GDT: Ducks @ Sabres, 1/21/2023, 12:30pm, MSG 📺 WGR📻

LGR4GM

Really hated that period.  We had a two goal lead and wasted it.  Too loose in our defensive zone.  Swatting at the puck, playing roller hockey defense with skating past the puck and not taking bodies.  

Playing to the level of their opponent once again.  

I expect a better 3rd period.   

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Pimlach said:

Really hated that period.  We had a two goal lead and wasted it.  Too loose in our defensive zone.  Swatting at the puck, playing roller hockey defense with skating past the puck and not taking bodies.  

Playing to the level of their opponent once again.  

I expect a better 3rd period.   

Giving up two goal leads to an inferior opponent is not a surprise in the least. We just did it four days ago. Inexcusable. Granato needs to channel his inner Lindy, but I don’t think he has it in him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

This team needs to get their collective heads out of their *****. So tired of playing down to our opponents. 

Our defense is not playing down to them. It's that we're defensively that bad.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Role Playing Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Dear Diary, 

I am feeling nervous at the prospect of watching this 3rd period. My emotional state of mind is fragile at best. The playoffs are still a realistic goal, but games like this are needed in the win column. Thank you diary for listening and being a true friend.

Yours truly,

Stads

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Giving up two goal leads to an inferior opponent is not a surprise in the least. We just did it four days ago. Inexcusable. Granato needs to channel his inner Lindy, but I don’t think he has it in him. 

It's a end result of them trying to constantly turn defensive zone plays into transition instead of playing safer with a two goal lead. Virtually all of the goals they give up when they have more than a 1 goal lead are due to being too aggressive offensively...

Kinda like why the Bills Dolphins game last week was so close. Constant aggression on offense is great when it works but leads to defensive turnovers and odd man rushes against when it doesn't.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Sabres making one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL look competent.

My point.  I just don’t like the way they play in our zone.  

Not enough effort.  I call it roller hockey defense, you can take a body in ice hockey.  

Ducks have one line. We have the final change.  We ought to have a checking line to shut them down.  

Just now, Stads said:

Dear Diary, 

I am feeling nervous at the prospect of watching this 3rd period. My emotional state of mind is fragile at best. The playoffs are still a realistic goal, but games like this are needed in the win column. Thank you diary for listening and being a true friend.

Yours truly,

Stads

My father had a friend who had a heart attack watching pro wrestling. The Sabres are making this game hard on me, this should have been a lot less stressful so far.

Just now, Pimlach said:

My point.  I just don’t like the way they play in our zone.  

Not enough effort.  I call it roller hockey defense, you can take a body in ice hockey.  

Ducks have one line. We have the final change.  We ought to have a checking line to shut them down.  

It's because they are too focused on trying to turn it into transition...they never turn that off when they have the lead and it leads to mistakes and turnovers.

They need to have a code word or something that Donny uses when they need to simply make the smart plays...

And that does NOT mean turning it into Defend the Alamo defense.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.