Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #22 Jack Quinn

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #22 Jack Quinn  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Jack Quinn this year?

• His injury more or less makes this year a write-off, regardless of how soon he comes back
    • He’s going to come back early in the New Year, and be back in last year’s form in time for the stretch run.
    • He’s going to hit the ground running and still put up 30ish points in a half-season of play

After a stellar year in Rochester, Quinn more or less met the expectations of most observers last season, finishing 7th among NHL rookies in points and 8th in goals. His season was the 8th-best by a Sabres rookie this century, 11 points fewer than Thomas Vanek and 5 back of Sam Reinhart. He was also pretty responsible defensively over the year, despite a quiet -16 run over the final 2 months of the season.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=208510

One of the things that stood out about Quinn was his absolute fearlessness in trying to attempt plays. He had some spectacular misses and instances where he was clearly overpowered, but he kept pushing and seemed to create more time and space as the season progressed. All this was rendered somewhat moot in late June when he suffered an Achilles injury that Kevyn Adams said would keep him out for 4-6 months. Anthony Duclair suffered a similar injury in July of 2022 that kept him out until Feb. 24.

What do you expect from Quinn this year?
(Last year’s takes here)

38 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Regrettably I voted write-off due to the seriousness of this injury.  Best case IMHO is that by the end of the season he gets back to where he was at the end of last season.  But I'm not expecting that.

It’s possible that he comes back tentative in January, but eventually gets more confidence and we see a nice uptick in his game as he plays out the season. 

When he's ready to come back in January, he practices with the Sabres for a week or two, then goes to Rochester to play for 2 weeks to get re-acclimated to the speed of the game. 

He comes back to Buffalo in late Jan/ early Feb, starts out very slowly, but is almost back up to speed by the end of the year.

Plays 30 games, 7-10 goals, 15 assists.  Better play at the end of the year then when he first comes back.

Quinn's injury is the most disappointing part of the off-season to me: the way he constantly pushes and tries things bodes well for his future and I was expecting he'd make a big stride toward what he'll become this season.

I'm not sure if i put a ton of faith into Adams "4-6 months" recovery timeline, but the 4 month end would only have him missing about 20 games.

Like most of you,i think its best to consider whatever he gives a bonus. I would have liked the team to give an outside vet a shot to replace him.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.