A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

41 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hope not.   

I want Graves or Pesce.  Either would be a good fit for us.  Would like KA to surprise me and not shop in the bargain bin.  

Forgive me if you've already posted this, but what is the most you'd give up for Pesce?  Specifically, assuming he signs an extension as part of the deal, would you give up any of:  #13, Rosen, Östlund, Savoie, Kulich, JJP, Quinn or Krebs?  I would not, but I know others here differ.

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Why are people saying “I think they will get OEL” you have no proof of this other then it just fits into a defeatist attitude.

Because ppl have heard of OEL and vaguely remember that at one point he was a decent defender so they have used that to be like "oh Buffalo will go get OEL" when in reality it makes almost no sense for Adams to target OEL.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Why are people saying “I think they will get OEL” you have no proof of this other then it just fits into a defeatist attitude.

It's pretty clearly their impression of the type of path they expect this management to take, sprinkled with their expectations for the level of player interest in Buffalo.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because ppl have heard of OEL and vaguely remember that at one point he was a decent defender so they have used that to be like "oh Buffalo will go get OEL" when in reality it makes almost no sense for Adams to target OEL.

I read some where that the Sabres analytics staff has been paying particular attention to zone entries.

OEL was literally the 3rd worst player in the NHL at preventing zone entries.

The next week will be a good litmus for a lot of Sabres watchers still skeptical of the trend under the current regime.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's pretty clearly their impression of the type of path they expect this management to take, sprinkled with their expectations for the level of player interest in Buffalo.

It's the first of these in my case.  I do think player interest in Buffalo is high; however, I also think that Adams won't make a big trade.  

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Whether it makes sense for him to do so and whether he does it are two very different things.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Forgive me if you've already posted this, but what is the most you'd give up for Pesce?  Specifically, assuming he signs an extension as part of the deal, would you give up any of:  #13, Rosen, Östlund, Savoie, Kulich, JJP, Quinn or Krebs?  I would not, but I know others here differ.

Quinn is not on my trading board.   So far he is the one most likely to be a core player down the road (IMO). 

I would give up Rosen within of that group of prospects because I think we have other prospects very similar to him.   I would offer them Rosen and the Philly #2 or next years #1.   I would even add in a 3rd piece if needed (another pick or a B level prospect)  

If they insisted on 13OA I would not agree to it right away.  I would put it on hold until the draft and see what the board looked like before doing that so that my staff could weigh in on the reality of what is there.   

Before all of this I would have to talk to Pesce (or Graves) about his desire to be a Sabre, and obviously what the next contract would be.  We would have to both be comfortable.  

If we hold on to every prospect we will end up selling them off in a fire sale.  I do think we need to convert some of this prospect potential into players we need right now.  It is time to get good support for the current real core.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Pimlach said:

Quinn is not on my trading board.   So far he is the one most likely to be a core player down the road (IMO). 

I would give up Rosen within of that group of prospects because I think we have other prospects very similar to him.   I would offer them Rosen and the Philly #2 or next years #1.   I would even add in a 3rd piece if needed (another pick or a B level prospect)  

If they insisted on 13OA I would not agree to it right away.  I would put it on hold until the draft and see what the board looked like before doing that so that my staff could weigh in on the reality of what is there.   

Before all of this I would have to talk to Pesce (or Graves) about his desire to be a Sabre, and obviously what the next contract would be.  We would have to both be comfortable.  

If we hold on to every prospect that we will end up selling them off in a fire sale.  I do think we need to convert some of this prospect potential into players we need right now.  It is time to get good support for the current real core.  

We differ only in that I would give up 13OA without waiting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

We differ only in that I would give up 13OA without waiting.

If we gave up the 13OA I would not complain.  I would think Adams and his staff have the roadmap of what prospects project to the big club and when, I would not be surprised if some of the sleeper prospect are higher on their list either (Rousek, Kozak, etc).   

Kevyn Adams is smart guy.  Lets see if he can pull off a big hockey trade that really moves the needle for this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's the first of these in my case.  I do think player interest in Buffalo is high; however, I also think that Adams won't make a big trade.  

Whether it makes sense for him to do so and whether he does it are two very different things.

What move has Adams made that doesn't make sense? Adams wants a physical RHD for Power, how does a 31yr old non physical LHD with injury history make sense?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Settle down. I’ve heard of every player in the NHL. It was a random thought that I wrote down. It wasn’t a commentary about how I feel about the state of the Sabres.

And hasn’t KA already mentioned that he’s not concerned with handedness.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Settle down. I’ve heard of every player in the NHL. It was a random thought that I wrote down. It wasn’t a commentary about how I feel about the state of the Sabres.

And hasn’t KA already mentioned that he’s not concerned with handedness.

Not everything is about you. 

38 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If we hold on to every prospect we will end up selling them off in a fire sale.  I do think we need to convert some of this prospect potential into players we need right now.  It is time to get good support for the current real core.  

I agree with everything else you said, but why do you think this? Fire sales don’t happen with pipeline players, but rather happen with roster players, usually under duress of the salary cap. Obviously, if we have no spots for a player, I don’t see why would would move them for peanuts. If we develop them properly, this increases their value and potentially could flip them for some really good players. 

9 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I agree with everything else you said, but why do you think this? Fire sales don’t happen with pipeline players, but rather happen with roster players, usually under duress of the salary cap. Obviously, if we have no spots for a player, I don’t see why would would move them for peanuts. If we develop them properly, this increases their value and potentially could flip them for some really good players. 

Fire sale might be a bad choice of words. 

We could get to a point where we have no good places for some of them to play.  We would not intend to move them for peanuts but the rest of the league might be  shrewd in what they offer to us.   I am trying to say that we could lose leverage on a deal.   It is a good problem I guess, especially when we had  barren shelves left by my buddy Murray.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Fire sale might be a bad choice of words. 

We could get to a point where we have no good places for some of them to play.  We would not intend to move them for peanuts but the rest of the league might be  shrewd in what they offer to us.   I am trying to say that we could lose leverage on a deal.   It is a good problem I guess, especially when we had  barren shelves left by my buddy Murray.  

The league could collectively get shrewd.  But, just using Kulich as an example, in no way trying to imply he'd be THE player they find in this boat, sure other teams only want to offer a 4th rounder for him because they know the Sabres have to move SOMEBODY; well, if he's actually worth a 1st or a reasonable D prospect might the team that finished higher in the standings be willing to offer their 3rd for him to top the lesser team's offer of a 4th?  If so, then might that team that 1st offered the 4th now be willing to offer THEIR 3rd?  And so on and so forth until you end up getting at least a 2nd for him and possibly that reasonable D prospect or even the 1st?

Trades don't happen in a vacuum and prospects don't get to dictate where they end up short of saying they're heading back to their homeland.  Really expect fears of the Sabres getting caught with a glut and losing tremendous value because of it are likely overblown in most all cases with these kids.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why anyone wants OEL I'll never understand. 

Is he big? No, but average

Is he a gritty player? No

Is he a rhd? No

Does he play a shutdown game? No

Is he young with runway to improve? No

What's the appeal? "I've heard of him before." 

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not everything is about you. 

Only when it is. 

Just now, SwampD said:

Only when it is. 

Well as you are the 14th person to bring it up sure. It is all about you. You are the only poster here, everything revolves around you. You got me. Definitely not because there is an entire thread dedicated to the absolutely STUPID idea that would be OEL on the Buffalo Sabres. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Well as you are the 14th person to bring it up sure. It is all about you. You are the only poster here, everything revolves around you. You got me. Definitely not because there is an entire thread dedicated to the absolutely STUPID idea that would be OEL on the Buffalo Sabres. 

Keep it up and you're going to jinx us.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Eleven said:

Keep it up and you're going to jinx us.

OEL should take Dahlin's spot. I mean they are the same right? RIGHT? OEL OEL OEL OEL OEL OEL!!! Best UFA we could target, fits all our needs. I am making shirts and starting facebook groups! I just paid a Russian troll farm to stop tweeting about Hunter Biden and start tweeting about OEL to Buffalo. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47e1zbocdhlhloizcko4

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That was a direct response to my post. Silly me for thinking you were responding directly to my post.

I don’t even want OEL, but now I’m thinking  I kinda do.😂

Edited by SwampD
  • Haha (+1) 1

😄I spend way too much time around here and I don’t know that I’ve seen a single poster advocating that we acquire OEL.

Ive seen one asking if we should look into it, and a couple others fatalistically posting that we’ll probably end up with him.

Guess I need to pay more attention to what’s going on.

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can't wait to live in the world where we have so many players that are top 9 guys other teams are lowballing us to take them because they have to play on our 3rd line or in Rochester. Sign me the ***** up. 

Agreed. As many have pointed out before, there’s always room for a great player of your team. Teams don’t let great players walk. Worse case scenario, you move an equally-skilled, but higher-priced vet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.