GDT: Leafs @ Sabres, Feb 21, 2023, 7:30 pm; ESPN

Derrico

I know Devon Levi is our savior in net. But that can take some time, even when he arrives it might take 2 years or so for Devon to realize his immense potential.

We need solutions in net and NOW.

Why not Thatcher Demko?  3 more years at 5M AAV after this season.

We have the cap room, Demko can handle a big load of starts, and by the time his contract is towards the end, Levi will be ready to take the reigns.

Let's get Demko and Luke Schenn.

32 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Well, after another home stinker.... This team is what it is... a slightly better team then it was last year, with some glaring problems that we have always had. No push, no guts, no real defensemen to play defense (Muel cannot do it on his own), and no forwards with balls to get into the dirty area. We can score a bit better, but the kids are nothing but kids still. A couple of years away from maturing. No playoffs for us, as we are about to get our collective ***** handed to us in the next few weeks. We are kinda like the Bills last year....we won games but the glaring problems were there for the whole world to see but ignored by the fans. Granato did as promised. Put an entertaining team on the ice. They are inconsistent and very young with missing pieces. 

Sorry Mattias Samuelsson had the worst play I’ve ever seen by a dman last night.  He slid on his ballsack from blue line to blue line with the puck under him leading immediately to an odd man rush the other way.  He just stayed down until he finished sliding. Like a little kid playing outside.  No cares in the world. Weeeeee!!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I agree. But realistically they got absolutely torched by good teams the past month. Wins against SJ and Anaheim are illusions. The gap they have to cross to being a playoff team is further than we think. Proven by not being competitive against playoff teams. Long ways to go. 

The wins against Ana and SJ aren’t illusions, they are borders.  We are definitely above those teams. Toronto is the other border.  We are definitely underneath Toronto.  

This is a middle 3rd of the league team.  Almost certainly shading towards median or a touch below.  The question is, what changes need to be made to push it towards the upper 3rd?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I know Devon Levi is our savior in net. But that can take some time, even when he arrives it might take 2 years or so for Devon to realize his immense potential.

We have the cap room, Demko can handle a big load of starts, and by the time his contract is towards the end, Levi will be ready to take the reigns.

This organization doesn’t feel like this at all.  Better get used to what you are seeing. 

8 minutes ago, Skibum said:

The Sabres still look like little kids when up against cagey veterans on winning teams. I suppose they can yet earn a playoff spot, but they are going to get annihilated in round 1. 

Wouldn't you rather make the playoffs and get annihilated in round 1 so we can see what this needs to compete in the playoffs? Why wait until next year to see the same thing happen. Who knows, maybe this team possibly shows us something we did not know was there if they make it. I really think they should do whatever it takes to get them in the dance this year so the offseason moves can be targeted more precisely. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We have lot of players that are the same.  Big changes will happen at some point but Adams is still looking at what he has.  

Peobably should happen during the summer, when one doesn't overpay.

Obviously, the team has an issue with players getting back on D.  No one escapes that need for improvement. Team still took a step forward and another step needed. 

1 minute ago, CallawaySabres said:

Wouldn't you rather make the playoffs and get annihilated in round 1 so we can see what this needs to compete in the playoffs? Why wait until next year to see the same thing happen. Who knows, maybe this team possibly shows us something we did not know was there if they make it. I really think they should do whatever it takes to get them in the dance this year so the offseason moves can be targeted more precisely. 

Well they aren’t going to do anything, so don’t get your hopes up?

13 minutes ago, Skibum said:

The Sabres still look like little kids when up against cagey veterans on winning teams. I suppose they can yet earn a playoff spot, but they are going to get annihilated in round 1. 

if this team makes the playoffs that will mean they played very well leading up to the playoffs . We'd be excited and optimistic

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Night Train said:

Obviously, the team has an issue with players getting back on D.  No one escapes that need for improvement. Team still took a step forward and another step needed. 

Nothing is happening with the roster this season.  It’ll be in the summer as you said, just not the summer you thought it would. 

1 minute ago, Night Train said:

This team never overpays for anything. Maybe they should once in a while. It won't kill them

I'm going to post my thoughts and then leave for the day. Honestly I get sick and tired of the team stromcloud posters who we don't hear from during the wins but come in with the same tired and incorrect takes after a loss. Fun fact, we outhit Toronto last night and outshot them in the end. But hey, yea it's all physicality for why we lost... what a myopic and simplistic take. 

The Good: there is not a lot but it was nice to see Alex Tuch and Rasmus Dahlin start laying the physical play on after going down 4-0 but you gotta do when it is 0-0. I thought both tried to elevate their games after the slow start. I think physicality does matter and the Sabres were overwhelmed at times by Toronto's but it wasn't because they don't have a big strong physical team, it was because they came out with less intensity... welcome to the stretch run where every game matters. 

Jack Quinn might be the smartest forward we have and the game is slowing for him. There were several times last night where he simply made plays or passes that I don't think anyone else on this team would. He needs another 15lbs of muscle but there is a lot to like in his game and it keeps improving. 

Craig Anderson came in and other than the PP goal, shut everything down and provided a calming presence. Good. 

The Bad: this team was not ready to play. Now I know many say that is coaching but I disagree. When they finally were ready to play they played exceedingly well but they showed again last night that haven't come to grips with the level they will need to sustain to make the playoffs. 

The coaches need to reinvent their pp and pk because right now it is trash. They also contributed to the loss because quite honestly they aren't getting the message through that this is the stretch run, win and you are in. Lose and it is just like every other year. Also I am tossing Adams into this hole too. Get some f###ing defensive help, trade Rosen, Bryson, whatever else for Jacob Chychrun or similar. 

UPL was bad. Marty Biron said it this morning on WGR that most teams start slow after a west coast swing and they need their goalie to help a bit. UPL didn't help at all and before his defenders jump on me, no every goal was not his fault but I gotta say the 4th goal and ROR's 2nd I would like a goalie to make a save, or even touch the puck. He didn't help last nice and deserved to be pulled. When does Levi get here? 

The bottom 6 last night sucked. They were very ineffective and I liked Okposo tossing some hits but there was a lot of them getting hemmed in their zone and making passes into traffic. 

The Ugly: the first period was total garbage and the team should be forced to show up early today to watch that again. Maybe the coaches can explain in detail why they sucked. Owen Power in the first was awful (he rebounded well though), Tyson Jost I disliked yesterday, and Jacob Bryson can go now. 

Jacob Bryson... Im done with him. Idc if he is liked in the room or any of that jazz, he doesn't have the strength, length, or ability to be an effective top 6 defender in the NHL. Multiple times last night the puck skipped by or through him and he wasn't fast enough or strong enough to recover it. Along the boards he is basically useless. There is this false belief around here that I think size doesn't matter at all, I don't. Bryson is too small for the type of defender he is to be successful in the NHL long term. We need someone on that 3rd pair that is bigger and hard to play against. 

ROR, they let him get a hat trick just like Jack Eichel and honestly, that pisses me off quite a bit. For a fanbase that was forced to suffer those two jack wagons, the team should have risen to the occasion better. 

Finally the home record. I heard we are 2-7 in our last 9 home games now. I would put that on the bulletin board and let the team know that every time a kid comes to a game they are more likely to watch a pathetic half hearted loss than a win. I should burn my kids first game certificate because I was a previous home loss of epic crapitude. The fans deserve better. 

They were not good but it wasn't simply because they didn't hit stuff, it was because they didn't hit stuff or play well. 

• Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm going to post my thoughts and then leave for the day. Honestly I get sick and tired of the team stromcloud posters who we don't hear from during the wins but come in with the same tired and incorrect takes after a loss. Fun fact, we outhit Toronto last night and outshot them in the end. But hey, yea it's all physicality for why we lost... what a myopic and simplistic take. 

The Good: there is not a lot but it was nice to see Alex Tuch and Rasmus Dahlin start laying the physical play on after going down 4-0 but you gotta do when it is 0-0. I thought both tried to elevate their games after the slow start. I think physicality does matter and the Sabres were overwhelmed at times by Toronto's but it wasn't because they don't have a big strong physical team, it was because they came out with less intensity... welcome to the stretch run where every game matters. 

Jack Quinn might be the smartest forward we have and the game is slowing for him. There were several times last night where he simply made plays or passes that I don't think anyone else on this team would. He needs another 15lbs of muscle but there is a lot to like in his game and it keeps improving. 

Craig Anderson came in and other than the PP goal, shut everything down and provided a calming presence. Good. 

The Bad: this team was not ready to play. Now I know many say that is coaching but I disagree. When they finally were ready to play they played exceedingly well but they showed again last night that haven't come to grips with the level they will need to sustain to make the playoffs. 

The coaches need to reinvent their pp and pk because right now it is trash. They also contributed to the loss because quite honestly they aren't getting the message through that this is the stretch run, win and you are in. Lose and it is just like every other year. Also I am tossing Adams into this hole too. Get some f###ing defensive help, trade Rosen, Bryson, whatever else for Jacob Chychrun or similar. 

UPL was bad. Marty Biron said it this morning on WGR that most teams start slow after a west coast swing and they need their goalie to help a bit. UPL didn't help at all and before his defenders jump on me, no every goal was not his fault but I gotta say the 4th goal and ROR's 2nd I would like a goalie to make a save, or even touch the puck. He didn't help last nice and deserved to be pulled. When does Levi get here? 

The bottom 6 last night sucked. They were very ineffective and I liked Okposo tossing some hits but there was a lot of them getting hemmed in their zone and making passes into traffic. 

The Ugly: the first period was total garbage and the team should be forced to show up early today to watch that again. Maybe the coaches can explain in detail why they sucked. Owen Power in the first was awful (he rebounded well though), Tyson Jost I disliked yesterday, and Jacob Bryson can go now. 

Jacob Bryson... Im done with him. Idc if he is liked in the room or any of that jazz, he doesn't have the strength, length, or ability to be an effective top 6 defender in the NHL. Multiple times last night the puck skipped by or through him and he wasn't fast enough or strong enough to recover it. Along the boards he is basically useless. There is this false belief around here that I think size doesn't matter at all, I don't. Bryson is too small for the type of defender he is to be successful in the NHL long term. We need someone on that 3rd pair that is bigger and hard to play against. 

ROR, they let him get a hat trick just like Jack Eichel and honestly, that pisses me off quite a bit. For a fanbase that was forced to suffer those two jack wagons, the team should have risen to the occasion better. 

Finally the home record. I heard we are 2-7 in our last 9 home games now. I would put that on the bulletin board and let the team know that every time a kid comes to a game they are more likely to watch a pathetic half hearted loss than a win. I should burn my kids first game certificate because I was a previous home loss of epic crapitude. The fans deserve better. 

They were not good but it wasn't simply because they didn't hit stuff, it was because they didn't hit stuff or play well. 

GREAT post and so much to unpack here.

The loss sucked but when you really look at it, it was not as bad as 5-0 was displaying. I did like the fight the team showed to make it 5-3. The horrid start happens from time to time over a 82 game season. We still have to realize we have a very young team and some holes on this roster that need to be fixed.

The good news about Bryson (and you are 100 percent dead on with your take) is that he can be easily replaced. No albatross contract to worry about, so I expect that to happen and soon.

I'm not trying to get the ROR stuff bother me but i HOPE it bothers the organization. I want them to use that as fuel in that 'enjoy it now while you can because that isn't happening again on our watch'

27 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Calm down this is a family page.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I have no hopes other than trying to watch meaningful hockey (within 4 points of 8th) for at least another couple weeks. The defense and goaltending is horrific.

I watch every game. I plan my stupid life around the games.  I’ll be watching but last night pushed me to the tank years level of despair.  My interest is teetering on the ledge.  Another garbage game may push me over. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, inkman said:

I watch every game. I plan my stupid life around the games.  I’ll be watching but last night pushed me to the tank years level of despair.  My interest is teetering on the ledge.  Another garbage game may push me over. 

Dude you aren’t leaving 

one of us 

45 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We win and you post nothing. We lose and you have the same take. So fun. 

It is the same problem with this team..... Not going to change... You can xerox that post and put it up most games. Pressure the team, they fold, not grit, no balls to defend or goto the front of the offensive net, etc etc etc. They have more young talent that fills 1 full line and 1 or 2 of a 2nd line. We do not have a strong defensive defenseman. (At least not one thats consistant). They are exciting to watch though. Patience on waiting for a ***** team to get better SHOULD NOT BE A BUFFALO THING!!!! We accept that though as that is our lot in life. Thursday i will goto my hockey room with my Sabres gear, snacks and hope to stay in for longer then 10 minutes into the first period. 

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

Stay with us man, there are better days ahead.

My evening was ruined by 8:00 PM. I am still p****d but I will drag myself to watch every game until the end. 

There will be highlights worth watching.

25 minutes ago, inkman said:

Definitely feel you.... Been a fan since day one and can never really root for another team. I complain, and ride the C ticket ride (For you oldies) that is the Sabres season. I have gotten to the point that i get excited only to shut the TV off and go do something else when the game is out of hand. I will still add pieces to my Sabres room, but patience of waiting on a team that is in a league where HALF the teams make the playoffs to make it is getting rougher and rougher. 

2 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Well I’m pretty sure the majority of my anger last night was due to watching this game with my kids. It was the first game in months where we were all fired up together to see some meaningful hockey in a huge game.

everybody was let down immediately, and with ror scoring 2 right off the bat, I mean, come on. We turned the game off 10 minutes in and it just really ruined something I was looking forward to. 

I should have expected it it and kind of did….but man, what is with this group at home. This was an opportune chance to really win many of the fans back, including my son, and they could not have fallen any flatter on their faces.

The home record is a problem.   I hear DG saying it is not unusual for young teams to lose at home - to me that means distractions. It is up to him to address them.  

Looking at the big picture, the veteran presence that Accari and ROR bring are going to separate Toronto from the lower pack teams in the Eastern Conference.  Our 3rd and 4th lines are centered by Krebs and Jost, at this time they are no comparison to what Toronto is putting out there.  

My nephew was there and estimated there were more Toronto fans there than Sabres fans.  They really got the road team fired up.  After the first period we played pretty good hockey but Toronto coasted to victory so it is hard to say.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:29 AM, inkman said:

Sorry Mattias Samuelsson had the worst play I’ve ever seen by a dman last night.  He slid on his ballsack from blue line to blue line with the puck under him leading immediately to an odd man rush the other way.  He just stayed down until he finished sliding. Like a little kid playing outside.  No cares in the world. Weeeeee!!! 

Muel gets a lot of love here, but he is still young and still a work in progress and his play is sometimes below average for a top 2 pairing.   He does a lot with his stick, but he is too often reluctant to play the body to separate the man from the puck - and that is what a stay at home top pair guy should do.  He needs to get better at that and be more of a physical force.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1

IMHO this team lacks mental toughness.  This is the shortcoming that has produced so many poor starts at home.

I thought they actually started out fairly well last night for the first few shifts, but after the Leafs' first goal, they panicked and fell apart, which has happened many times this year and which is also a result of the lack of mental toughness.  Not every team will stretch a 1-0 lead to a 4-0 lead during a Sabres panic but the Leafs will.

It's hard to watch, but it's not surprising for a team this young and inexperienced, and with this franchise's woeful recent history, to have this flaw.

Meatballs needs to figure out a way to get them to overcome it, and guys like Cozens, Tuch, KO and Dahlin have to figure out a way to keep themselves and their teammates calm during the storm.  Unfortunately, unless they figure it out pronto, they aren't going to make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.