Sabres extend Qualifying Offers to Brett Murray and Linus Weissbach

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres extend Qualifying Offers to Brett Murray and Linus Weissbach
18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I expected this.

They wanted to re-sign him, but below his qualifier.

He may still sign.

Honestly, could see both him and Clague coming back.  Would figure whether Clague comes back will depend upon whether the Sabres net bringing in 1 more NHL D-man or 2.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I expected this.

They wanted to re-sign him, but below his qualifier.

He may still sign.

He's most likely gone, so.eone will scoop him up for a bit more than the Sabres are willing to. And good for him, I have no bones against that kid, I personally thought he did well here.

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

He's most likely gone, so.eone will scoop him up for a bit more than the Sabres are willing to. And good for him, I have no bones against that kid, I personally thought he did well here.

Thought the Sabres were the only team to put in a claim on him last year when he was on waivers.  There isn't going to be a whole lot of space between what the Sabres offer him and what somebody else might offer.

Until he signs with somebody else will expect him to be a Sabre in '23-'24.

• Like (+1) 1

Jost is an OK player, but he's got to be at the right value because he doesn't bring what teams need as a bottom-6 guy. He's a center but is a career sub 40% faceoff guy. When you make the other Sabres centers look like great faceoff artists, you're doing something wrong. But as a 13th forward, like a Hinostroza, he's a fair addition to a roster. Just gotta get paid at the Hino level.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Jost is an OK player, but he's got to be at the right value because he doesn't bring what teams need as a bottom-6 guy. He's a center but is a career sub 40% faceoff guy. When you make the other Sabres centers look like great faceoff artists, you're doing something wrong. But as a 13th forward, like a Hinostroza, he's a fair addition to a roster. Just gotta get paid at the Hino level.

Absolutely.  But, believe there's a small set of teams that he even makes sense as being the 13.  Unless you're looking for speed in your bottom 6, you're not looking to add him.  He is not going to bring the heavy game that a lot of 4th lines are expected to bring.

And because theres a limited set of suitors for Jost, Adams has a good chance of being right on his valuation of Jost.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Absolutely.  But, believe there's a small set of teams that he even makes sense as being the 13.  Unless you're looking for speed in your bottom 6, you're not looking to add him.  He is not going to bring the heavy game that a lot of 4th lines are expected to bring.

And because theres a limited set of suitors for Jost, Adams has a good chance of being right on his valuation of Jost.

It might take him a few years, and it might even take some time in the AHL, but if he can reinvent himself as a PK-capable guy, defensively responsible player... Like a Lazar did and countless 1st rounders before him, like Mitts is doing perhaps...  then he can still carve out a long career. He seems to have a good motor and offensive awareness, but needs to do those other things because he's not a top-6 player.

• Agree 1

I see that Morgan Geekie didn't get qualified by Seattle. He's 24 and I think has more upside than Jost. His even strength scoring numbers per 60 minutes were quite strong and I thought he was pretty good in the playoffs. Could be a 3rd line fill-in until Quinn is back and bumps Casey back to the 3rd line. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

He did at first but struggled a bit down the stretch before picking his game up again over the last few games.

With Jost gone (at least for now) we don’t even have a 12th F, never mind a 13. Assuming VO slides in for Quinn, Jost was #12, so I guess now that’s Rousek, and 13th man is Kulich? 

We need a couple depth adds here 

Edited by Thorny

46 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So the qualifying offers were given… When do we know if the qualifying offers are excepted?

Qualifying offers expire at 5PM on July 15 (unless the team decides to extend it beyond the deadline).

4 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Is it not automatic?  

They can negotiate better deals, but they are signed for next year with the 10% rise in pay, no?

It is not automatic.  The player has essentially 2 weeks to sign the QO and receive that as his compensation for the next season.  If he doesn't sign it, he remains an RFA with the team still having right to match any other offers the player might receive.  He will most likely still end up back with his original team but not necessarily at the salary provided for in the QO.

Also, a QO is only for a single year.  The player and team are still free to try to negotiate a multiyear deal.  But if he does sign the QO, he is done with negotiations with anybody (he can't even sign another contract with his own current team until January 1 ).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.