing one) Stuff like this makes me sick. At least some teams take a risk to try and get better. We are going to stick with status quo, and not have room for the prospects and lose them for nothing, because KA has no clue. 

• Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

So what? So what if Kuzmenko scores 50 goals next year?  Nobody in Vancouver cares.

This is an example of how fast a rebuild can work if you hire a good coach and a competent GM. Kuzmenko was a poor fit to Tochet's hard work system and thus he was expendable and they are all in on winning and winning now. The fans are excited, the team is a contender and the Canucks are thriving again. 

So yay for Calgary they won the trade, and they can enjoy watching the Canucks in the post season. 

Sabres win trades too. Yay?

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So what? So what if Kuzmenko scores 50 goals next year?  Nobody in Vancouver cares.

This is an example of how fast a rebuild can work if you hire a good coach and a competent GM. Kuzmenko was a poor fit to Tochet's hard work system and thus he was expendable and they are all in on winning and winning now. The fans are excited, the team is a contender and the Canucks are thriving again. 

So yay for Calgary they won the trade, and they can enjoy watching the Canucks in the post season. 

A-frickin-Men.  If you give a ***** about whether the player you move out succeeds, and base your decision on that, you’ll never make a trade with a meaningful outcome.

The one and only thing that matters is, is your team’s success improved.  Who ***** cares if the other team, or your former player improves.  It’s not relevant.

I am starting to think that our issue with KAs performance is that he GMs scared. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If Lindholm doesn't go back to being a solid defensive center like he had been prior to this season; its not a good trade for Vancouver barring a long playoff run seeing as they won't be able to sign him regardless. Trading all that for about 30 games of a player and then "losing in the 1st round" isn't what I would deem an effective trade at the end of the day. If he helps them win a Cup no cost is too great. Anything in-between is up for debate.

As for Kuzmenko, he was a bad fit with Tocchet's style and thus expendable. That being said, if he scores 50 next season and after a disappointing playoff exit, Vancouver outright loses Lindholm; I highly doubt Vancouver's fans will be like, " Well we got to play 6 games in the playoffs so I'm overjoyed....." 

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

A-frickin-Men.  If you give a ***** about whether the player you move out succeeds, and base your decision on that, you’ll never make a trade with a meaningful outcome.

The one and only thing that matters is, is your team’s success improved.  Who ***** cares if the other team, or your former player improves.  It’s not relevant.

I am starting to think that our issue with KAs performance is that he GMs scared. 

This is also how you also turn into a long term farm team if your trades seem to always benefit the opposing team. I, and likely Adams, don't want yet another traded player to go have a career year and win the Cup for some other team while we wade in the kiddie pool regardless. You don't necessarily have to achieve total victory in a trade; barring it being a in-division trade. All you need mutual rising of ships or ideally a bit more on your side; but you can't just go around losing trades for the sake of a change.

• Disagree 1

55 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If Lindholm doesn't go back to being a solid defensive center like he had been prior to this season; its not a good trade for Vancouver barring a long playoff run seeing as they won't be able to sign him regardless. Trading all that for about 30 games of a player and then "losing in the 1st round" isn't what I would deem an effective trade at the end of the day. If he helps them win a Cup no cost is too great. Anything in-between is up for debate.

As for Kuzmenko, he was a bad fit with Tocchet's style and thus expendable. That being said, if he scores 50 next season and after a disappointing playoff exit, Vancouver outright loses Lindholm; I highly doubt Vancouver's fans will be like, " Well we got to play 6 games in the playoffs so I'm overjoyed....." 

This is also how you also turn into a long term farm team if your trades seem to always benefit the opposing team. I, and likely Adams, don't want yet another traded player to go have a career year and win the Cup for some other team while we wade in the kiddie pool regardless. You don't necessarily have to achieve total victory in a trade; barring it being a in-division trade. All you need mutual rising of ships or ideally a bit more on your side; but you can't just go around losing trades for the sake of a change.

Believe it or not, simple hockey trades still happen, and when both teams improve, they both win the trade.  Even if the other team improves more.

Think about it.  We improve some with a trade, other team improves more.

vs.  We don’t make the trade and therefore don’t improve.

How the hell is the 2nd one a more preferable option?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Believe it or not, simple hockey trades still happen, and when both teams improve, they both win the trade.  Even if the other team improves more.

Think about it.  We improve some with a trade, other team improves more.

vs.  We don’t make the trade and therefore don’t improve.

How the hell is the 2nd one a more preferable option?

Because you can't win doing the 1st all the time either. Not to mention Buffalo fans get to deal with more BS from opposing fans about how we gave away a star for some guy. I'm tired of that, I want to screw some other team for a change and not always be the one being screwed.

17 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Because you can't win doing the 1st all the time either. Not to mention Buffalo fans get to deal with more BS from opposing fans about how we gave away a star for some guy. I'm tired of that, I want to screw some other team for a change and not always be the one being screwed.

Marginal improvement > no improvement.

Not every trade needs to be that way, but SOME do.  Let’s start marginal instead of not starting at all.

And lol at your level of vanity over what you perceive other team’s fans think.  Maybe put a coat on if your skin is that thin?

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Marginal improvement > no improvement.

Not every trade needs to be that way, but SOME do.  Let’s start marginal instead of not starting at all.

And lol at your level of vanity over what you perceive other team’s fans think.  Maybe put a coat on if your skin is that thin?

I'm sick of Buffalo being the butt of all the jokes; its more akin to city pride than my own personal feelings. I'm tired of always having my city shamed over every little thing while the media will more or less ignore unless we suck whereas they can make fun of us again. 

If we trade Joker for a better fit, so be it. Marginal differences are as it says marginal. But I'm truly hesitant to give up on a Cozens or Power in order to get a lesser player who could theoretically be a better fit but achieve nowhere near the performance of Power or Cozens and get to hear about it until they retire. 

34 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm sick of Buffalo being the butt of all the jokes; its more akin to city pride than my own personal feelings. I'm tired of always having my city shamed over every little thing while the media will more or less ignore unless we suck whereas they can make fun of us again. 

If we trade Joker for a better fit, so be it. Marginal differences are as it says marginal. But I'm truly hesitant to give up on a Cozens or Power in order to get a lesser player who could theoretically be a better fit but achieve nowhere near the performance of Power or Cozens and get to hear about it until they retire. 

Not making moves because of fear will only lead to being laughed at longer.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It didn’t sound like Calgary was going to be able to re-sign Lindholm. They got a good haul for him, he’s past his prime.

Vancouver is in the playoffs already but Lindholm could be a piece that allows them to go deeper. Can’t fault them for getting the jump on the other teams for an impact player. Lindholm is past his prime now so he may not be worth a long term deal.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, French Collection said:

It didn’t sound like Calgary was going to be able to re-sign Lindholm. They got a good haul for him, he’s past his prime.

Vancouver is in the playoffs already but Lindholm could be a piece that allows them to go deeper. Can’t fault them for getting the jump on the other teams for an impact player. Lindholm is past his prime now so he may not be worth a long term deal.

We are in agreement. Vancouver is certainly in a position to take a risk while Calgary is divesting from a player they weren’t going to be able to resign. After all he supposedly turned down 7/8 x 8/9mil