A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

Detroit and Boston are #2 and #4 with 36 and 32, respectively.

St. Paul is #3 at 34 and Minneapolis leads with 39.

Buffalo is actually #6 with 22 (I was reading from a wrong column earlier), Chicago #5 with 24.

St. Louis is behind both  with 16.

Thunder Bay Ont, population 108,000 stands out on the overall list with 96, good for #8.

Toronto, predictably leads with 429, well ahead of #2 Montreal at 267

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

Well, while we're waiting...

Two Americans have scored 5 goals in a single NHL game.  Name 'em.

You never answered the second American.  Miracle on ice related?  Also, besides the Sabres, how many franchises have multiple players with 5 goal games?

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Lalor is the correct answer according to my source:

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/city/nhl-players-career-stats.php?city_id=3731

Another interesting one is Buffalo is the 7th-ranked American city in terms of producing NHL players.

Can anyone name the top 6?

HockeyDB says he was born in Fort Erie, but am seeing other sites like yours saying he was born in Buffalo.  Never once heard anyone from Buffalo claim him as their own, so presumed he actually was Fort Erie.

It seems (and will not bother to confirm it one way or another) that he was born in a Buffalo hospital to parents that lived on the other side of the Niagara River in Fort Erie.

So, you were right.  Sorry for doubting you.  🍻  (Though still don't think of him as a Buffalonian. 😉)

(PS, would definitely include Stempniak as being from Buffalo.  West Seneca is the town directly adjacently east of South Buffalo.  It's actually the town inbetween Orchard Park (where the Buffalo Bills play) and Buffalo.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

HockeyDB says he was born in Fort Erie, but am seeing other sites like yours saying he was born in Buffalo.  Never once heard anyone from Buffalo claim him as their own, so presumed he actually was Fort Erie.

It seems (and will not bother to confirm it one way or another) that he was born in a Buffalo hospital to parents that lived on the other side of the Niagara River in Fort Erie.

So, you were right.  Sorry for doubting you.  🍻  (Though still don't think of him as a Buffalonian. 😉)

(PS, would definitely include Stempniak as being from Buffalo.  West Seneca is the town directly adjacently east of South Buffalo.  It's actually the town inbetween Orchard Park (where the Buffalo Bills play) and Buffalo.)

Also there are no hospitals in WS so unless he was delivered of his mother old-style (certainly a possibility), he was born somewhere else.  Same goes for Iafallo and Eden.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Detroit and Boston are #2 and #4 with 36 and 32, respectively.

St. Paul is #3 at 34 and Minneapolis leads with 39.

Buffalo is actually #6 with 22 (I was reading from a wrong column earlier), Chicago #5 with 24.

St. Louis is behind both  with 16.

Thunder Bay Ont, population 108,000 stands out on the overall list with 96, good for #8.

Toronto, predictably leads with 429, well ahead of #2 Montreal at 267

Kirkland Lake, Ontario, poupalion around 10,000 has produced 25-30 NHLers. The majority of them were in the 50’s and 60’s, the heyday of the gold mines. Darren Puppa is the last guy I recall from there.

Kind of like Ovik in Sweden, where MoDo is based. They produced a crazy amount of players in the last 25 years.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is from the Athletic, but it’s a really good question.

Who is the best NHL player to play only one game for the Sabres?  This is not a guy who only played one NHL game in his career, but someone who had a reasonable to lengthy NHL career and for some reason only suited up for the Sabres for a single game.  I looked up some candidates and there are some good ones.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is the best NHL player to play only one game for the Sabres?  This is not a guy who only played one NHL game in his career, but someone who can a reasonable to lengthy NHL career and for some reason only suited up for the Sabres for a single game.  I looked up some candidates and there are some good ones.

Reed Larson?  Did he even get a game?

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is the best NHL player to play only one game for the Sabres?  This is not a guy who only played one NHL game in his career, but someone who can a reasonable to lengthy NHL career and for some reason only suited up for the Sabres for a single game.  I looked up some candidates and there are some good ones.

Good candidates?  After Larson I see only one lengthy NHL career.

And on a side note, why on earth do I actually remember the name Dean Sylvester?

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think this is the best answer and yes he played one game.  Joel Armia is also a good answer.

I thought Armia got more than one game.  I guess I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Who replaced Gilbert Perreault as captain of the Sabres during the 86-87 season?

what goaltender did the Sabres select with the fifth overall pick in the 83 NHL draft?

name the two goaltenders who played for the Sabres in the 89-90 season?

The second one is Tom Barrasso.

I believe the third one is Darren Puppa and Clint Malarchuk.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Who replaced Gilbert Perreault as captain of the Sabres during the 86-87 season?

what goaltender did the Sabres select with the fifth overall pick in the 83 NHL draft?

name the two goaltenders who played for the Sabres in the 89-90 season?

Lindy Ruff

Who served as Captain of the Sabres for the least number of games?

Not counting the rotating captains of a couple of seasons in the 2000s and 2010s?

Who served as Captain of the Sabres for the least number of games?

Who was the oldest player to serve as Captain of the Sabres?

Who was the youngest player to serve as Captain of the Sabres?

With the caveat above, I am guessing Mogilny.  Okposo (maybe Smith?) and Schoenfeld are probably the other two.

Edited by Eleven

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Not counting the rotating captains of a couple of seasons in the 2000s and 2010s?

With the caveat above, I am guessing Mogilny.  Okposo (maybe Smith?) and Schoenfeld are probably the other two.

Oldest would likely be Gionta.

For a long time, Schoenfeld was the youngest.  Not sure if Eichel tops him.  Would guess that Jack has him by a few days but don't honestly know.

Audette was the captain for 1 game in B&G but then was captain again a few times in his second stint w/ the Sabres.

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Oldest would likely be Gionta.

Nice call. His wife's name is "Harvest Gionta" which is just weird.

I think Schoeny still is the youngest and Eichel never should have been captain anyway.  It STILL bothers me that if they had just given that to O'Reilly, the rebuild would have been over forever ago.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.