2023-2024 Sabres lineup

sabresparaavida

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

If you actually read the entire post you would see that it was SPECIFICALLY SPELLED OUT THAT ONLY 8 of the 10 (or 11) would be on the Sabres and the other 2 (or 3) were Ra-cha-cha bound.

The others are there for depth.

That's not carrying 10D, that's carrying 8D and waiving 2.  That also runs into PT issue in Rochester.  The Amerks have a deep roster of D without Bryson and Clague.  Johnson and Novikov are the rookies, KA signed Cecconi, Metsa, Jandric and Savoie as rookie UFAs and still has AHL vets Davies and Prow.  That's 8 D before anyone gets sent down.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's not carrying 10D, that's carrying 8D and waiving 2.  That also runs into PT issue in Rochester.  The Amerks have a deep roster of D without Bryson and Clague.  Johnson and Novikov are the rookies, KA signed Cecconi, Metsa, Jandric and Savoie as rookie UFAs and still has AHL vets Davies and Prow.  That's 8 D before anyone gets sent down.

So you were SERIOUSLY ASKING IF THE SABRES WOULD KEEP 9 OR 10 D on the SABRES ACTIVE 23 MAN roster?

Holy funk Batman.

And, would the Amerks be better off with career AHLers Prow and Davies or Clague and Bryson?  Hmm, that's almost as difficult a Q to answer as whether they'll keep 9 or 10 guys on the parent team's 23 man roster.

Enjoy Jacksonville Jeremy and Ethan.

Do you think if they keep Comrie and UPL that they'll carry Tokarski too on the 23 man roster?  Enquiring minds want to know.  😜

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

They bring in two guys whose games line up in the physical side of the ledger and you think that means they will bump the puck-moving #4 who got 20 minutes a game instead of the stay-at home #5 who got 15?

And not just from the starting lineup, you’ve got him all the way down to #8.

if the starting 5 is what you expect, Jokiharju is more useful in the lineup than a 4th stay-at-home guy, no?

Who’s carrying the puck on the 3rd pair? Or god forbid if Dahlin or Power gets hurt?

As I've said before, Joki received 20 minutes with Power because he was paired with Power, but not because he earned the job.  Johnson is adept at getting the puck out of the D zone.  What more do you want out of your third pairing guy?  What happens if Dahlin or Power gets hurt?  The answer is Clifton.  One of the reasons he was targeted was the development of the O side of his game last year and DG's probable belief that more is possible.  Clifton had 5g 18a last season. Those totals came without any PP time.  His 5 goals would have been 2nd on the Sabres and 23 points 3rd.  Joki's career high is 3g and 19 pts (including 4 pp assists).  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Thompson-Cozens-Peterka/Greenway

Skinner-Mitts-Tuch

Rousek-Jost-Greenway/Peterka

Girgs-Krebs-Okposo

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-Johnson

Clifton-Lybushkin

Levi

UPL

Why on earth would we move Thompson to wing? 

41 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I can’t envision a scenario where Thompson goes to wing. I wouldn’t be shocked at a scenario where Cozens goes to wing.

He played on the wing last season when recovering from an injury down the stretch.  There's 1 scenario where it happens.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He played on the wing last season when recovering from an injury down the stretch.  There's 1 scenario where it happens.

But, and I am just spitballing, would it not make more sense to leave Cozens and Thompson at center and instead put Mitts on a wing

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Mitts

That gives you 1 line where there is only 1 right shot (Cozens) but it also gives you a player in Mitts who can dig out pucks low and fling passes to JJP and Cozens. If you wanted you could also flip Mitts and Tuch at times to give different looks. Cozens being only 22 means that he is still getting better so really I see him able to play with any of the wingers I have listed. 

and really quick Perrault the thumbs down is for disliking the lineup, please don't take it as more than that. 

I'll add that if you put Mitts on a wing in the top 6, it gives us a chance to put Krebs as a center on the 3rd line. 

Rousek - Krebs - Greenway

Zemgus - Jost - Okposo

Olofsson is the extra depending on how he looks in camp (I feel like Olofsson might be good for the first 2 months and then fade as the season rolls on)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But, and I am just spitballing, would it not make more sense to leave Cozens and Thompson at center and instead put Mitts on a wing

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Mitts

That gives you 1 line where there is only 1 right shot (Cozens) but it also gives you a player in Mitts who can dig out pucks low and fling passes to JJP and Cozens. If you wanted you could also flip Mitts and Tuch at times to give different looks. Cozens being only 22 means that he is still getting better so really I see him able to play with any of the wingers I have listed. 

and really quick Perrault the thumbs down is for disliking the lineup, please don't take it as more than that. 

Personally expect that Mittelstadt is going to get moved to a wing to cover for Quinn's absence.  But whether he's a W or a C this season, haven't advocated ANY lineups where Thompson isn't playing C.  (Pretty sure haven't advocated moving Cozens to a W either barring additional injuries / in game adjustments due to score/ time remaining.)

Was VERY specific in what my post you are quoting was in reference to.  A very respected poster stated that he couldn't think of any scenario with Thompson at W; was merely reminding him that it happened last season; additionally Tommer actually played pretty well there.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Personally expect that Mittelstadt is going to get moved to a wing to cover for Quinn's absence.  But whether he's a W or a C this season, haven't advocated ANY lineups where Thompson isn't playing C.  (Pretty sure haven't advocated moving Cozens to a W either barring additional injuries / in game adjustments due to score/ time remaining.)

Was VERY specific in what my post you are quoting was in reference to.  A very respected poster stated that he couldn't think of any scenario with Thompson at W; was merely reminding him that it happened last season; additionally Tommer actually played pretty well there.

I... I read your post, I know that already. I was moving the conversation forward. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll add that if you put Mitts on a wing in the top 6, it gives us a chance to put Krebs as a center on the 3rd line. 

Rousek - Krebs - Greenway

Zemgus - Jost - Okposo

Olofsson is the extra depending on how he looks in camp (I feel like Olofsson might be good for the first 2 months and then fade as the season rolls on)

I still think they want someone better between Z and Kyle but, yeah, I like your scenario better.

However, it has come up a couple of times that they need Dylan to be better defensively and more aware of the situation. If he doesn’t improve, I could see a move to the wing.

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I... I read your post, I know that already. I was moving the conversation forward. 

Well, personally fail to see how your post does "move the conversation forward" because the reason Thompson got moved to W last season was he was ineffective at C while playing through the injury.  So, no, in the case where Thompson CAN'T effectively play center, it doesn't make sense to keep Thompson at C.  

Which is why my response to you was that my preference (under normal circumstances) would be to have Thompson at C.  And pointed out that the post you were referring to was not advocating for Thompson to be moved from C.  Were your post responding to my post to have been in response to @PerreaultForever's post expect THAT would've driven the conversation further than your actual post in response to him.

My 2 cents.  YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1

SO NHL.com has us keeping last year's Thompson and Krebs lines together and plugging Kulich into Quinn's spot on the kid line.

Which leaves Mitts at centre between Olofsson and Greenway.

Which, as much as I dislike the VO/Casey combo, is a pretty obvious grouping based on what we saw last year.

(And they are yet another group not pencilling Jokiharju into the top 6)

Edited by dudacek

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

SO NHL.com has us keeping last year's Thompson and Krens lines together and plugging Kulich into Quinn's spot on the kid line.

Which, as much as I dislike the VO/Casey combo, is pretty obvious grouping based on what we saw last year.

So they have Kulich getting the promotion rather than Rousek.  Interesting.  Still expect that one to play out the other way but would definitely not have any money on it.  Kulich is a driven mofo.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

SO NHL.com has us keeping last year's Thompson and Krebs lines together and plugging Kulich into Quinn's spot on the kid line.

Which, as much as I dislike the VO/Casey combo, is pretty obvious grouping based on what we saw last year.

Eww gross. Mitts and VO together was one of the worst forward pairings in the entire NHL last year. They got caved in, like dropping a bowling ball on a cake. If Buffalo rolls out the following: 

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Kulich

Greenway - Mitts - Olofsson

Zemgus - Krebs - Okposo

... then honestly I am not sure they deserve to be in the playoffs with that kind of management and coaching. That lineup puts weaknesses with weaknesses. Kulich being a rookie and needed to develop his 2way game with Cozens and JJP who need the same. Olofsson with no 2way game with Greenway who isn't a great passer. Poor Krebs just shutting down stuff again I suppose. At least he was effective in that role but those middle two lines really just make me sick when you have Rousek around and you can easily improve things by cutting Kulich, subbing Mitts there and replacing Mitts with Krebs on line 3 all while running Jost on the 4th line. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Eww gross. Mitts and VO together was one of the worst forward pairings in the entire NHL last year. They got caved in, like dropping a bowling ball on a cake. If Buffalo rolls out the following: 

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Kulich

Greenway - Mitts - Olofsson

Zemgus - Krebs - Okposo

... then honestly I am not sure they deserve to be in the playoffs with that kind of management and coaching. That lineup puts weaknesses with weaknesses. Kulich being a rookie and needed to develop his 2way game with Cozens and JJP who need the same. Olofsson with no 2way game with Greenway who isn't a great passer. Poor Krebs just shutting down stuff again I suppose. At least he was effective in that role but those middle two lines really just make me sick when you have Rousek around and you can easily improve things by cutting Kulich, subbing Mitts there and replacing Mitts with Krebs on line 3 all while running Jost on the 4th line. 

I mostly agree with this. However, i see why an outsider might lean this way

Lines 1 and 4 were effective lines last year, and line 2 appears to be just subbing one young stud for another.

And passer, shooter, physical player with the Mitts line kinda makes sense on the surface.

But I don't think Kulich can be Quinn and I doubt Greenway fixes the mess that was Victor/Casey.

Jack Quinn is just stunningly underrated around the league and even the fanbase (not saying you are). His two-way game is one of the best on the team and Jiri Kulich cannot say the same at his age. It would be pretty dicey expecting Kulich to match Quinn at 19 when Quinn was 21 and just more well rounded. Now Kulich at 21 v Quinn at 21... I could see Jiri getting up to the level in another couple years. 

On the Greenway thing, if he comes into camp healthy and in shape, I think he can help that line but there is just no way to fix the Olofsson slump that will come sometime. Once he stops scoring, he is just a weight for his linemates. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

What does it look like when Quinn returns? Back to the original top six?

Depends when Quinn comes back, if anyone else is injured obviously, and how game ready Quinn is. Depends how well Rousek plays. Maybe you start him on line 4 in Girgs spot to work him back into game shape. If he's good, strong, ready, he plays higher up the line up. I'm not guaranteeing him (or anyone) any spot. He has to earn it. 

As an additional comment I heard a Granato thing from a few days ago and he said we have 3 left shots so adding right shots was important so I'm wondering if maybe they do plan to switch Dahlin back to left and thus try:

Dahlin-Johnson

Power-Clifton

Samuelsson-Lybushkin

The last pairing being your PK pairing and more shutdown oriented. 

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why on earth would we move Thompson to wing? 

Not saying they would, but they might. This is after all silly summer speculative screed.   ssssssssssssssssssssssssssso, none of it matters. 

The Quinn-less idea I threw up there was looking at ways to create lines with players that complement each other's skills (an weaknesses). So roughly, playmaker, sniper, power forward/net front presence. 

It also makes a projection of even more improvement from Cozens and Mitts. Cozens, effectively becomes our #1 center and Skinner becomes a 2nd liner, not a first. 

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch is fine, but Mitts-Cozens doesn't make sense to me and if Mitts is 3rd line, Cozens line is too weak. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.