GDT: The Buffalo Sabres Host Atlantic Rival Tampa Bay Lightning 3/4/2023 at 12:30pm EST on MSG & ESPN+

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I don’t think it was mean-spirited, just, as I said, tone-deaf.

To the kid, a professional hockey journalist making that joke about a 10-year-old to thousands on social media is going to feel considerably different than Dad making that joke to Uncle Brian at the church picnic.

I don’t even understand how it is tone deaf.  Nearly every parent has made that joke and got laughter.  It was light hearted.  MH doesnt get the benefit of the doubt because he spoke his mind when fans wanted the team to lose on purpose and they haven’t gotten over it.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'll bite. Why?

Because he's been tough on a historically bad franchise?

I think he balances out his fanboi colleague nicely.

Again, YMMV.  

From where I sit, he makes Steve Simmons look like Jim Kelley.  

Frequently.  

At the end of the second period after the late Sabres goal, Corey Perry slammed the bench door hard twice right next to me (seated at row two next to the bench and hallway. He was so pissed. He DEFINITELY heard me yell, “slam it again, Corey!”

It made my heart happy to see how frustrated the champs were. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

How did it not work? Tampa is solidly in the playoffs. When the season is over, they may have to play up to 2 months more of hockey. Why would you play your top line in the third, down by 3, in a game you don’t even need, when you play again tomorrow against a top team?

It was smart coaching.

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It didn’t work YESTERDAY.  

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

At that point, they weren’t playing for yesterday. They have that luxury.

Edit: Not sure why the eye roll. If you add in the fact that none of them got injured in the third, as well, then you can say it did work yesterday, too.

Canes 6

Tampa 0

The Sabres softened them up, with help from Cooper, and Carolina pounded them today, even with a rested first line.  

Bench your best 3 forwards for a period and still get killed.  He was 0 for 4 on a back to back. That’s 5 or 6 losses in a row. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Canes 6

Tampa 0

The Sabres softened them up, with help from Cooper, and Carolina pounded them today, even with a rested first line.  

Bench your best 3 forwards for a period and still get killed.  He was 0 for 4 on a back to back. That 5 or 6 losses in a row. 

They looked gassed.  They’ve played an entire additional season with all their recent playoff runs.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

They looked gassed.  They’ve played an entire additional season with all their recent playoff runs.  

That is legit.  The Lightning have played an extra season and no doubt it takes a toll.  That happened to the great Bills teams under Levy.  They played an extra season to get to four Super Bowl.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Rewatching the game... watching the Buffalo feed this time.  Impressions so far:  Once Tage scored the Sabres carried the play, both scoring and physically.  I think Stillman is a necessary piece of this team.  The hip check in the second period was fantastic.

Just saw the Hinostroza goal and I have to say I think there's some strong chemistry between Mitts and Cozens.  They kept that play alive a long time before the feed to Vinny.

Peterka is oh-so-close to breaking out.  It will happen, if not this season, next.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Dahlin penalty with the repercussions.... Someone mentioned that Olofsson really wants to be a Sabre.  I believe it.  Olofsson was there in Dahlin's defense.  Skinner is Skinner; I love having him on this team.

I know Mittelstadt has his flaws, but mark my words when playoffs come he will be a warrior.

• Like (+1) 1

The Dunleavy Era has begun.  I *do* like his calls. 

I think because he started during the frustrating Eichel Era and he had to share time with RJ (which was not the plan when they hired him), there was too much comparison between the two and frankly the game to call was awful.

Now that the Sabres are something Dan is finding his game.  He's excited about the Sabres and it shows.

• Like (+1) 2

It's a different top line with Quin in Tuch's spot, but it's still a legit NHL top line.  It might be even more dangerous.

This is significant because when Tuch returns you're either inserting him on one of the lower lines and elevating them, or you're bumping Quinn down and basically doing the same thing.  I think a Mitt-Cozens-Quinn or Tuch line will be absolutely frightening to opponents.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.