Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree but "stupid" might be too strong. there is an advantage to be able to take the quick shot or control the point faster with the puck coming up the wall. 

There is also an advantage to having your body against wall with your stick free towards the center of the ice. 

26 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sure.

In the hypothetical situation where the entire established structure of, not only the NHL, but it’s vast array of development systems and leagues surrounding kids from basically birth we’re re-built from the ground up and the game tailored to kids/players learning to play both sides, and players learned to play that way from day 1, sure, maybe handedness on D would be irrelevant. But there’s actually a real world/league at play here, unfortunately, complete with mainstay executives and coaches, complete with their established personal biases: and with all its structures and with all the grandfathered training therein, it *is*, objectively, an easier pathway to play on your proper hand. There are exceptions, they are exceptions that prove the rule. The stats don’t lie: teams make focused attempts to roster their D on their “proper” hand. The data is overwhelming.

- - - 

The sabres are right to strive for flexibility in their defenders being able to play both sides. It’s an advantage. At the end of the day, even while nearly leading the league in this category, even as an statistical outlier they *heavily* leaned towards “proper” handedness usage on D. Only Dahlin and Bryson really did it, only Dahlin with proficiency 

The Sabres believe in handedness flexibility to the extent they actively prepare/allow for it and engage in the practice more than other teams: what they don’t do is believe in handedness flexibility to the tune of it being irrelevant, to the tune of there literally being no preference given the choice. All else being equal it’s still factor, it’s just not definitive. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

In the hypothetical situation where the entire established structure of, not only the NHL, but it’s vast array of development systems and leagues surrounding kids from basically birth we’re re-built from the ground up and the game tailored to kids/players learning to play both sides, and players learned to play that way from day 1, sure, maybe handedness on D would be irrelevant. But there’s actually a real world/league at play here, unfortunately, complete with mainstay executives and coaches, complete with their established personal biases: and with all its structures and with all the grandfathered training therein, it *is*, objectively, an easier pathway to play on your proper hand. There are exceptions, they are exceptions that prove the rule. The stats don’t lie: teams make focused attempts to roster their D on their “proper” hand. The data is overwhelming.

- - - 

The sabres are right to strive for flexibility in their defenders being able to play both sides. It’s an advantage. At the end of the day, even while nearly leading the league in this category, even as an statistical outlier they *heavily* leaned towards “proper” handedness usage on D. Only Dahlin and Bryson really did it, only Dahlin with proficiency 

The Sabres believe in handedness flexibility to the extent they actively prepare/allow for it and engage in the practice more than other teams: what they don’t do is believe in handedness flexibility to the tune of it being irrelevant, the the tune of there literally being no preference given the choice. All else being equal it’s still factor, it’s just not definitive. 

I get it. This is how it’s done, so this is how it’s done, and the stats show that this is how is done, so teams try to make sure that this is how it’s done. I’m just not sure it matters, other than this is how it’s done.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

There is also an advantage to having your body against wall with your stick free towards the center of the ice. 

Depends on how you check, but that is perhaps why Dahlin favors that semi hip check of his that pisses off some opponents. 

You'll see Clifton is more forward and direct to the mid section. He likes to make himself compact and come right at the chest with shoulder or gloves. I suppose he adapted that because of his size. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hate to raise this issue, but we have talked about getting people who have ties to DG and KA.

Well Patrick Kane roomed with KA as a rookie and DG was his coach.  Sorry in advance.

Gross Honestly they have to understand we don't need This Past due Kane maybe 3 years ago. 

I would rather see the rookies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t want Kane either, but saw these notes about Kane and thought I’d rile up the pro-Kane crowd. 😉

IF he rehabs and is more than ready at the halfway point of the year, then it's silly to pretend he couldn't help the team he grew up watching with his family. I'm not endorsing it but pretending it would surprise some is pure theater. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvkHE0IONrleGu1UO7O3c

57 minutes ago, Night Train said:

IF he rehabs and is more than ready at the halfway point of the year, then it's silly to pretend he couldn't help the team he grew up watching with his family. I'm not endorsing it but pretending it would surprise some is pure theater. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvkHE0IONrleGu1UO7O3c

I truly hope Buffalo doesn't go this route. Buffalo can easily win a cup without him .

The narrative will always be if we win a cup kane got the cup for Buffalo All the media outlets will spin the ***** to no end

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Agree 1

Really hoping we get Dahlin on a deal soon.

Cale Maker is averaging $9 million on a long term deal he signed last year with $6.7 million in his final year. He’s the best young defenseman in the NHL and has already won the Cup. Surely we can get Dahlin for 7-8 at $10 million avg. or in that range? 

Power is likely to wait til next year. I didn’t pay attention to his first deal with us but surprised he’s going to be a RFA after two years. He could get a massive deal if he plays great. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I truly hope Buffalo doesn't go this route. Buffalo can easily win a cup without him .

The narrative will always be if we win a cup kane got the cup for Buffalo All the media outlets will spin the ***** to no end

If Kane ends up in Buffalo, it would be in a support role and nobody will be spinning it any differently. 
On the other hand, you are nothing if not consistent.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Really hoping we get Dahlin on a deal soon.

Cale Maker is averaging $9 million on a long term deal he signed last year with $6.7 million in his final year. He’s the best young defenseman in the NHL and has already won the Cup. Surely we can get Dahlin for 7-8 at $10 million avg. or in that range? 

Power is likely to wait til next year. I didn’t pay attention to his first deal with us but surprised he’s going to be a RFA after two years. He could get a massive deal if he plays great. 

All the insiders are saying he's already signed @tom webster

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

So still a couple of interesting vet UFA forwards I believe could be interesting on 1 year deals.  (I'm all for having Kulich, Rousek, and Savoi spend a year in minors or Jrs to grow Ito their bodies.)

$3-4 million range

Thomas Tatar- really helped young guns in Jersey the last couple of years

$1-1.5 million range

Nick Ritchie- would be another formidable winger with Mitts, and type of player Sabres lack

Tyler Motte- Tenacious forechecker and good on Pk

Tomas Nosek- Tenacious forechecker and good on Pk

Derek Grant- good on face-offs and Pk

Maxime Comtois- fresh start, could he return to form of 15-20 goals, not afraid to stick up for teammates

A defenseman that I don't why is not signed or not qualified is Simon Benoit?  Anyone have any info on why this guy is still available?    At 24yrs old played almost 20 minutes a game, led the team in Pk minutes, led team in hits, and then they don't qualify him?  I'd rather have him over Joker, Bush, Stillman, and Bryson!!

39 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

A defenseman that I don't why is not signed or not qualified is Simon Benoit?  Anyone have any info on why this guy is still available?    At 24yrs old played almost 20 minutes a game, led the team in Pk minutes, led team in hits, and then they don't qualify him?  I'd rather have him over Joker, Bush, Stillman, and Bryson!!

According to this, he stunk.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ducks-2022-23-player-grades-simon-benoit/

His basic shot share numbers look decent though and maybe as a 3rd pair guy on a team that’s not a train wreck he could do well.  Nice story as an undrafted guy.

On 7/11/2023 at 7:05 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t want Kane either, but saw these notes about Kane and thought I’d rile up the pro-Kane crowd. 😉

I'm not in the pro-Kane crowd. However, you still rile me up and get me energized when you make some of your goalie proposals. It should be acknowledged that you do have a natural talent for agitating. It shouldn't be surprising because lawyers are predisposed in possessing that provoking talent. 😄

On 7/6/2023 at 11:53 AM, SwampD said:

I get it. This is how it’s done, so this is how it’s done, and the stats show that this is how is done, so teams try to make sure that this is how it’s done. I’m just not sure it matters, other than this is how it’s done.

giphy.gif

Edited by ddaryl

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not in the pro-Kane crowd. However, you still rile me up and get me energized when you make some of your goalie proposals. It should be acknowledged that you do have a natural talent for agitating. It shouldn't be surprising because lawyers are predisposed in possessing that provoking talent. 😄

Me?  Never.  Although admittedly, I do take the other side of some discussions because some notions shouldn't go unchallenged.

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Me?  Never.  Although admittedly, I do take the other side of some discussions because some notions shouldn't go unchallenged.

That's what lawyers are trained to do. The prosecutor one day becomes the defending attorney on another day. The chair and table you sit on in court one day can end up with you sitting at the other chair and table the next day. It's the nature of the beast. 🍺

Espn’s rating on the Sabres off-season to date.  https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/insider/story/_/id/37989724/nhl-team-grades-free-agency-draft-trades-report-cards

Buffalo Sabres

Key players added: D Connor Clifton, D Erik Johnson
Key players lost: G Craig Anderson
Remaining cap space: $6,713,930

Coach status: Don Granato pushes the right buttons in Buffalo. Since joining the Sabres in 2019, he's helped a young team grow and evolve more than maybe anyone would have expected over that stretch. Granato had Buffalo in the playoff hunt late last season, and even if the Sabres didn't push their way into the mix, it was an invaluable experience for the club's core to go through and learn from. For a franchise that's been searching for stability, Granato has provided it on the coaching front.

Overall grade: B. The Sabres needed to bolster their blueline and GM Kevyn Adams took care of that adding Connor Clifton and Erik Johnson in free agency. And Adams shouldn't stop there when it comes to retooling Buffalo's roster. The Sabres could use an infusion of forward depth as well and there is cap room available to make that happen -- although most of the best options are off the market by now. That doesn't mean Adams won't still be busy in the coming weeks.

Can Buffalo be comfortable goaltending-wise, with Eric Comrie and Devon Levipotentially working in tandem? And will Victor Olofsson end up being a potential trade chip? The Sabres have had a sound offseason. A few more moves could take them over the top.

Why do these writers keep saying we need additional forward depth?  Fairburn of the Athletic wrote the same thing.  How much more depth are we supposed to have? 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Espn’s rating on the Sabres off-season to date.  https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/insider/story/_/id/37989724/nhl-team-grades-free-agency-draft-trades-report-cards

Why do these writers keep saying we need additional forward depth?  Fairburn of the Athletic wrote the same thing.  How much more depth are we supposed to have? 

How good are Peterka, Krebs, Greenway and Olafsson as middle-six forwards?

The projected 13-14-15 guys (Rousek Kulich Savoie) have combined for 2 NHL games.

How are they going to replace Quinn?

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Agree that the depth they're looking for isn't really what the Sabres need.  But pretty sure they're looking at Okposo, Jost, and Olofsson at the fringes of the roster with only AHLers (and CHLers) behind them and are stating they have no faith in all those 3 being adequate this year and no faith in any of the Ra-cha-cha guys being ready to step up.

And, after most all the rosters have shaken out and fringe NHLers start looking at less than ideal options (moving to Europe, signing 2 way deals that will likely have them starting in the press box at best and AHL in a greater likelihood) do expect Adams to sign one or 2 Hinostrozas for Ra-cha-cha as injury insurance and also insurance that they'll have somebody to step in in a limited role should Rousek, Kulich, & etc. not quite be ready for prime time.

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

How good are Peterka, Krebs, Greenway and Olafsson as middle-six forwards?

The projected 13-14-15 guys (Rousek Kulich Savoie) have combined for 2 NHL games.

How are they going to replace Quinn?

Mittelstadt.  He'll move into the top 6 and has earned that opportunity.  

As to the rest, there is every reason to believe they'll improve on last year's numbers.  JJP will be another year older and another off-season stronger.  The difference between the player who started the year in Buffalo and the player who excelled at Worlds is miles apparent.  The World's JJP showed how much confidence he's gained and he should blossom this season.  I think a 50 pt season is well within his reach.  VO scored 28 goals last season. That's top 6 production for most of the NHL.  Krebs should produce more in the expanded role of 3rd line center vs 4th line-checking center he played last year.  Greenway is perfectly capable of potting 15g this season.  Honestly, I'm not worried about production from players 1-9 at forward and we know what we are going to get from the 4th energy line.  

Last season the Sabres had 4 30+ goal scorers, VO at 28 and another 5 forwards with 10-15 goals.  In addition, Krebs potted 9 in a 4th line role.  

As to depth beyond the top 12, Murray has 21 games and was re-signed.  Management also likes Biro and Rousek has earned his opportunity.  

If management is unhappy with the depth in camp, decent depth players like Pius Suter, Adam Erne, Nick Ritchie, and Max Comtois are still un-signed.

If we have learned anything about KA's development strategy is that he isn't going to actively place roadblocks in front of his young players.  If management feels someone is ready, they'll get an opportunity. To me, his status quo approach to the forward group indicates that he feels Rousek, Biro, and possibly others are ready to fill in if injuries strike.  Justin Richards (3 NHL games) was also signed this off-season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mittelstadt.  He'll move into the top 6 and has earned that opportunity.  

As to the rest, there is every reason to believe they'll improve on last year's numbers.  JJP will be another year older and another off-season stronger.  The difference between the player who started the year in Buffalo and the player who excelled at Worlds is miles apparent.  The World's JJP showed how much confidence he's gained and he should blossom this season.  I think a 50 pt season is well within his reach.  VO scored 28 goals last season. That's top 6 production for most of the NHL.  Krebs should produce more in the expanded role of 3rd line center vs 4th line-checking center he played last year.  Greenway is perfectly capable of potting 15g this season.  Honestly, I'm not worried about production from players 1-9 at forward and we know what we are going to get from the 4th energy line.  

Last season the Sabres had 4 30+ goal scorers, VO at 28 and another 5 forwards with 10-15 goals.  In addition, Krebs potted 9 in a 4th line role.  

As to depth beyond the top 12, Murray has 21 games and was re-signed.  Management also likes Biro and Rousek has earned his opportunity.  

If management is unhappy with the depth in camp, decent depth players like Pius Suter, Adam Erne, Nick Ritchie, and Max Comtois are still un-signed.

Casey Mittelstadt was already ahead of Quinn on the depth chart last year by nearly 2 full minutes a game.

In terms of ice time, Quinn (#9) was supposed to be pushing Okposo (#6) and Olofsson (#7) further to the periphery, so maybe that doesn’t happen now, or maybe more falls on the shoulders of Greenway (#8) and Peterka (#10).

As it is, we’re going to rely on Olofsson to be a regular in a role he wasn’t good enough in last year and an untested rookie to be the fallback rather than a veteran like Hinostroza.

That’s 2 “hope” pieces up front.

And that’s to go along with the “hope” that Krebs, Peterka and Greenway are better than last year.

And the “hope” Mitts, Cozens and the big line all will repeat what they did last year.

And the “hope” we stay healthy.

I like our forwards and I think most fit in the “for real” or “should get better” categories.

But so much went right last year and that’s not something we should be counting on to happen again.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.