Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #20 Jiri Kulich

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #15 Jiri Kulich   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Jiri Kulich this year?

• He won’t make the team out of camp, but will get called up at some point in the season
    • He’ll make the team out of camp, but won’t stick around for the duration
    • He’ll stick with the team and have a year similar to what Peterka did last year
    • He’ll play well enough to be in the Calder Trophy conversation

Very few 2022 draft picks pushed their way further up the prospect rankings over the past 12 months than Kulich. His 46 points in 64 games ranked as the best production by a U19 AHL player in 25 years and the 4th best of all time. Although most believe work still needs to be done on his defensive game, one of the most notable things about Kulich is his performance on his last 3 big stages. U18 Worlds: 9 goals and 11 point in 6 games (MVP). U20 Worlds: 7 goals and 9 points in 7 games (all-star). AHL playoffs: 7 goals, 11 points in 12 games. This is a kid who consistently shows up when it counts.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=245580

At least one spot is open on the big club due to the Jack Quinn injury. Kulich has made clear his intention is to claim it and a case may be made that his skill set and AHL success last year make him a prime candidate. That said, it should be noted that his production (.74 points/game) lagged significantly behind where both Quinn (1.36 points/game) and JJ Peterka (.96 points/game) were two years ago as AHL rookies.

What do you expect from Kulich this year?

(*With 27 and 25 taken, I arbitrarily gave Kulich 15, as the only available number that I know he’s worn previously.)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

I wanted to respond to this. Jiri Kulich is going to be good but he isn't going to be good in Buffalo this year. He has parts of his game away from the puck to round out and that is perfectly normal. His shot and shooting vision are top notch. He has a big heart and lots of determination, I think he sees some games in Buffalo this year and depending on the roster in April could even be a regular in the playoffs but he needs this year to round out his game. Next year when Olofsson is gone and Jost and Zemgus and Okposo, there will be ample room for a developed and skillful Kulich to come make his NHL mark. Kulich is 19, even Owen Power barely saw the NHL at 19. Give him time and reap the rewards when a mature and developed kid hits the NHL in 2024. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wanted to respond to this. Jiri Kulich is going to be good but he isn't going to be good in Buffalo this year. He has parts of his game away from the puck to round out and that is perfectly normal. His shot and shooting vision are top notch. He has a big heart and lots of determination, I think he sees some games in Buffalo this year and depending on the roster in April could even be a regular in the playoffs but he needs this year to round out his game. Next year when Olofsson is gone and Jost and Zemgus and Okposo, there will be ample room for a developed and skillful Kulich to come make his NHL mark. Kulich is 19, even Owen Power barely saw the NHL at 19. Give him time and reap the rewards when a mature and developed kid hits the NHL in 2024. 

This is where I am as well.

And most of Sabrespace, if the poll so far is any indication.

This one is quite interesting to me because the board had left me with the impression there were plenty of people thinking Kulich could be a contributor this year.

• dudacek changed the title to Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #20 Jiri Kulich
8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is going to play so well early this season in Rochester that he forces KA to bring him up and keep him up.  

All prospects think they can make the NHL. This kid seems driven, saying he expected to make the Sabres last year.

He may force their hand with a good camp.

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

According to this Kulich has added 16 pounds. I hope it is all muscle and a lot of it in his legs.

https://sabrenoise.com/2023/09/14/buffalo-sabres-2023-prospects-challenge/2/

Saw this. Great stuff from the coaches in this piece. 

Gotta love this kid. But that’s also exactly what I wanted to see from Power. He was 215 last year and needs to be around 230-240 at some point. Hopefully he has added 10 lbs of muscle to his frame. Would also like to see a similar strength and size addition from Cozens. 

• Like (+1) 1

I feel as though Jiri’s path this year is going to be heavily impacted by the Savoie / Benson fallout.  If either one of them (or both 👀) make the team out of TC then Kulich’s path to the NHL will be impeded.  I don’t envision that happening, ideally both players would end up in Rochester but we know CHL rules suck so that can’t happen. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Night Train said:

I would think he would start with the Amerks.  He's still a boy growing into a mans body with high level skiils. Very excited for his future. Looks like a steal in the later part of the first round. 

He's got an excellent shot but really needs to improve his handling and his decision making to truly be a strong driver of offense at the NHL level. He really needs another AHL year to work on all of this. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I feel as though Jiri’s path this year is going to be heavily impacted by the Savoie / Benson fallout.  If either one of them (or both 👀) make the team out of TC then Kulich’s path to the NHL will be impeded.  I don’t envision that happening, ideally both players would end up in Rochester but we know CHL rules suck so that can’t happen. 

I think the organization would promote Rosen to the Sabres before Kulich but that is just my opinion. 

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's got an excellent shot but really needs to improve his handling and his decision making to truly be a strong driver of offense at the NHL level. He really needs another AHL year to work on all of this. 

I think the organization would promote Rosen to the Sabres before Kulich but that is just my opinion. 

I don’t know if I know enough about Rosen yet to make this call but based on where he started last season (non-existent) but it would be a tremendous achievement (I know he’s a first rounder but man we’re there question marks). 

On 9/14/2023 at 8:54 AM, French Collection said:

According to this Kulich has added 16 pounds. I hope it is all muscle and a lot of it in his legs.

https://sabrenoise.com/2023/09/14/buffalo-sabres-2023-prospects-challenge/2/

I believe that 16 more pounds gets him up over 190 lbs.  I have seen him listed at 5’11” and at 6’.   He is a good sized winger and he looked pretty strong last year too.  At 19 he is developing physically and really putting in the work.   He might be one of those guys that breaks through quickly even though Buffalo has a logjam of prospects at forward. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.