GDT: Rangers at Sabres-03-31 7:00PM Levi debuts

MattPie

Just now, jad1 said:

So, why didn't Portillo want to sign here?

This is what I can't understand. I mean, he saw Levi in camp and knows the GM love him. But...  didn't he also look at the empty AHL spots, the retiring 42 year-old, the 1-year contract on Comrie, and UPL and say... "Well, I can do pretty well against all the rest of that?"

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's the question of... what would we say if we watched Hasek and the '99 Sabres live with modern communication technology?

There would always be some folks would certainly complain that Hasek let himself get out of position and that made him have to do the rolling save in the first place.

Ok, I’m psyched, but it’s one game. Maybe we pump the brakes in the “well the GOAT did it too”.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

This is what I can't understand. I mean, he saw Levi in camp and knows the GM love him. But...  didn't he also look at the empty AHL spots, the retiring 42 year-old, the 1-year contract on Comrie, and UPL and say... "Well, I can do pretty well against all the rest of that?"

I thought Comrie was a 2 year, meaning he'll be back next season.

Some quick thoughts about this game:

Levi gets the first star. Needless to say he was impressive. What an exciting prospect!

Skinner gets my second star. 

I thought JJ played one of his best games. The Quinn/Cozens/JJ is playing with a lot of confidence. There were a couple of sequences where JJ put on the jets and got ahead of the defenders. 

The niftiest pass in the game was Mitts pass to Greenway for a score. 

The prettiest sequence was the Quinn to Cozens to JJ for a score. Cozens is emerging as a player and driver of that line. 

Getting Samuelsson back makes a difference. 

The Sabres had few penalties but more importantly no stupid penalties that put the team in a vulnerable position in a tight game. 

Both teams deserved accolades because each of the teams had the maturity to stay with their game throughout. Buffalo has had a tendency to play more individually when they got behind. Each team stuck with it. 

The Rangers are a good team. We matched them in both of our last two games with them. 

Over the last four games the Sabres have earned seven points. 

I want to see Tage get back real soon. There's a big cascading difference along the lines when he is out. 

Tomorrow's game against Philly is a big game for us. 

I'm fond of this team. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Happy for the win. Didn't like the lower gear in the second or third although I recognize the Rangers played a role in that. Levi was fun to watch - makes our other goalies look like 🐌 (that's a snail). He strikes me as diminutive in net although he's 6 foot. Doesn't matter when he's like the Flash. This is going to be an interesting home stretch!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Skinner gets my second star. 

Skinner was enraged - he was hitting people and out for vengeance. I wish the rest of the team would hit people in our zone like Skinner was hitting in the third.

1 minute ago, ... said:

Skinner was enraged - he was hitting people and out for vengeance. I wish the rest of the team would hit people in our zone like Skinner was hitting in the third.

He was a Tasmanian Devil out there. He plays with passion. And he curses a lot on the ice. ☠️

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well that was fun. late season fun game, has meaning, what more can you want?

Rangers kind of only showed up for one period but that doesn't really matter, a win's a win. 

Great to finally see Greenway do something positive. Maybe there's still hope for him after all. Cozen's line was our best aside from what happened in the OT. 

Thoughts on Levi: 

He's very quick, agile, positions himself well, and seems focused in. Lacks good rebound control as most young goalies do. No surprise there. He has real potential, but (and it's a big but) he really does look small in there for current NHL standards and when he goes down and spreads those pads, he covers a lot of the lower net, but there is an absolute ton of high open net. Once teams get the book on him I see them shooting high and that could end up being a serious weakness. idk if he will be able to cover/adapt to that or not. Time will tell. 

If he had UPL's size, with his quickness, he'd be absolutely perfect. 

Keep winning and playoffs aren't impossible. 

He doesn’t seem to commit to the shot until he sees whether he has to make a save low or make a save high. It won’t be as simple as “shoot high on Devon Levi” and you beat him. Imo, it will be a question of whether to go blocker side or glove side vs. going high or low. 

19 minutes ago, steveoath said:

.941 debut. That's good isn't it?

That doesn’t suck.

• Agree 2

I just got home, had few beers after work, just saw the recap.

But one thing I thought, when I checked score at bar, man 3 shots on him in period 1, going to be rough when you get 30 more next two periods. 
0-1 ahead as well , this is a game a goalie wins for you.  Might be too much to ask.

See us win 2-3 in overtime for a home crowd is just the best start he could have had.  Im so wasted but with big smile 😄

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jeff Skinner immediately turned up ice and pointed at Levi.

yeah I noticed it too 🙂

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.