Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

9 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

So other than the fact our young guys get a year older and a couple of meh signings, have we gotten any better?  Have we bridged the gap between us Boston, Florida, Tampa & Toronto?  Detroit has improved their roster and haven’t heard much from Montreal and Ottawa.

Clifton makes us immediately better.

Looking at some of the contracts handed out, I'm okay with KA not getting too aggressive. We still have more prospect capital than almost anyone. Plenty of ammo to upgrade through trades.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

So other than the fact our young guys get a year older and a couple of meh signings, have we gotten any better?  Have we bridged the gap between us Boston, Florida, Tampa & Toronto?  Detroit has improved their roster and haven’t heard much from Montreal and Ottawa.

Everyone said last year how Detroit had "improved their roster" and yet we were better. 

Don't underestimate the growth power, jjp, Krebs, and Levi will show. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The way things have shook out with the goalies and that the Sabres have 25/23 players signed with 5.8M in cap space, this might be a perfect time to call Winnipeg about Connor Hellbuyck. Olofsson, prospect and a 1st (Top 10 protected) as a centerpiece of the deal, even if it was a 1 year rental, would clearly put Buffalo in the playoff picture and really allow Levi to ease into becoming a full time NHL goalie.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Like (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

Until we get a legit goalie who can play with Levi this is going to be a glaring need. UPL/Comrie just aren't good enough imo.

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Everyone said last year how Detroit had "improved their roster" and yet we were better. 

I think Yzerman is a good GM but is it just me or does this guy almost walk on water with the hockey media? Every move is great, perfect, great deals, great signings. No matter what he does. So far I give Yzerman a B- in DET. Maybe in 2-3 years the wave of their young players arrive but im not in love with some of their UFA signings.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yep. After FA last year, everyone was tripping all over themselves to polish Stevie's wand and it went bust.

I think he does draft well. I don't think he necessarily does a very good job of roster building.

I like the defensemen. A solid #4 in Clifton who gives our prospect D men time to develop. And a 5-6 in Johnson  Johnson has a ton of experience he will bring  went through entire rebuild and won a Cup with Avalanche so that’s a plus. Clifton also comes from a winning franchise and is young still but a vet for us. 

Clifton had a 4.2 defensive point shares  Johnson a 2.8. 

Orlov $7.75 M per yr for 2 yrs. Pricey. Plus he probably thought Hurricanes closer to a Cup. 

Good piece here. 

Still need a goalie. Disappointed we didn’t land Andersen. He came in at a reasonable price, imo. May not have wanted to come here unless we went a lot higher. But some think he is not as good as he appears on paper of late.

Hope we don’t give up a prized prospect to get one. Love the idea of Olafsson and a future draft pick. We have such a strong set of prospects we can afford to do that. 

Also still feel like we need another forward. Ideally one who can also win some face offs. But need a vet to replace Quinn. Imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.