Cam Talbot to BUF?

Spoonman

27 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Comrie has yet to outright steal a game and he was expected to do that from time to time.

Well, there was that Road game in Edmonton against McDavid and the Boys where he made almost 50 saves (46 or 48) while allowing only 2 goals as the Sabres held on for a narrow win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's talk about that then. We can ignore the fact SJS is 27th in goal differential at -44 and that they only had 2 20 goal scorers. In the last 10 games UPL also beat and played well against the Ducks, NYI, and Wild. Ducks are bad, really bad. The NYI was before the Horvat trade but that is a quality win. The Wild, we lost in OT. In the 5 games after the Wild game that UPL started, he has 1 game over a .900sv% and that is the SJS game. The rest of the time we have .879 to Carolina, .825 to Calgary, a .600 to the Leafs, and a .867 to the Caps. 

UPL has not been good in his last 5 games. Has Comrie been better? No not really. 

We need either one of the these two to improve really fast or we need Anderson to play more than once a week. 

I agree with you. Some people are acting like UPL hasn’t had any good games though. The SJ One was one he stole for the Sabres. 

If the Sabres can stabilize the net until Levi is ready then they need to do it. If you can get a stable goalie for a few years I would send UPL out in that deal or a separate deal. 

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

As it stands UPL is part of the juggling trio. And the organization appears to be satisfied with that. If that is the case, then the backdoor way to improve the netminding (for all the goalies) is to add another defenseman (Lyubushkin caliber) to shore up the blue line unit. It will be interesting to see if the coach continues on with the rotation or goes with a two-man rotation as the season winds down. I'm more intrigued about whether a defender is going to be added than the organization's unlikely willingness to bring in another goalie. As much as @GASabresIUFAN wishes it--I just don't see it happening. 

Most of us agree that Anderson is our best goalie. But the question about him is whether he is capable of handling a heavy workload. I'm not sure. However, it seems to me that the coach prefers erroring on the side that the best approach is less is better than more is. My position is I simply don't know what the better approach is??? As usual, I am befuddled on this issue.

More interested in what they do for GT next season, at this point, honestly. Entering into an evaluation year w/question marks in net is one thing, we couldn’t in good faith claim our realistic goal was playoffs next year imo if we enter into the year with UPL as #1

As you mention, the GT situation for 2022/23 as it stands Is What It Is. Play CA as much as his body allows and pray 

11 hours ago, French Collection said:

Comrie has actually won his last three starts. WPG, ANA, TBL.

We gave him even more support than UPL usually gets, in the WPG game, even if our goal total was less. I know this because Comrie was so underworked that night in winnipeg I stood by the glass and had a 7 minute conversation with him during the play about Yellowstone

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

More interested in what they do for GT next season, at this point, honestly. Entering into an evaluation year w/question marks in net is one thing, we couldn’t in good faith claim our realistic goal was playoffs next year imo if we enter into the year with UPL as #1

Well, they could, but unless he seriously picks up his play this next month and a half, it would be like entering a fight with 1 hand tied behind their back.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think I counted 8 starts where his sv % was above .920. Anderson has had 10. 

Comrie has 2, Edmonton and Calgary in his second and 3rd starts of the year way back in October.

In his 12 starts since, he’s had 9 games with a save % under .880. He’s “giving the team a chance to win” only once every 4 starts and has yet to “win” a game for them.

I get why people want to sit UPL, but Comrie has been clearly and demonstrably worse.

Shiny new toy 

nothing more 

And re UPL: that Anderson has more in significantly fewer starts doesn’t look great on UPL either, especially when the target he’s falling well short of isn’t even our aspiration 

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

As you mention, the GT situation for 2022/23 as it stands Is What It Is. Play CA as much as his body allows and pray 

This is just my opinion: I think that next year our netminders will be Comrie and UPL with Levi waiting in the wings. My sense is that the organization is invested in Levi and that the hope is that Comrie and UPL can hold the fort until Levi is ready to make the jump. I really don't see KA going outside to find a solution, if there is one. As we discussed before, if the organization can add another defenseman or two that would be a way to support our average goalies. 

Edited by JohnC

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is just my opinion: I think that next year our netminders will be Comrie and UPL with Levi waiting in the wings. My sense is that the organization is invested in Levi and that the hope is that Comrie and UPL can hold the fort until Levi is ready to make the jump. I really don't see KA going outside to find a solution. As we discussed before if the organization can add another defenseman or two that would be a way to support our average goalies. 

Bringing Comrie back would be a farce 

he hasn’t proven anything, in a decade (arguably proof enough)

when he DOES play, this season, his numbers are poor 

if we SERIOUSLY think we “don’t know what we have in him”, next season is assuredly, assuredly not the time to find out, likely to the detriment of our emerging core 

HELL no. Holding the rest of the roster hostage to “let’s give this beloved boy another chance” would be a massive red X against KA and I’m really quite on the bandwagon if you’ve been reading my content 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is just my opinion: I think that next year our netminders will be Comrie and UPL with Levi waiting in the wings. My sense is that the organization is invested in Levi and that the hope is that Comrie and UPL can hold the fort until Levi is ready to make the jump. I really don't see KA going outside to find a solution. As we discussed before if the organization can add another defenseman or two that would be a way to support our average goalies. 

Our goalies aren’t average! 

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

But someday they may be.

I think “hold the fort” is my biggest contention with @JohnCs post and considering it’s his stated opinion I’ll implore him to change it:

respectfully, “hold the fort” betrays a mindset that I believe is a misreading of our current state: we are well past “hold the fort” stage: our core is blossoming and will be in bloom (sans josh) next season: it’s time to *maximize the primes* of our key guys, while we still have cheap talent on ELC! Thompson, Skinner, Tuch, Dahlin - the time is now 

Holding the fort, biding time next season? 

mistake 

Huge mistake imo

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

if we SERIOUSLY think we “don’t know what we have in him”, next season is assuredly, assuredly not the time to find out, likely to the detriment of our emerging core 

HELL no. Holding the rest of the roster hostage to “let’s give this beloved boy another chance” would be a massive red X against KA and I’m really quite on the bandwagon if you’ve been reading my content 

I've been fully accepting of Comrie/UPL as the plan - mostly because I knew that's what Adams was committed to, but also partly because a month ago I had just watched UPL play well enough for 2 months to be a bridge, I still had some faith Comrie had it in him to do the same, and I have unreasonable faith in Levi lurking in the weeds.

That's becoming harder and harder to hang on to.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I've been fully accepting of Comrie/UPL as the plan - mostly because I knew that's what Adams was committed to, but also partly because a month ago I had just watched UPL play well enough for 2 months to be a bridge, I still had some faith Comrie had it in him to do the same, and I have unreasonable faith in Levi lurking in the weeds.

That's becoming harder and harder to hang on to.

It’s becoming not plausibly believable that a team with playoff aspirations could enter into a season via 2023-24 with the tenders we have in system currently 

Of course we COULD make it but it’s leaving a ton to chance that would seem a frivolous play based on how ready for prime time much of the rest looks 

That is to say, failing to address G if in any way it can be addressed would be a very poor value play. We can afford to pay what it takes. The opportunity cost lost is a much greater consideration than asset loss, here, could possibly be 

Edited by Thorny

Talbot has looked ok tonight. (Not facing much work. Early in the 3rd he's given up 2 goals on 18 shots.)  He's comig off a groin injury (2nd game back) but his movement isn't anything to write home about.  Not positive coming off injury that he's the right guy to bring in to make a 4 headed goalie monster.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s becoming not plausibly believable that a team with playoff aspirations could enter into a season via 2023-24 with the tenders we have in system currently 

Of course we COULD make it but it’s leaving a ton to chance that would seem a frivolous play based on how ready for prime time much of the rest looks 

That is to say, failing to address G if in any way it can be addressed would be a very poor value play. We can afford to pay what it takes. The opportunity cost lost is a much greater consideration than asset loss, here, could possibly be 

If i could trade for Thatcher Demko right now I would.

Adams won't, so our guys get 24 games to prove you wrong.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Talbot has looked ok tonight. (Not facing much work. Early in the 3rd he's given up 2 goals on 18 shots.)  He's comig off a groin injury (2nd game back) but his movement isn't anything to write home about.  Not positive coming off injury that he's the right guy to bring in to make a 4 headed goalie monster.

He's no Thatcher Demko

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If i could trade for Thatcher Demko right now I would.

Adams won't, so our guys get 24 games to prove you wrong.

He's no Thatcher Demko

He won’t? Or can’t? 

Are you supposing he won’t look for an addition this summer? 

If we made the playoffs this year with a couple sub 900 dudes and Legend Craig it wouldn’t change my evaluation that entering into next season with that GT set up would be an exceptionally frivolous play

If Levi comes in and is immediately good, to end the year, I might chose to be a biased fan and believe in the magic. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He won’t? Or can’t? 

Are you supposing he won’t look for an addition this summer? 

If we made the playoffs this year with a couple sub 900 dudes and Legend Craig it wouldn’t change my evaluation that entering into next season with that GT set up would be an exceptionally frivolous play

If Levi comes in and is immediately good, to end the year, I might chose to be a biased fan and believe in the magic. 

Adams sticks pretty firmly to his path and believes in his people.

If I'm not 100 % in agreement with you yet, I doubt he is.

I suspect he won't make up his mind by Friday and if he doesn't,he wont until after the season is over.

So what happens between now and then matters.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams sticks pretty firmly to his path and believes in his people.

If I'm not 100 % in agreement with you yet, I doubt he is.

I suspect he won't make up his mind by Friday and if he doesn't,he wont until after the season is over.

So what happens between now and then matters.

I get that but I did say sub 900. If UPL goes on a statistics-altering run, that can assuredly be a mind-changing run, too 

If all we see is more of the same, instead, I’d be surprised if KA had a different conclusion than me

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I'm stating what I believe this organization's stance is toward our goalie situation. I have listened to KA on numerous occasions. He's not at all fuzzy about his approach/philosophy in how he is going to handle his job. It's going to be mostly a build from the inside approach. If you could tell me who you believe that KA will target as a goalie, I would be open to suggestions. 

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm stating what I believe this organization's stance is toward our goalie situation. I have listened to KA on numerous occasions. He's not at all fuzzy about his approach/philosophy in how he is going to handle his job. It's going to be mostly a build from the inside approach. If you could tell me who you believe that KA will target as a goalie, I would be open to suggestions. 

No I actually don’t have any specific names in mind right now tbh

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Our goalies are what we currently have on this roster.

Bold stance but, I agree 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.