OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Dude,… so bad!!!

I just want to ski, these resorts are gonna have a hard time keeping prices down (and they're already inflated) I can't remember 2 consecutive winters as poor for overall snow coverage and warm temps. 

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I just want to ski, these resorts are gonna have a hard time keeping prices down (and they're already inflated) I can't remember 2 consecutive winters as poor for overall snow coverage and warm temps. 

It sucks. Heading up to Vermont in March. Not sure what the conditions up there are like now, but really hoping it will be good then.

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It sucks. Heading up to Vermont in March. Not sure what the conditions up there are like now, but really hoping it will be good then.

I skiied up in Quebec last week, it was decent, but the locals said that the slopes just opened and that was crazy for them.

Ive heard that J peak and Killington have snow but it's been super rainy 

On 2/4/2024 at 8:01 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Still snowing here ...

On 2/4/2024 at 10:38 AM, PASabreFan said:

Green with envy. Elected to not use the vomit emojithing, which has green it, to avoid giving the wrong impression.

Me too.

On 2/3/2024 at 7:31 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

We are going to be getting some snow in WNY early next week...not huge amounts but likely 6-12", potentially more, still too early to say with certainty.

On 1/23/2024 at 7:54 AM, JohnC said:

What choice does the customer have regarding the inflated bills due to an outdated system? They signed the agreement because there was no other choice.

On 1/23/2024 at 12:48 PM, JohnC said:

The issue I am bringing up doesn't deal with the variety of companies that draw their electricity from the Texas grid.

But for most of us, the bills are not, in fact, inflated, because of an outdated system or any other reason.  Texans pays 25% less per kilowatt hour than the national average.  The issue you brought up was about how much Texans pay, and that has everything to do with the "variety of companies that draw their electricity from the Texas grid."

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

But for most of us, the bills are not, in fact, inflated, because of an outdated system or any other reason.  Texans pays 25% less per kilowatt hour than the national average.  The issue you brought up was about how much Texans pay, and that has everything to do with the "variety of companies that draw their electricity from the Texas grid."

What part of Texas do you live in?  

38 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The issue I was focusing on was the grid that serves Texas is not part of the national grid. So when something damages the grid, such as a storm etc., it doesn't have the ability to have electricity rerouted to them from another grid, at least on a temporary basis until their grid is repaired. It is during that period when the costs go exponentially higher because of the normal supply is out of service. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hank said:

What part of Texas do you live in?  

Fort Worth. 

People in the state, on average, pays less than the average person in the U.S.  I went back to find the exact article I quoted earlier, but found that the consumer price for a kilowatt hour compared to the national average, according to several different sources ranges from about 10% to 25% less.  It appears to be increasing relative to the national average, but in my eyes that's a good thing; since the Big Freeze of 2021, there has been investment in electrical infrastructure and I don't mind paying more if it reduces outages in extreme conditions.

Edited by Doohickie

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

The issue I was focusing on was the grid that serves Texas is not part of the national grid. So when something damages the grid, such as a storm etc., it doesn't have the ability to have electricity rerouted to them from another grid, at least on a temporary basis until their grid is repaired. It is during that period when the costs go exponentially higher because of the normal supply is out of service. 

I get what issue you're think you're trying to discuss, but you said, and I quote, "What choice does the customer have regarding the inflated bills due to an outdated system?"  This question is wrong on two counts:  Customers do have choice on how much they pay with the myriad companies and plans available, and bills are not inflated due to an outdated system.

I know that's not the point you were trying to make, but I am simply responding to the words you wrote.

Edited by Doohickie

25 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Fort Worth. 

People in the state, on average, pays less than the average person in the U.S.  I went back to find the exact article I quoted earlier, but found that the consumer price for a kilowatt hour compared to the national average, according to several different sources ranges from about 10% to 25% less.  It appears to be increasing relative to the national average, but in my eyes that's a good thing; since the Big Freeze of 2021, there has been investment in electrical infrastructure and I don't mind paying more if it reduces outages in extreme conditions.

My wife and I bought one of our Irish Setters from a breeder in Fort worth in 2019. We spent a week there, seemed like a nice place to live. 

7 minutes ago, Hank said:

My wife and I bought one of our Irish Setters from a breeder in Fort worth in 2019. We spent a week there, seemed like a nice place to live. 

It's a big city that's not a big city.  (We'll be reaching a million in the next near or two.)

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Another Nor'Easter pounded NYC and now Boston, is heading our way this afternoon, tonight and early tomorrow morning.  Should deliver strong winds and another foot of snow.

It's probably hitting @PromoTheRobot as I type this post.

That 8-12 inches will probably shut them down for a few days hahahaha

Edited by Big Guava
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Another Nor'Easter pounded NYC and now Boston, is heading our way this afternoon, tonight and early tomorrow morning.  Should deliver strong winds and another foot of snow.

It's probably hitting @PromoTheRobot as I type this post.

24 hours ago they were saying 6-10" in my part of NH. Today, not one flake. Apparently the system fell apart as it moved north. Which is fine by me.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

24 hours ago they were saying 6-10" in my part of NH. Today, not one flake. Apparently the system fell apart as it moved north. Which is fine by me.

We got over 30 CM (about a foot).  That is alot for us in one snowfall.  The winds made it worse.  We have drifts that are about 3 or 4 feet high.

That is why 16 year old sons of neighbours were invented - to shovel snow in the winter and garden soil / rocks in summer.

• 2 weeks later...

The Smokehouse Creek Fire northeast of Amarillo is now 1.3 Rhode Islands big, the largest fire in Texas history, and still only 3% contained.

From the Flower Mound Fire Department (Flower Mound is a suburb in the DFW area who sent a crew to fight the fire):

At one point, the crew was assigned to check a neighborhood near Canadian, TX. Numerous homes in the neighborhood were already on fire and the crew was making sure people had evacuated. At one home, an elderly resident was located who wasn’t able to leave on her own and the front and rear of the house were already on fire. [Firefighter] Roberson brought the resident out of the house while [Battalion Commander] Woody and FF Weems knocked down enough fire to create a safe exit. The resident was safely evacuated, but unfortunately her home was lost to the fire.