Don Granato and Kevyn Adams End of Season Press Conferences

Brawndo

So far, I would warn any fan that disregards what Adam says. I have yet to hear him say X, but then do the opposite thing Y.

With that said, people who are expecting big trades or high-end players coming in, I think Adams is telling you in no uncertain terms that you’re going to be disappointed.

I think everything single thing that will happen this summer has been foreshadowed in his press conference today. He will not look for short term gains, he will not rush players, he will not panic over goalies, he will resist the urge to do something because somebody wants him to do it.

Set your expectations to low, other than the minimum moves needed to reach the salary cap floor.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

So far, I would warn any fan that disregards what Adam says. I have yet to hear him say X, but then do the opposite thing Y.

With that said, people who are expecting big trades or high-end players coming in, I think Adams is telling you in no uncertain terms that you’re going to be disappointed.

I think everything single thing that will happen this summer has been foreshadowed in his press conference today. He will not look for short term gains, he will not rush players, he will not panic over goalies, he will resist the urge to do something because somebody wants him to do it.

Set your expectations to low, other than the minimum moves needed to reach the salary cap floor.

That's good for me. I am enjoying this team and seeing it grow, even if the pace is a little bit slower than a lot of people want, I really don't have any desire to see even mid-priced free agents who are 30 years old or older come in here.

Stabilize the goalie situation, bring in a free agent if and only if it's a short to medium term deal and it's someone your 100% sure will fit. I don't need more than that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Stabilize the goalie situation, bring in a free agent if and only if it's a short to medium term deal and it's someone your 100% sure will fit. I don't need more than that.

He literally said he's not nearly concerned with getting a RHD, as he is getting someone that fits with everything else they do, if they do.

• Like (+1) 1

Some good tidbits from GMKA today.  I felt he provided some nice insights with respect to the players and the future direction.  There was maybe only one question where I felt he failed to address the point....that being the condition and complaints about KeyBank center.  I think he gave a bit of a word salad instead of acknowledging there are deficiencies to address.

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

He literally said he's not nearly concerned with getting a RHD, as he is getting someone that fits with everything else they do, if they do.

He said previously that he wanted to acquire a partner for Power.  

I do agree with tempered expectations.  KA is nothing if not methodical.   He’ll spend to the floor and let the kids grow together.  However that plan won’t work with the goaltending.  He needs to make a firm step here. The Anderson band-aid isn’t adequate for next season and he must know this.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

He said previously that he wanted to acquire a partner for Power.  

I do agree with tempered expectations.  KA is nothing if not methodical.   He’ll spend to the floor and let the kids grow together.  However that plan won’t work with the goaltending.  He needs to make a firm step here. The Anderson band-aid isn’t adequate for next season and he must know this.

He thinks UPL is an in house answer. 

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Some good tidbits from GMKA today.  I felt he provided some nice insights with respect to the players and the future direction.  There was maybe only one question where I felt he failed to address the point....that being the condition and complaints about KeyBank center.  I think he gave a bit of a word salad instead of acknowledging there are deficiencies to address.

I don’t know… Is Adams in charge of a broken seat? It’s an odd question to ask in an end of season press conference if you ask me. I think he did the best he could with him saying that people who have specific facility complaints need to direct those complaints through the right channels.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

35 minutes ago, SDS said:

31 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

That's good for me. I am enjoying this team and seeing it grow, even if the pace is a little bit slower than a lot of people want, I really don't have any desire to see even mid-priced free agents who are 30 years old or older come in here.

I think it is interesting that a season that was the result of a teardown and from the outside could have easily turned into a step backward actually resulted in an improvement that flirted with the top 5 in Sabres history.

He has a plan that he believes in and this year his belief was validated. Therefore it is highly likely he will stick with it.

I am largely on board with that.

Separate, but connected, I really hope Craig Anderson packs it in. Because if he doesn't I am pretty positive we will enter next year with an Anderson/UPL tandem.

And i just don't think that's going to be good enough.

Neither was as good this year as Kevyn seems to think they were. And neither has given much reason for us to think they will be better next year.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

"Dylan wants to enforce his will on the guy (his opponent)"

Granato talked about how Dylan learned that this doesn't always mean going through the opposition and picking his spots a little better. Being more aware and improving his skill so he can do this. 

Who would have thought Matt Ellis would be a factor in this team turning it around. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Neither was as good this year as Kevyn seems to think they were. And neither has given much reason for us to think they will be better next year.

The other thing that he may be thinking is that there are a lot of teams looking for better goalies and there just may not be enough to go around. I certainly wouldn’t promise anything that you can’t deliver on.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t know… Is Adams in charge of a broken seat? It’s an odd question to ask in an end of season press conference if you ask me. I think he did the best he could with him saying that people who have specific facility complaints need to direct those complaints through the right channels.

I would disagree that it is an odd question.  Part of the fan experience is having a decent environment at the game.  Having ripped and broken chairs, broken bathrooms,  and other facility issues damage that experience.  KA may not be in charge of facility repairs, but as the face of the management of the team who says that the organization needs to win back the fanbase, facility repair is nice place to start now that the on ice product is improving. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I agree it is certainly not his main job for sure, maybe not even a little bit.  Maybe if he responded using literally using the last part of your statement above, that would have been a better and more concise answer (vs. the longer diatribe he went into)....then he say "next question" and move on.  

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I would disagree that it is an odd question.  Part of the fan experience is having a decent environment at the game.  Having ripped and broken chairs, broken bathrooms,  and other facility issues damage that experience.  KA may not be in charge of facility repairs, but as the face of the management of the team who says that the organization needs to win back the fanbase, facility repair is nice place to start now that the on ice product is improving. 

And what exactly would you like him to say? He’s been in meetings all season long about how to replace cupholders on the seats? Is there anything meaningful that you expected him to say beyond nodding his head and saying those things will be fixed without actually having any information about it?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

And what exactly would you like him to say? He’s been in meetings all season long about how to replace cupholders on the seats? Is there anything meaningful that you expected him to say beyond nodding his head and saying those things will be fixed without actually having any information about it?

How about something like senior management is aware of the issues and is working on a plan to address those issues this offseason.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about something like senior management is aware of the issues and is working on a plan to address those issues this offseason.

If it makes you feel better, I promise that all facility issues will be fixed by opening day of next year.

I mean… If we’re just looking to hear things from random people.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I think Adams believes UPL deserves a shot. 

No on is saying don’t give him a shot (ok except me, I want him back in Rochester with a better D and earn his way up). However there is no excuse for not having a good plan B this time.  

1 minute ago, SDS said:

If it makes you feel better, I promise that all facility issues will be fixed by opening day of next year.

I mean… If we’re just looking to hear things from random people.

I’d prefer saying it and then actually doing it.  A first class organization should extend to all aspects of the team and their fans.

• Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes and no. He noted he wants Anderson to return but the answer is up to him. UPL will be given his shot, but he's acknowledged multiple times there's going to be a veteran goalie with him, just not a goalie that's going to block prospects. I think his non-answer regarding Anderson was polite deference and we will likely hear about Anderson retiring this off-season. I expect GMKA to go sign a FA goalie to a one or two year deal because, as SDS said, he's pretty reliable on a does-what-he-says basis. I also think he's going to put the attitude of the goalie and his willingness to come to Buffalo ahead of any stat line and that may be why Sabres fans are disappointed.

It's why I'm hoping they bring in MAF, although I realize this is unlikely. He's a locker room guy who would take a 1-2 year deal and he's not going to sign somewhere he doesn't want to be. That's the kind of "veteran presence" I expect GMKA to be looking for.

While I agree that KA may not be the guy to ask about the condition of the arena, he is the only guys representing the franchise at the moment. They made a big deal about how arena improvements made at the beginning of the Pegula era were in part designed to lure players to “Hockey Heaven.” Numerous Bills players have referred to facilities as being part of what brought them to Buffalo. Having a world class arena falls under the scope of “wanting players who want to be here goes hand in hand with showing the players they are wanted and respected.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No on is saying don’t give him a shot (ok except me, I want him back in Rochester with a better D and earn his way up). However there is no excuse for not having a good plan B this time.  

This.^

Adams seems to have a good handle on what to look for in skaters & people in general.  Have yet to see anything that says he has a handle on how to fix goaltending in the present.

Expect there's a legit possibility that the GTing may be Anderson & UPL (and told people that was something he hinted at in his STH Q&A) which won't be good enough in all likelihood for next season.  Still hoping that's not the case.  Really would be perfectly fine w/ a legit #1 on a 2-3 year deal, Anderson backing him up, with UPL & either Tokarski or Subban in Ra-cha-cha, but doubt Toker would go for that.

Thing is, won't be nearly as ticked about it next year (but still will be bothered by it) as it's not likely being a mid-70's point team 1 more year will break the team.  No data on what sort of a number it would do on the fanbase.

At some point though, management has to give the kids the GTing that will give them a chance to win any given night.  Hoping management sees that.  Maybe the allure of "stocking the pipeline" 1 last time will just be too strong.  And getting a GT on a 2-3 year deal fixes so darn many issues (including reaching the cap floor w/out messing up the overall salary structure & not blocking a prospect).

48 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Not his job to fix the cup holders. The whole arena condition thing is overblown imo.