IIHF world championships 2023

steveoath

18 hours ago, Marvin said:

One thing this tournament showed me is that everyone who has written off Peyton Krebs or views him as just filler in a trade should rethink their analysis.

I have been one of his biggest supporters. Still hoping he can have linemates with scoring ability. He sets up others with great passes, due to his non-stop hustle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Was there much doubt that Canada would win. 

They almost always win international tourneys. Granted the scandanavian countries have pushed further a bit, but Canada is always the team to beat. 

In this tourney, since 2015 that's typically the case.  But prior to that, Canada didn't do particularly well since the early 60's because the tournament goes on during the SC playoffs.  Canada's best players had better things to do.  The Europeans always took this tournament seriously.  The North Americans, not so much until recently.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/30/2023 at 11:13 PM, Taro T said:

In this tourney, since 2015 that's typically the case.  But prior to that, Canada didn't do particularly well since the early 60's because the tournament goes on during the SC playoffs.  Canada's best players had better things to do.  The Europeans always took this tournament seriously.  The North Americans, not so much until recently.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not so much that Canadians are taking the tournament more seriously, but I think the Euros are taking this tournament less seriously.

Like most of the top talent in Canada, the rest of the stars around the world (for the most part) are also sitting this out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not so much that Canadians are taking the tournament more seriously, but I think the Euros are taking this tournament less seriously.

Like most of the top talent in Canada, the rest of the stars around the world (for the most part) are also sitting this out.

Yes, many European stars take the time off like the North Americans.

A lot of fringe NHLers and veteran club players make up the Euro teams. Rantanen played for Finland but no one else of that caliber joined him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.