Cam Talbot to BUF?

Spoonman

On 2/26/2023 at 9:47 AM, Spoonman said:

Do you mean THIS Kevin Weeks?

For all asking, my understanding is the @NHLFlames have Tkachuk ( who is a future potential captain) an upcoming 1 Rd pick, a former 1st Rd pick, and 2 prospects in the Eichel sweepstakes with the @BuffaloSabres . @espn @NHLNetwork #HockeyTwitter

That was Kevyn's finest move, feeding that false flag through Weekes.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

No I actually don’t have any specific names in mind right now tbh

There's a loud campaign to upgrade our goaltending. When the advocates are asked what goalies on the market are available that our GM would be interested in, the response is the same as you gave in your post: (No one in particular.) The GM and the coach are staying with the trio that they currently have. It wouldn't be surprising that the trio will soon be shortened to a duo to finish out the season. That's where this organization is at; and that is where it is going to stay until the next season. 

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There's a loud campaign to upgrade our goaltending. When the advocates are asked what goalies on the market are available that our GM would be interested in, the response is the same as you gave in your post: (No one in particular.) The GM and the coach are staying with the trio that they currently have. It wouldn't be surprising that the trio will soon be shortened to a duo to finish out the season. That's where this organization is at; and that is where it is going to stay until the next season. 

I’ve responded to this 1000 times: I don’t have the contacts that Adams has. I don’t have *a* contact Adams has. That I cannot tell you who Adams SHOULD add doesn’t go anywhere towards proving there aren’t options. It’s not my job. Having the opinion that the goalie needs to be and should be upgraded is the opinion in itself 

I’m *not* advocating for a G add this season. You must have missed that. I already know it’s not happening. You also must have missed the fact I have human eyes because you have an odd habit of spending a good portion of your posts stating and belabouring the obvious 

yes, I know we have 3 goalies. You’ve found a way to make “we have 3 goalies on the roster and these are our goalies because these are the goalies on the team and they are the goalies on the team because they are the roster’s goalies” your running point now for a good many posts directed at me 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Saros may become available. If he does I hope Adams pounces on it. I said weeks ago Nashville may blow it up, they've started, just not sure how big the explosion will be yet. Depends on Askarov. 

Doesn't help that the team keeps ***** winning!

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

Saros may become available. If he does I hope Adams pounces on it. I said weeks ago Nashville may blow it up, they've started, just not sure how big the explosion will be yet. Depends on Askarov. 

KA has made it abundantly clear that he isn't going to give up significant future assets for the present situation. I would love to have a goalie like Soros but it is unlikely to happen here. 

Point of fact: Dave Pagnotta said that goalies traded mid-season often under-perform on their new team because the are not used to the system being played in front of them.  So we are probably better off waiting for goalkeeping help in the off-season.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

KA has made it abundantly clear that he isn't going to give up significant future assets for the present situation. I would love to have a goalie like Soros but it is unlikely to happen here. 

Not actually what he said. Close, but there’s a distinction where you are incorrect: he said he wasn’t going to make deals that *harmed* the future. Not a full stop refusal to give up significant future assets in a deal that helps the now. If we could hypothetically add good young pieces that help now AND in the future, ie players that fit our current core’s age group, I do not believe we’d be harming the future by dealing significant assets in the deal. 

We just aren’t trading significant future assets for pieces that are ONLY for short term gain 

in the hypothetical situation Saros could be had, I think he’d fit the bill. He’s the same age as Tuch Thompson and Skinner 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’ve responded to this 1000 times: I don’t have the contacts that Adams has. I don’t have *a* contact Adams has. That I cannot tell you who Adams SHOULD add doesn’t go anywhere towards proving there aren’t options. It’s not my job. Having the opinion that the goalie needs to be and should be upgraded is the opinion in itself 

I’m *not* advocating for a G add this season. You must have missed that. I already know it’s not happening. You also must have missed the fact I have human eyes because you have an odd habit of spending a good portion of your posts stating and belabouring the obvious 

yes, I know we have 3 goalies. You’ve found a way to make “we have 3 goalies on the roster and these are our goalies because these are the goalies on the team and they are the goalies on the team because they are the roster’s goalies” your running point now for a good many posts directed at me 

You have to listen to what the GM (not me) has been saying since he arrived. He does have options to make deals. That's obvious. And he does communicate with all the other GMs because that is his job.  But he has made it clear how he is going to handle his responsibilities. Look at the deals he made this offseason such as acquiring Lyubushkin, Comrie and getting Yost during the season. None of them required giving up assets, most notably future assets. He's executing the plan that he has publicly stated he was going to do right from the start. If you find his plan too conservative and exasperating to live with then I don't know what to say. 

You asked if the GM will add another goalie in the offseason. My prediction is that he will not. If there is a deal I don't see it being anything other than a middling deal for Comrie. My guess is that he believes that he has the future goalie in the system i.e. Levi. And he will ride it out until he is ready to compete with UPL for the primary goalie spot. I'm sure you are not satisfied with that scenario playing out but that's what I see happening here. 

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Not actually what he said. Close, but there’s a distinction where you are incorrect: he said he wasn’t going to make deals that *harmed* the future. Not a full stop refusal to give up significant future assets in a deal that helps the now. If we could hypothetically add good young pieces that help now AND in the future, ie players that fit our current core’s age group, I do not believe we’d be harming the future by dealing significant assets in the deal. 

We just aren’t trading significant future assets for pieces that are ONLY for short term gain 

in the hypothetical situation Saros could be had, I think he’d fit the bill. He’s the same age as Tuch Thompson and Skinner 

I don't believe that KA will expend significant assets for Saros when he is likely to soon have Levi in the system. It's my impression that KA is inherently cautious. I don't see that scenario materializing. Let's just wait and see what happens. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You have to listen to what the GM (not me) has been saying since he arrived. He does have options to make deals. That's obvious. And he does communicate with all the other GMs because that is his job.  But he has made it clear how he is going to handle his responsibilities. Look at the deals he made this offseason such as acquiring Lyubushkin, Comrie and getting Yost during the season. None of them required giving up assets, most notably future assets. He's executing the plan that he has publicly stated he was going to do right from the start. If you find his plan too conservative and exasperating to live with then I don't know what to say. 

You asked if the GM will add another goalie in the offseason. My prediction is that he will not. If there is a deal I don't see it being anything other than a middling deal for Comrie. My guess is that he believes that he has the future goalie in the system i.e. Levi. And he will ride it out until he is ready to compete with UPL for the primary goalie spot. I'm sure you are not satisfied with that scenario playing out but that's what I see happening here. 

I don’t find the plan exasperating. Creating straw man arguments my guy. 

Ill disagree with your reading of the GM re: adding a G next season. I think many aspects of the process changes when the core has been identified and it’s time to take the next step: that is to say, the principles by which you are claiming it’s easy to predict what Adams will/has done this current season haven’t been established yet, for next season. 

I agree with the likes of Brawndo when he said now that the core is identified it means Adams realizes the strategy shifts and Dudacek when he says Adams is using the FULL season to evaluate the goalies. If that’s the case, and there is indeed an evaluation going on, that means logically the evaluation could be failed and presumably an addition / upgrade made. For me to suppose the evaluation might be in the process of a fail is hardly an observational leap. 

I think it depends 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don’t find the plan exasperating. Creating straw man arguments my guy. 

Ill disagree with your reading of the GM re: adding a G next season. I think many aspects of the process changes when the core has been identified and it’s time to take the next step: that is to say, the principles by which you are claiming it’s easy to predict what Adams will/has done this current season haven’t been established yet, for next season. 

I agree with the likes of Brawndo when he said now that the core is identified it means Adams realizes the strategy shifts and Dudacek when he says Adams is using the FULL season to evaluate the goalies. If that’s the case, and there is indeed an evaluation going on, that means logically the evaluation could be failed and presumably an addition / upgrade made. For me to suppose the evaluation might be in the process of a fail is hardly an observational leap. 

I think it depends 

Let me add that I also agree with @Brawndothat the core has been identified and that it is a factor in KA's approach to bringing in or not bringing in players. Players such as Dahlin, Power and Quinn are going to require large expenditures. Add those prospective contracts to the contracts that have been given to Tage, Cozens, Samuelsson, Skinner, Tage and you can see a cap squeeze developing in the not-too-distant future. Because KA is very much focused on the future it is influences on how he acts in the present and near future. 

We are going in circles. I agree with you that everything depends. We'll just have to leave it there and see how things play out. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Will be interesting to see if Saros does become available.  Friedman is convinced he won't, but for the right price pretty much anything can happen.

Would be all in on that as he'd make the Sabres legit contenders for however long it took for Levi to arrive or flame out.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I think that seems to have been more true in the summer than it is now.

John Gibson and Thatcher Demko are depreciated but talented options worth looking at. Cam Talbot has certainly outplayed Comrie. And Juuse Saros would flat out transform our team.

44 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Will be interesting to see if Saros does become available.  Friedman is convinced he won't, but for the right price pretty much anything can happen.

Would be all in on that as he'd make the Sabres legit contenders for however long it took for Levi to arrive or flame out.

Especially if Adams can also grab Ekholm, if he can do that I think we make a deep run this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Let me add that I also agree with @Brawndothat the core has been identified and that it is a factor in KA's approach to bringing in or not bringing in players. Players such as Dahlin, Power and Quinn are going to require large expenditures. Add those prospective contracts to the contracts that have been given to Tage, Cozens, Samuelsson, Skinner, Tage and you can see a cap squeeze developing in the not-too-distant future. Because KA is very much focused on the future it is influences on how he acts in the present and near future. 

We are going in circles. I agree with you that everything depends. We'll just have to leave it there and see how things play out. 

With the rising cap, having your top 4 forwards locked up for a combined $28M and multiple forwards expected to be contributing on entry level deals, these worries about cap crunch are fodder, utter nonsense and excuses.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, tom webster said:

With the rising cap, having your top 4 forwards locked up for a combined $28M and multiple forwards expected to be contributing on entry level deals, these worries about cap crunch are fodder, utter nonsense and excuses.

I generally agree, but I also think devoting a large AAV, with term, to a goalie is poor roster construction.  I do not expect KA to give that kind of contract to a goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I generally agree, but I also think devoting a large AAV, with term, to a goalie is poor roster construction.  I do not expect KA to give that kind of contract to a goalie.

Paying one goalie a significant AAV while the other is on an entry level deal is palatable although I’d still prefer something below $5/$6M.

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

Whether it is a cap issue or not it is unlikely (my opinion) that this organization is going to sign veer from the course of going out and signing another goalie, assuming that Levi signs with the organization. After this year, Comrie and UPL will be our goalies with Levi down in Rochester waiting in the wings. That's how I see the goalie situation playing out. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think that seems to have been more true in the summer than it is now.

John Gibson and Thatcher Demko are depreciated but talented options worth looking at. Cam Talbot has certainly outplayed Comrie. And Juuse Saros would flat out transform our team.

Saros would definitely be an upgrade. What would you be willing to deal to get him? The GM has repeatedly stated and demonstrated that he is unwilling to part ways with young players and high-end prospects. The issue for me isn't whether he could do anything as it is would he. Based on how he has managed the operation for the past couple of years it seems that he is strongly inclined to build from within. The recent proposals that many are making is that he could he do this or that. That is not how I am framing the issue here. It is would he take the more aggressive course that many are arguing for. I say he will not because based on his prior actions he has a strong belief that staying the course that he set right from the outset is working well. He makes a compelling case that what he is doing is working. I'm confident that he is not going to pursue the more aggressive approach that @Thornyand @GASabresIUFANprefer.

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Saros would definitely be an upgrade. What would you be willing to deal to get him? The GM has repeatedly stated and demonstrated that he is unwilling to part ways with young players and high-end prospects. The issue for me isn't whether he could do anything as it is would he. Based on how he has managed the operation for the past couple of years it seems that he is strongly inclined to build from within. The recent proposals that many are making is that he could he do this or that. That is not how I am framing the issue here. It is would he take the more aggressive course that many are arguing for. I say he will not because based on his prior actions he has a strong belief that staying the course that he set right from the outset is working well. He makes a compelling case that what he is doing is working. I'm confident that he is not going to pursue the more aggressive approach that @Thornyand @GASabresIUFANprefer.

I have stated numerous times that I doubted he’d address the goaltending until the off-season. 

I’d of course welcome an upgrade, but think we can help the goaltending with better D who are more easily acquired at the deadline.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have stated numerous times that I doubted he’d address the goaltending until the off-season. 

I’d of course welcome an upgrade, but think we can help the goaltending with better D who are more easily acquired at the deadline.  

My opinion: I don't think that they will upgrade from what they already have. Again, this is my opinion. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Whether it is a cap issue or not it is unlikely (my opinion) that this organization is going to sign veer from the course of going out and signing another goalie, assuming that Levi signs with the organization. After this year, Comrie and UPL will be our goalies with Levi down in Rochester waiting in the wings. That's how I see the goalie situation playing out. 

There is no way they go into next year with Comrie and UPL. 

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

Yeah - skinners off the books by the time any questions come up around quinn/JJP and literally anyone else in the pipeline.  Tuch will be 30 if he hits UFA before that - 30 year olds don't get paid much and they usually don't get term.  Power gets a lower AAV because you buy out RFA years and trade some UFA ones.  Dahlin will get paid hopefully soon before the cap jumps.  

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

There is no way they go into next year with Comrie and UPL. 

We'll see. I think they will. Don't write off Comrie just yet. The injury he had in the beginning of the season set him back. I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Make no mistake what I'm saying here, I'm not elevating his status as a player. I just don't believe that the front office has completely written him off as many in the fandom have done. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.