Sabres Trade Ilya Lyubushkin to Anaheim for a 2025 4th Round Pick

Brawndo

Play aside, if I'm Boosh I probably ask out. In the last year of my contract, I don't want to be riding the bench hoping for someone above me to fail in some way. I'll play every game I'm able for the Ducks, who, if I play well, will likely trade to a contender where again, if I play well, I might get a fat contract based on playoff performance. Maybe that works on the Sabres, but it's steeper hill to climb and there's no guarantee I'll be put into situations in the season and playoffs that will showcase my abilities.

33 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Play aside, if I'm Boosh I probably ask out. In the last year of my contract, I don't want to be riding the bench hoping for someone above me to fail in some way. I'll play every game I'm able for the Ducks, who, if I play well, will likely trade to a contender where again, if I play well, I might get a fat contract based on playoff performance. Maybe that works on the Sabres, but it's steeper hill to climb and there's no guarantee I'll be put into situations in the season and playoffs that will showcase my abilities.

Lyubushkin will not garner a fat contract even if he plays well for whichever team he is on. He can be a solid lower pairing player. That is the echelon of player he is and that is the echelon of middling contract that he will garner. I'm not a Boosh basher. By all accounts he is a good team guy. However, he's a veteran play who has demonstrated the caliber of player he is. 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Lyubushkin will not garner a fat contract even if he plays well for whichever team he is on. He can be a solid lower pairing player. That is the echelon of player he is and that is the echelon of middling contract that he will garner. I'm not a Boosh basher. By all accounts he is a good team guy. However, he's a veteran play who has demonstrated the caliber of player he is. 

I think you overestimate what GMs will pay a guy who plays reasonably well and lays out a few hits in the playoffs. 🙂

6 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I think you overestimate what GMs will pay a guy who plays reasonably well and lays out a few hits in the playoffs. 🙂

Replaceable players don't get paid much. At best, he was going to be a fourth pairing player for us. Players in that echelon don't garner high-cost contracts. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He doesn't play reasonably well. 

For a season, I agree. Make a push for 2-3 months from the trade deadline to the end of the playoffs? I think he has it in him. All he has to do is hit people and stay healthy for fans (and a few GMs) to love him.

For what it's worth, I thought he was a decent bottom-pairing defenseman.  A serviceable veteran who brought a little physicality to a team that lacks it.  I would have preferred to see him remain on the roster, or, if traded, for a high 3rd or a 2nd of some kind.  That said, it's not a move that I'll lose sleep over.  I hope he does well with his new team and that the Sabres don't have so many injuries on defense that they'll regret this move.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

For a season, I agree. Make a push for 2-3 months from the trade deadline to the end of the playoffs? I think he has it in him. All he has to do is hit people and stay healthy for fans (and a few GMs) to love him.

These are good points.  Time will tell.

59 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

For what it's worth, I thought he was a decent bottom-pairing defenseman.  A serviceable veteran who brought a little physicality to a team that lacks it.  I would have preferred to see him remain on the roster, or, if traded, for a high 3rd or a 2nd of some kind.  That said, it's not a move that I'll lose sleep over.  I hope he does well with his new team and that the Sabres don't have so many injuries on defense that they'll regret this move.

Agreed.

I just don't think a fourth round pick (or is it fifth?  I think PA said fifth?) is worth anything.  It would have been better to package him and get more back.

16 hours ago, MattPie said:

I'll play every game I'm able for the Ducks, who, if I play well, will likely trade to a contender where again, if I play well, I might get a fat contract based on playoff performance.

It'd be funny if the Sabres were the contender who bought him back at the deadline.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, MattPie said:

So you're theory is that Boosh will be suddenly better for the exact 3 months a team needs him? 

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

These are good points.  Time will tell.

Agreed.

I just don't think a fourth round pick (or is it fifth?  I think PA said fifth?) is worth anything.  It would have been better to package him and get more back.

No one wanted him. It's why Bryson is here. You can't package 2 pieces of trash and expect a mazzeratti in return

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So you're theory is that Boosh will be suddenly better for the exact 3 months a team needs him?

My theory is that if I'm Boosh, that's the better gamble for my career. It's unlikely he'll see a good contract playing in and out of the Sabres line-up for this season. It's also unlikely that the Sabres trade him at the deadline if they're in playoff contention unless he's literally not played at all or has to move out to make room, and then it's not going to be a contender on the other end of that trade. If I'm him, I ask for a trade because that gives me a chance to play more this season, maybe get traded to a playoff team, and maybe play well enough to earn a good contract for 2024-2025 and beyond. Whether Boosh make all this happen is questionable, but he's looking out for his career by setting himself up with a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No one wanted him. It's why Bryson is here. You can't package 2 pieces of trash and expect a mazzeratti in return

I didn't say I would have packaged him with Bryson!  Package him with one of the ninety-seven forward prospects and get something in return.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I didn't say I would have packaged him with Bryson!  Package him with one of the ninety-seven forward prospects and get something in return.

I'm well aware you didn't say that. He's not worth anything in a trade, you don't seem to want to recognize that. That's why Bryson is still in Buffalo, he's not worth anything in a trade. 

Those two ideas concurrent don't mean I think you said Bryson and Boosh should be packaged together

10 minutes ago, MattPie said:

My theory is that if I'm Boosh, that's the better gamble for my career. It's unlikely he'll see a good contract playing in and out of the Sabres line-up for this season. It's also unlikely that the Sabres trade him at the deadline if they're in playoff contention unless he's literally not played at all or has to move out to make room, and then it's not going to be a contender on the other end of that trade. If I'm him, I ask for a trade because that gives me a chance to play more this season, maybe get traded to a playoff team, and maybe play well enough to earn a good contract for 2024-2025 and beyond. Whether Boosh make all this happen is questionable, but he's looking out for his career by setting himself up with a chance.

Idc what Boosh wants though. And I don't think he'll suddenly be good.

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm well aware you didn't say that. He's not worth anything in a trade, you don't seem to want to recognize that. That's why Bryson is still in Buffalo, he's not worth anything in a trade. 

Those two ideas concurrent don't mean I think you said Bryson and Boosh should be packaged together

I don't know how Bryson's name even came up.  Anyway.  The idea isn't to trade two pieces of garbage for a sports car.  The idea is to trade an average NHL player and a prospect, and possibly more, for whatever comes back.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't know how Bryson's name even came up.  Anyway.  The idea isn't to trade two pieces of garbage for a sports car.  The idea is to trade an average NHL player and a prospect, and possibly more, for whatever comes back.

Because Lyubushkin was traded because he had a hairs worth more value than Bryson. Both aren't worth anything is the point. 

You think adding a player that costs almost 3mil to another deal when that player just got traded for a 5th 2 years from now makes that deal and it doesn't. Boosh as part of a package doesn't move the needle. That's the point. 

Fine you need another analogy. You trading a left over pizza hut pizza for my lobster and me saying no, so you say what if I toss in this moldy carrot? Doesn't change the equation any. 

***** I hate this thread. He's a f-ing 7th defender, who the F cares?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Fine you need another analogy. You trading a left over pizza hut pizza for my lobster and me saying no, so you say what if I toss in this moldy carrot?

I'm talking about guys that you, personally, have predicted great things for, not moldy carrots.  Real forward prospects, which the Sabres have too many of.

I do personally still have this unusual belief we still want to acquire Pesce and Adams moving Bush is partially in order to free up a roster space, cap space, and be able to pounce eventually. If anything he's in a staring contest with Carolina. Something has to give in Carolina after all, they have 8 UFAs (5UFAs next year, 3 the following year) and a Beaulieu on a PTO. 

Their UFAs at this year's end

Teravainen, Martinook, Skjei, Pesce, Chatfield, Raanta (Jones and Deangelo)

RFAs: Jarvis, Necas and Drury

One would have to believe something has to give

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I do personally still have this unusual belief we still want to acquire Pesce and Adams moving Bush is partially in order to free up a roster space, cap space, and be able to pounce eventually. If anything he's in a staring contest with Carolina. Something has to give in Carolina after all, they have 8 UFAs (5UFAs next year, 3 the following year) and a Beaulieu on a PTO. 

Their UFAs at this year's end

Teravainen, Martinook, Skjei, Pesce, Chatfield, Raanta (Jones and Deangelo)

RFAs: Jarvis, Necas and Drury

One would have to believe something has to give

Regarding Pesce, I’d say the first thing that needs to give is his waiving his NTC to Buffalo. It’s all a moot point without that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Regarding Pesce, I’d say the first thing that needs to give is his waiving his NTC to Buffalo. It’s all a moot point without that.

Yep, but what a D group if KA was able to add Pesce to this team.  

Given the state of the Sabres roster, which rental would you rather have Pesce or Hellebuyck? 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yep, but what a D group if KA was able to add Pesce to this team.  

Given the state of the Sabres roster, which rental would you rather have Pesce or Hellebuyck? 

That's a tough one. Probably Hellebuyck because I really question Comrie and UPL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.