Sabres trade for Defenseman Riley Stillman in exchange for Josh Bloom

Brawndo

Just now, Curt said:

In your opinion, this move does not make the Sabres better in any way because Stillman is not any good and is no better than Bryson.  Thus the Sabres needlessly tossed away Bloom, regardless of how low the probability is that Bloom becomes a contributor.  Do I have that about right?

Its probable that Kevyn Adams simply disagrees with you.  He probably feels that Stillman IS an upgrade over Bryson, and that Stillman can help the Sabres.

Me personally, I don’t love this trade on the surface.  But I don’t feel super confident that Bloom becomes anything, and I’ve never really watched Stillman play, so it’s kind of hard for me to feel anything strongly one way or the other.  I feel this deal probably isn’t really going to amount to much in the end.

The bottom line is that KA could have acquired a Stillman type player on the waiver wire without wasting an asset. 

It’s likely neither player moves the needle in the NHL for anyone.  However we know Stillman isn’t good, but Bloom might be.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The bottom line is that KA could have acquired a Stillman type player on the waiver wire without wasting an asset. 

It’s likely neither player moves the needle in the NHL for anyone.  However we know Stillman isn’t good, but Bloom might be.

As the Sabres get better, and the expectations change, time old cliches that are so because they are often true come back into play for the first time in a decade: 

a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush

even if bloom has a chance to be better, the chance isn’t what is priority, anymore: respectfully I think there’s a bit of forest people are missing here to climb individual trees. The *actuality* of what we are gaining is the play, because we are at a stage where the ends justify the means: specific targets - when you are rebuilding you must win trades, as a rule, by value. When you try to win, you can lose battles to win the war 

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well considering he was actually right ...

D'oh!

(Dang, you're quick.  Thought that was deleted quicker than that.)

Shooting Quick Draw GIF by GritTV

wife don’t call me QuickDraw for nothin 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly I’m also sick of KA shopping at bargain mart.  Wouldn’t it be nice to acquire someone who is actually good at hockey and we don’t have to speculate that with a little luck he might help us.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160632&encode=TRUE

Not exactly a trade that moves the needle.

I’ve seen Bloom play a lot. He is a long term prospect that will play in the AHL and may never crack the NHL. He is a good junior player but doesn’t drive his line. He is a complimentary player that is good in both directions. He plays PP1 on a good junior team but he is not the playmaker or trigger man. He is often the bumper guy and moves to the net front to clean up rebounds. He is a good PK guy who anticipates well and scores a lot of shorthanded goals.

Anyway, he is gone. He was low on the pipeline totem pole and KA probably couldn’t see him in B&G. In my opinion, his ceiling is Dan Paille but will need a lot of work to get there.

Stillman I don’t know much about other than he comes from a hockey family. Dad Corey played a long time in the NHL and is currently an assistant in AZ. His brother Chase is a Devils 1st rounder playing in the OHL and was coached by his father in Sudbury.

If he is better than Bryson I am happy.

I suspect there are other moves afoot here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Tuch on IR.

Tuch's contract doesn't count against the 23.

They were at 23 this AM, now that they've added Stillman it appears they are at 24.  Most likely UPL is officially in Ra-cha-cha or the Sabres are getting a temporary waiver today while Stillman travels to Buffalo.

Houser doesn't count against the 23 because he's been waived.  (He's officially on the roster, but guys designated for waivers don't count against the 23.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Tuch's contract doesn't count against the 23.

They were at 23 this AM, now that they've added Stillman it appears they are at 24.  Most likely UPL is officially in Ra-cha-cha or the Sabres are getting a temporary waiver today while Stillman travels to Buffalo.

Houser doesn't count against the 23 because he's been waived.  (He's officially on the roster, but guys designated for waivers don't count against the 23.)

The "count" happens at noon daily, no?  

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly I’m also sick of KA shopping at bargain mart.  Wouldn’t it be nice to acquire someone who is actually good at hockey and we don’t have to speculate that with a little luck he might help us.

Looks at Tuch and Krebs... yes it would. 

I don't understand why you continue to act as if Adams hasn't added to this team. 

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Incorrect.  I just looked at the contracts.  Olivier Nadeau is one of our contracts; he's playing in the Q.  Bloom was signed; he was one of our contracts.

Nope.  I am correct.  Capfriendly has the red circle next to Bloom, Nadeau, Savoie and Östlund.  None counted toward our 50 contracts.  Thanks for playing.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Looks at Tuch and Krebs... yes it would. 

I don't understand why you continue to act as if Adams hasn't added to this team. 

They came from a core clean out trade.  

I'm talking about all the Comrie, Lyubushkin, Hayden, Pysyk, Butcher, Dell type moves.  This is just another one of those, aka roster filler.  

This is a garbage deal and you know it.  

Come one KA move the damn needle and help this fargin team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They came from a core clean out trade.  

I'm talking about all the Comrie, Lyubushkin, Hayden, Pysyk, Butcher, Dell type moves.  This is just another one of those, aka roster filler.  

The Lyubushkin move was a smart and productive move, especially considering his contract and the cost (nothing) in assets. And so was the Jost pickup. I'm not categorizing either pickup as a major deal but they helped to round out the roster. 

50 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ok Tim Murray, maybe we should trade a bunch of prospects and high picks for Evander Kane or ROR. That worked so well. Trust the process. 

2 minutes ago, freester said:

Ok Tim Murray, maybe we should trade a bunch of prospects and high picks for Evander Kane or ROR. That worked so well. Trust the process. 

I'm not advocating for that either.  There is an in between wasting assets on a big $ rental and picking up Vancouver's garbage.  For example, it's getting Niederreiter for a 2024 2nd.  It's getting Jordan Greenway for a medium draft pick because we can take on his cap hit for the next two years.  

Admittedly, it's entirely possible that KA has other moves up his sleeve that will be better, but this is an awful beginning.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.