Sabres Lines 11/7

Brawndo

Toward the end of the last game he was already trying some different combinations.  I think maybe he wants all the forwards to be able to mix and match to the greatest extent possible but I expect for the most part the lines will remain fairly static.  But if you don't practice with other combinations how can you build any timing/chemistry?

I’m not really surprised to see Mitts tried on the wing and Krebs given a shot at center.  It may be the highest and best use of both players.  

Krebs was a key piece of Eichel deal.  He has had some good moments as a Sabres, but overall nothing to write home about.  They want to give him every chance to succeed, but with so much talent pushing from below, he probably has only this season and maybe next to prove he belongs. I can easily see him being used as a trade assets to secure more D depth.  The greatest thing he has going for him is that he might be the purest playmaker on the team.  

Much of the above can be said about Mitts as well.  While his scoring might not be where many here want it he is on pace for a 50+ pt season.  He has also made strides in the faceoff circle and in his defensive play to where DG trusts him both on the PK and end of game situations. 

That said, I can also see him being traded for a good defenseman, especially if Quinn and JJP continue to blossom.  We can’t keep everyone.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's definitely mixing it up in terms of lines. Mitts going to take the draws for Tage? idk, seems like a lack of identity but we shall see how they fit I guess. 

This is an off-day skate.  I think this might be more of a What If drill than anything Donny plans to trot out, but we'll see.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m not really surprised to see Mitts tried on the wing and Krebs given a shot at center.  It may be the highest and best use of both players.  

Krebs was a key piece of Eichel deal.  He has had some good moments as a Sabres, but overall nothing to write home about.  They want to give him every chance to succeed, but with so much talent pushing from below, he probably has only this season and maybe next to prove he belongs. I can easily see him being used as a trade assets to secure more D depth.  The greatest thing he has going for him is that he might be the purest playmaker on the team.  

Much of the above can be said about Mitts as well.  While his scoring might not be where many here want it he is on pace for a 50+ pt season.  He has also made strides in the faceoff circle and in his defensive play to where DG trusts him both on the PK and end of game situations. 

That said, I can also see him being traded for a good defenseman, especially if Quinn and JJP continue to blossom.  We can’t keep everyone.

I like Krebs but he’s gotta stop trying crap that worked in juniors.  NHL players are too big fast and smart for his 80 foot middling passes through 3 opposing players nonsense.  Maybe he figures it out but my hope is fading.  Mittlestadt, I also had started to come around on but he’s still making boneheaded plays.  Mind you, Skinner does that same crap but at least he’ll pot you 30.  

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Sabres just went from 2nd to 6th place in the division over the last few days with the 2 losses...

No one predicted they’d win the division.  I still think that holds true. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I like Krebs but he’s gotta stop trying crap that worked in juniors.  NHL players are too big fast and smart for his 80 foot middling passes through 3 opposing players nonsense.  Maybe he figures it out but my hope is fading.  Mittlestadt, I also had started to come around on but he’s still making boneheaded plays.  Mind you, Skinner does that same crap but at least he’ll pot you 30.  

I’m with you on Krebs and said pretty much the same thing in the last GDT. I’ve convinced myself it is an experience issue currently. What I like about him, even though those passes are ill advised, is that he sees plays that can be made and attempts to do so. I think the bigger issue in the future will be his line mates who will need to appreciate that and be ready at all times. 

Edited by K-9
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Digger said:

Would also like to see Hinostroza back in for the next couple if we're keeping rotations in play.  He'll be fresh and makes a difference when he plays.

I think he could have been a difference maker in Tampa.  He had fresh legs when the rest of the team was on the second game of a back-to-back.  I'm actually surprised Donny didn't pull someone out of the lineup to put him in.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Sabres just went from 2nd to 6th place in the division over the last few days with the 2 losses...

Yep, and the "fading" Red Wings took our spot.  It's a horse race early and there are three teams with fewer points than the bottom wildcard team but higher points percentages (including the Sabres).  The reason they're out of a playoff spot is their recent losses, but also they have games in hand.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It is so early it really means nothing.  This team is not likely a playoff team yet anyways.

Yeah I know, it's pretty crazy how quickly things can change early in the year...

I see them as 87-90 points this year and nothing I've seen so far tells me there should be anything less...potential for more but it would be really disappointing if they got less.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah I know, it's pretty crazy how quickly things can change early in the year...

I see them as 87-90 points this year and nothing I've seen so far tells me there should be anything less...potential for more but it would be really disappointing if they got less.

They lose to two very strong teams while their D was decimated and we're already writing them off, eh?  I still think they make the playoffs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.