IIHF world championships 2023

steveoath

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So you're suggesting that in a few years Levi will be one of the top 3 Canadian NHL goalies in the league? That's quite optimistic, and we can only hope that you are right. 

Not really optimistic, just realistic about Canadian goaltending.

If there had been a World Cup last fall the goalies that were discussed were Hart, Kuemper and Binnington. Not exactly Roy, Brodeur and Luongo.

24 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Not really optimistic, just realistic about Canadian goaltending.

If there had been a World Cup last fall the goalies that were discussed were Hart, Kuemper and Binnington. Not exactly Roy, Brodeur and Luongo.

There are a lot of Russian goalies in the league aren't there? As well as Scandinavians. 

I'd have to look over all the rosters and think about it (and I will admit to being too lazy :)) but there has to be more Canadian goalies than that. I'm blanking though so maybe there isn't. That's kind of weird now that I think about it. I wonder why. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

There are a lot of Russian goalies in the league aren't there? As well as Scandinavians. 

I'd have to look over all the rosters and think about it (and I will admit to being too lazy :)) but there has to be more Canadian goalies than that. I'm blanking though so maybe there isn't. That's kind of weird now that I think about it. I wonder why. 

Here is the list of NHL goalies from Canada. Levi doesn’t have much competition. It is a weakness for this country.

MA Fleury, Carter Hart, Darcy Kuemper, Logan Thompson, Cam Talbot, Stuart Skinner, Aidin Hill, Jake Allen, Tristan Jarry, Jordan Binnington, James Reimer, Brian Elliot, Martin Jones, Eric Comrie, Sam Montembeault, Laurent Brossoit, Scott Wedgewood, MacKenzie Blackwood, Matt Murray and Connor Ingram.

Edited by French Collection
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Here is the list of NHL goalies from Canada. Levi doesn’t have much competition. It is a weakness for this country.

MA Fleury, Carter Hart, Darcy Kuemper, Logan Thompson, Cam Talbot, Stuart Skinner, Aidin Hill, Jake Allen, Tristan Jarry, Jordan Binnington, James Reimer, Brian Elliot, Martin Jones, Eric Comrie, Sam Montembeault, Laurent Brossoit, Scott Wedgewood, MacKenzie Blackwood, Matt Murray and Connor Ingram.

And all are better that UPL and Comrie

11 hours ago, French Collection said:

Montembeault was identified as #1 early on. He lost vs the Swiss but they have a decent team. Montembeault has NHL seniority but in a short tournament the leash should be arms length.

Levi should have started at least two games. He should be #2 after the Hofer shootout fiasco. He should take the net if Montembeault falters, it may be too late by then in the knockout round. Sabres fans value him more and we are probably way more in tune with his game than Team Canada’s staff but they should know his upside is higher than the other two.

Hofer should have been #3 as he was brought in late and he hasn’t proven anything at the NHL level yet.

Doug Armstrong being the Team Canada GM and Hofer being a Blues Prospect isn’t lost on me 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

That is a surprisingly weak list. I wonder why that is? Expensive goalie equipment parents can't afford? Lack of glamor in the position at an early age? Coaching? It's definitely a puzzling thing. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That is a surprisingly weak list. I wonder why that is? Expensive goalie equipment parents can't afford? Lack of glamor in the position at an early age? Coaching? It's definitely a puzzling thing. 

I am guessing as well but the cost of equipment is a big factor in turning parents off of hockey and goalie gear is the most expensive.

As a kid, goalies only play 1/2 the games. There is more pressure.

It is strange other countries are producing better goalies.

We might need Levi to inspire the next generation.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

I am guessing as well but the cost of equipment is a big factor in turning parents off of hockey and goalie gear is the most expensive.

They produce better goalies out of necessity, they have no choice, they’re playing Canada.😉

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

I was googling around and found this 2021 article by Larry Brooks. Quotes Biron in it. Main thing in his opinion is the development model. 

https://nypost.com/2021/03/20/why-quebec-is-no-longer-an-nhl-goalie-factory/

That one focused on Quebec. This slightly older one from the CBC focused on Ontario basically says the same thing. European development model for goalies is better. UPL gets mention here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ohl-trades-hockey-1.5011453

So they've kind of figured out the reason. I'm surprised they haven't done more to address it.

49 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I was googling around and found this 2021 article by Larry Brooks. Quotes Biron in it. Main thing in his opinion is the development model. 

https://nypost.com/2021/03/20/why-quebec-is-no-longer-an-nhl-goalie-factory/

That one focused on Quebec. This slightly older one from the CBC focused on Ontario basically says the same thing. European development model for goalies is better. UPL gets mention here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ohl-trades-hockey-1.5011453

So they've kind of figured out the reason. I'm surprised they haven't done more to address it.

Invoking Larry Brooks is a good way to ensure that no one reads the rest of the post.  He's a quarter-millimeter above Bruce Garrioch on the credibility scale.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's just an article. Biron and Brodeur are the two guys quoted. You respect them don't you? 

Larry Brooks would quote a scientist and then write that the formula for water is H3O.  He destroyed his own reputation; his sources didn't.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

The Swiss were really good in the preliminary round, this would be an upset.

Getting more JJP is a good thing.

On a related note... JJP was simply sick of the Swiss and their good preliminary round. They beat Canada... with Montambeault! It meant nothing.

What is it with Swedes faking injuries and doing the head bob? Just watched the TSN bit showing the Latvians/Swedes. That Lindholm head fake was just embarrassing to hockey. Hope the Latvians find a way to beat them. 

Montembault is playing really well. Quinn's goal was a little lucky but it was a goal scorer's goal. Goal scorer's find a way and often look lucky. His speed burst was impressive. 

Peterka's goal against the Swiss was a real snipe. He's showing true signs of breaking out. We can hope it'll be like Cozens and he will have his NHL break out year next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.