Update 2: Mike Bossy passes away from cancer

SDS

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I really don’t see how someone comes to that conclusion. If Elliot Friedman calls Kyle Okposo and Kyle says he is retiring at the end of the season and then Elliott immediately reports that on Twitter. How does that remotely relate to what you’re saying? 

Serious people use that platform all the time to alert people of current news.

You’re disregarding the thousands to millions of tweets from serious people that are true, to focus on the  relatively few that turn out to be false. 

That’s probably true. I’m most likely factoring the value of knowing this information earlier. I guess I really don’t care if I find out today, next Thursday, or September 6th if KO is retiring next season.

12 hours ago, SDS said:

It was actually a knee problem that started it. Read his letter to his younger self I posted earlier. He hurt his knee when he was younger and it never healed properly. He implied that overtime that led to his back problems.

The back and the hips are usually the first things that cause a hockey player to retire. Skating in an upright position directs the stress to the back and hips.

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

The back and the hips are usually the first things that cause a hockey player to retire. Skating in an upright position directs the stress to the back and hips.

to hear Mike tell it, it sounds like he was compensating for his knee injury in a small way that eventually led to his back issues.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, SDS said:

Mike’s letter to his 14 year old self. It’s absolutely an amazing read. 😢

That is a great article.  Highly recommended.

Here's a snippet I found interesting:

[When Bossy was 14,] Officials from the junior team in Laval, Quebec, are about to offer to move your family into a new house so you can play for them. Everything will seem perfect at first. Until now, your parents have been raising their 10 kids in a 4½-room apartment in Montreal. You’ve never even had a real bedroom. You’ve been sleeping on a cot at the end of a hallway, behind a little curtain.

7 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Oops

I know I’ve pushed back a lot on people wanting fighting for fighting sake. It’s probably no surprise that my favorite player of all time was the guy who won Lady Byng trophies, renounced ever fighting again in the NHL, and yet had the talent the score over 50 goals almost every year in the NHL. It formed my opinion that greatness flowed through skill and not fists.

Given his Lady Byng winner status, I didn’t know if you were taking a jab at his unwillingness to to fight. I’m glad it wasn’t. 

18 minutes ago, SDS said:

I know I’ve pushed back a lot on people wanting fighting for fighting sake. It’s probably no surprise that my favorite player of all time was the guy who won Lady Byng trophies, renounced ever fighting again in the NHL, and yet had the talent the score over 50 goals almost every year in the NHL. It formed my opinion that greatness flowed through skill and not fists.

Given his Lady Byng winner status, I didn’t know if you were taking a jab at his unwillingness to to fight. I’m glad it wasn’t. 

And yet, in his own letter to his younger self, he says that his decision to run Mel Bridgman in the finals was what set the tone to allow him to win four Stanley Cups.

Ironic, no? 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And yet, in his own letter to his younger self, he says that his decision to run Mel Bridgman in the finals was what set the tone to allow him to win four Stanley Cups.

Ironic, no? 

I checked youtube for this and didn't find it -- I'd love to see it if anyone has a link.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I checked youtube for this and didn't find it -- I'd love to see it if anyone has a link.

I will answer swamp later, but I started watching the whole game and got 12 minutes into it. I hadn’t seen it yet.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I will answer swamp later, but I started watching the whole game and got 12 minutes into it. I hadn’t seen it yet.

If it helps, he said they accidentally iced the puck while on a power play.

9 hours ago, SDS said:

I grew up a Habs fan watching them dominate in the 70s and 80s. That ended with the Isles dynasty and you could see them coming. Torrey built one hell of a team there.

Bossy is one of my favorite all time players and nobody could convince me that Ovi, Gretz, Hull, Lemieux, etc... are/were better goal scorers.

The mistake was because I was on my phone and I use a voice to text app. It doesn't always type what I say and I don't always proof it before I send it.

45 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I grew up a Habs fan watching them dominate in the 70s and 80s. That ended with the Isles dynasty and you could see them coming. Torrey built one hell of a team there.

Bossy is one of my favorite all time players and nobody could convince me that Ovi, Gretz, Hull, Lemieux, etc... are/were better goal scorers.

The mistake was because I was on my phone and I use a voice to text app. It doesn't always type what I say and I don't always proof it before I send it.

It’s all good. I do exactly the same thing and Apple messes up every fourth word I say. No worries.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Ducky said:

I also thought what SDS thought when reading your post. This post makes me happy.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.