Tuch on injured Reserve

Norcal

This is tricky. We don't really have another player who plays like Tuch in terms of style so no matter who you insert the line dynamic changes. 

I suppose you could try VO and tell Skinner to go to the net more. Pity Kyle can't keep up that pace or I'd maybe try him up there for a bit. It's difficult. Might need to shorten the bench and double shift some people here and there. 

Nashville's apparently open for business and almost everybody except Josi Saros and Forsberg are up for trade(s). Personally, I'd call about Tanner Jeannot. In any event it might be a good time for KA to make a move and bring in a body that can fit. Even if it's short term. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

One additional thought. maybe load up and put Cozens in Tuch's spot, and move Krebs into the 2nd line center spot. 

Would give them their strongest top line possible out of what remains.  But that makes a mess of at least 1, if not 2, lines in the middle.

• Agree 1

Honestly I don't think it will be just 1 week...he was injured blocking a shot. Its either a bruise or a fracture, and I don't think he'd be on IR if it was just a bone bruise. 

Ryan O'Reilly fractured his foot blocking a shot this year, and didn't return to practice for 5 weeks. Some others have come back in 2 weeks if its hairline. 

I prefer to think of this as an opportunity to give another player top line minutes.  I think will be Quinn but if the Sabres need a goal late they'll put Cozens in Tuch's spot.  It will help develop other players and force them to play a level higher than their comfort zone.  Then when Tuch comes back it'll be like adding another (very good) piece.  Donny needs to stress to these guys that losing one player doesn't mean they're out of the playoffs.  If they can continue winning without Tuch and then get Tuch back it will be like turbocharging the roster heading into the playoffs.

I hate to see Tuch hurt as much as anyone else on this forum, but the team needs to treat this as an opportunity to step up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m convinced this is just high level chess-playing by GMKA to get Saros so Buffalo can be the first team in history to carry four goalies into the playoffs. 

GMKA moved Tuch to IR because he has a simple bruise. They’ll call up Hinostroza until just after the Bruins game when he’ll get sent back down. That opens the door for Saros to be added to the roster via trade. Trade is completed. The following day, Tuch’s 7 day IR period is up and he rejoins the team. Active roster count no longer matters.

Buffalo becomes the first team to win a playoff series with four different goalies posting a win. Of course it’s against Toronto.

I’m not in denial. You’re in denial.

😞

Thinking about it more I think Quinn should get the first shot on L1. He’s got great hockey sense too so he should have as good a shot as anyone at identifying how to best replace what Tuch was bringing. Not sure who plays with Krebs and Casey. Whoever the call up is I guess. Other 2 lines can stay in tact. 

Also, we’d undoubtedly truly appreciate the “safety net” feeling having a reliable goalie back there would provide under circumstances like this when you know you’ll be a bit shorthanded up front. Goalie is the one position that at its best can mask over all the other issues 

Skinner - Thompson - Quinn

Peterka - Cozens - Olofsson 

Girgensons - Jost - Okposo

Mittelstadt - Krebs - Hinostroza

.. looks fine tbh

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, wiselyman3 said:

Honestly I don't think it will be just 1 week...he was injured blocking a shot. Its either a bruise or a fracture, and I don't think he'd be on IR if it was just a bone bruise. 

Ryan O'Reilly fractured his foot blocking a shot this year, and didn't return to practice for 5 weeks. Some others have come back in 2 weeks if its hairline. 

Asplund doesn't replace any offense and with Tuch being out they'll most likely want to replace him with a player that at least isn't lost on the other side of the red line.  Hinostroza is way better at forechecking and helping to generate offense than Rasmus is.

They couldn't call up any Amerk without making a move.  (Somebody to IR or somebody to Ra-cha-cha.)  

You might be right, he might be out longer than a week.  (Hope not, obviously.)  But with him missing a game or 2, it makes sense to IR him and have a better chance of gaining 4 points before going to Beantown without Tuch on Thursday with the likely loss than to hope Alex is ready by Thursday and he can play in the likely loss in Beantown but only heading there with 2 points.

3 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Could this be an opportunity for a call up? If so, who and what would lines look like?

Yes, definitely.  

Dollars to donuts says it's Hinostroza called up.

Lines?  Hoping Quinn goes to top line and Hinostroza takes his place on Krebs line.  But Granato has a lot of options for how to backfill Tuch's slot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Would give them their strongest top line possible out of what remains.  But that makes a mess of at least 1, if not 2, lines in the middle.

It does, but I was thinking extra minutes for the top line and more or less 3 lines for most of game(s) instead of 4. We aren't that deep and have to go with out strengths. I'm just afraid sticking a Vinnie or somebody in his spot makes that line too weak and it'll be too easy for the opposition to shut down Tage.  Also, Krebs has been impressive lately so it might not be as much of a mess as you think. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It does, but I was thinking extra minutes for the top line and more or less 3 lines for most of game(s) instead of 3. We aren't that deep and have to go with out strengths. I'm just afraid sticking a Vinnie or somebody in his spot makes that line too weak and it'll be too easy for the opposition to shut down Tage.  Also, Krebs has been impressive lately so it might not be as much of a mess as you think. 

2C is generally a more important position than 1RW. Big part of the advantage of having an elite C is that they can elevate their wings. When you have 3 very good players you get top of the league lines like Skinner/Tage/Tuch but even sans Tuch it should be ok. I wouldn’t want to take our CLEAR second best centre out of his spot when we can maximize what we can get from him on his own line.

Load the 2 up together down a goal late. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

2C is generally a more important position than 1RW. Big part of the advantage of having an elite C is that they can elevate their wings. When you have 3 very good players you get top of the league lines like Skinner/Tage/Tuch but even sans Tuch it should be ok. I wouldn’t want to take our CLEAR second best centre out of his spot when we can maximize what we can get from him on his own line.

Load the 2 up together down a goal late. 

We're going to have to disagree on this. I just don't see a guy like Vinnie able to keep that line at a dominant level like it's been playing. Without that top line performing our chances are slim. I'd rather we tried a rookie up there than Hinostroza. 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

We're going to have to disagree on this. I just don't see a guy like Vinnie able to keep that line at a dominant level like it's been playing. Without that top line performing our chances are slim. I'd rather we tried a rookie up there than Hinostroza. 

You were advocating for Cozens, no? Im not playing Hinostroza up top either, but I wouldn’t put it past Quinn to be able to chameleon there for a time 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

You were advocating for Cozens, no? Im not playing Hinostoza up top either, but I wouldn’t put it past Quinn to be able to chameleon there for a time 

Not advocating, but it was just a possible idea. I'm not even saying all game. I'm suggesting shortening the bench over playing a scrub. 

Maybe Quinn but I think I'd try VO first and tell Skinner to go to the net more Tuch style. Asplund filling in on the bottom end. 

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

IMO Tuch is pretty clearly our 3rd most important player.

Hope it’s short-term.

Personally, I’d pop KO into his spot.

No way. KO can not at all keep up with the other two. He would stifle that line.

• Agree 1

When Skinner was out, Thompson wanted Mitts up and it sparked Mitts to a better level of play. 

Nobody in the current lineup can replace what Tuch does so it'll be interesting to see who Meatballs picks. 

I'd like to see a few guys get chances personally.

I could see JJ hitting TNT with a seam passes, Quinn would be pumped to be there and he'd stand to benefit from the playmaking the most imo, Mitts had some success last time.

Anyone but Olofsson please. 

Edited by Norcal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

What hurts more than losing Tuch's production is not having his leadership.  Its like losing Poyer,Hyde,Diggs or Allen.

Actually I don't think this is a problem. He's pretty quiet on the ice and during the games. Singularly focused I think. If he's vocal off ice and in the locker room he still can be. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.