The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

32 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Let's not forget that they turned the light off on the Jets the last time they met int he playoffs.

Cheaters all around.

Best of 5 and 3 of the first 4 are in Winnipeg...I like our odds to be honest.

Eichel played well while Scheifele played like he didn't give a *****...absolute garbage.

Wasn’t Scheifele called out by Paul Maurice for that in previous playoffs?

Tonight’s matchups:

Can Florida follow up a convincing win in Boston and take the lead at home?

Lyon has done his share, career AHLer stands tall.

Can the Canes put a stranglehold on the series in Long Island?

Fishermen in danger of being blown out to sea.

Can the Wild sort out their goaltending to get back on track in St Paul?

Stars in line to guide the favourites to a lead.

Can the Kings keep the high powered Oilers in check?

Royalty refuses to bend the knee to McJesus.

Edited by French Collection
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Tonight’s matchups:

Can the Canes put a stranglehold on the series in Long Island?

Fishermen in danger of being blown out to sea.

Can the Wild sort out their goaltending to get back on track in Dallas?

Stars in line to guide the favourites to a lead.

Can the Kings keep the high powered Oilers in check?

Royalty refuses to bend the knee to McJesus.

Sounds like a commercial .

InsignificantAptAtlasmoth-size_restricte

48 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Tonight’s matchups:

Don't forget, the Panthers were the President's Trophy winner last year and they got swept in the first round. President's Trophy teams seem to have much difficulty in the playoffs in recent years. It would be a real shame if Taylor Hall and the Boston Bruins get eliminated in round 1. But I was sincerely hoping for the Panthers to be swept so they'd be in complete chaos, being swept two years in a row. 

1 hour ago, Quint said:

Don't forget, the Panthers were the President's Trophy winner last year and they got swept in the first round. President's Trophy teams seem to have much difficulty in the playoffs in recent years. It would be a real shame if Taylor Hall and the Boston Bruins get eliminated in round 1. But I was sincerely hoping for the Panthers to be swept so they'd be in complete chaos, being swept two years in a row. 

I think it was the second round, by the Lightning.

Only 8 President’s Trophy winners have won the Stanley Cup in the almost 40 year history of that award.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Only 8 President’s Trophy winners have won the Stanley Cup in the almost 40 year history of that award.

Oof. And that list excludes arguably the greatest Sabre team ever.

Last team to do it was the Toews/Kane/Keith Blackhawks. Not sure which year.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

I think it was the second round, by the Lightning.

Math checks out on this. Still far outstripping any other single seeding placement 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Quint said:

Bruins might be in trouble. Florida has had better goaltending so far (unlike the regular season where Ullmark saved several games), Bergeron is out with his mystery injury/illness (concussion rumours), Krejci looks old, and Florida has been physically dominant (which seems odd given the Bruins history, but this team is not that tough). You beat what Florida is doing by either being REALLY FAST and killing them on the PP, or going into all out physical war and out hitting them and wearing down their thin D. Bruins aren't capable of the first option and aren't doing the second so idk. Sabres fans might get to rejoice, although that might mean Leafs.........

Regular season vs. playoffs. Is there ANY point of going for a President's trophy at all? Seems like a no. 

8 hours ago, French Collection said:

Wasn’t Scheifele called out by Paul Maurice for that in previous playoffs?

If the peg would like to be rid of Scheifele I'd be happy to take him off their hands.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Regular season vs. playoffs. Is there ANY point of going for a President's trophy at all? Seems like a no. 

Tampa agrees. Worthless trophy.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Oof. And that list excludes arguably the greatest Sabre team ever.

Last team to do it was the Toews/Kane/Keith Blackhawks. Not sure which year.

I'll go to my grave believing the team that SHOULD have won the cup was in 93. Keep Andreychuck, let Hasek play. Beat Montreal. Profit.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Contempt said:

If the peg would like to be rid of Scheifele I'd be happy to take him off their hands.

Tampa agrees. Worthless trophy.

Scheifele is terrible defensively. And a locker room issue. We don’t want him trust me 

He’s got one year left on a contract that at one time was a steal but he’s now headed for a significant increase in $ to make up for being underpaid relative to his pointz totals for years: so he’s set to be drastically overpaid especially considering he’s never succeeded in rounding out his putrid two way game 

He’s actually had his 2 *worst* defensive years the last 2 seasons, and this year he fell (well) below point a game for the first time since 2016. And he turned 30. 

Run

Edited by Thorny

50 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Scheifele is terrible defensively. And a locker room issue. We don’t want him trust me 

He’s got one year left on a contract that at one time was a steal but he’s now headed for a significant increase in $ to make up for being underpaid relative to his pointz totals for years: so he’s set to be drastically overpaid especially considering he’s never succeeded in rounding out his putrid two way game 

He’s actually had his 2 *worst* defensive years the last 2 seasons, and this year he fell (well) below point a game for the first time since 2016. And he turned 30. 

Run

You're in the room?

Remarks like this by fans amaze me how much they follow whatever the media says.

Also, he played really well in both ends for about half the season and has now gone back to last year's lazy, don't gaf play. The Jets aren't going anywhere with him playing like that. This is a guy that set a goal record in the playoffs in 2018 (most goals scored (11) away from home in the playoffs) without even playing in the finals.

The main reason for not getting a point a game is because he was saddled with wingers earlier in the season that were not top 6 caliber. He actually played a much much better D game with those wingers.

He has been on the RW now for about 6 or so games. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Run

I'll defer to you on the locker room

Just now, Contempt said:

I'll defer to you on the locker room

Him and Jack are really good friends 

I’m not really sure what this board’s leanings are re: jack, and his affect on culture, it’s not something I see being talked about very much, so the above may not be a relevant conversion piece for anyone but, thought I might throw that out in case anyone wanted to sink their teeth into it 

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Him and Jack are really good friends 

I’m not really sure what this board’s leanings are re: jack, and his affect on culture, it’s not something I see being talked about very much, so the above may not be a relevant conversion piece for anyone but, thought I might throw that out in case anyone wanted to sink their teeth into it 

I don't know what either of them are like IRL. I'd like to think Eichel is a shitheel because it assuages my bereavement but I dunno in actuality if that's true.

I still don't get how the Bruins were so good all year. They are good defensively, but nothing else they do is that impressive. The refs have been helping them tonight. Montour gets absolutely tripped and no call. Then the puck goes the other way and they blow the whistle for a garbage call against Florida. And now Ekblad is out. Good luck guys. 

Hey, whattya know, a penalty on Boston. Let's go Cats. 

Just now, Claude Balls said:

I still don't get how the Bruins were so good all year. They are good defensively, but nothing else they do is that impressive. The refs have been helping them tonight. Montour gets absolutely tripped and no call. Then the puck goes the other way and they blow the whistle for a garbage call against Florida. And now Ekblad is out. Good luck guys. 

Hey, whattya know, a penalty on Boston. Let's go Cats. 

I'm rooting for the Bruins because it makes me money and I like to bet on chalk. Other than that Boston can rot in hell.

• Haha (+1) 1

Still, Boston has one superstar, David Pastrnak. I will never call Marchand a superstar. He is the dirtiest pos in the league. He is the king of slew foots and gets away with it 99% of the time somehow. He had one in the 2nd period than somehow went unnoticed. And all of a sudden Linus Ullmark, who couldn't stop a runny nose in Buffalo, looks like Martin Brodeur. My hate for Boston runs deep. 

3 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I knew I liked you.

Don't tell anyone.

Edited by Claude Balls

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.