Trade Deadline: Sabres do nothing

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, FogBat said:

That wasn’t directed at you.

I know.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Some of the best country music performances ever were on that programme.

Absolutely.

Plus, Roy Clark was just a bad ass mofo.

• Like (+1) 3

by Chris Ryndak @ChrisRyndak / Sabres.com

Anderson said he was open to a playoff run if one presented itself, specifically mentioning a return to South Florida where his wife and children currently reside. He also said he was happy in Buffalo.

"I think if something made sense, it would've been done," Anderson said. "But at the same time, I'm 50-50 on it, right? I would've been able to go home and potentially do something deep into the playoffs and be a part of something. " But also, I'm glad to be here as well, to be a part of this growth we have right now. So, I think the big thing is stay in the moment. We're here right now, we're here in the moment. This is the job."

It appears the biggest decision made during this trade deadline was that winning now matters. If it didn't, a late round pick (7th?) and letting Anderson play in the playoff's would have happened. This is a huge turn of events from the previous decade. KA really isn't actively tanking, they want to win out. They kept their hot goalie and locker room mojo flowing and decided draft position wasn't their top priority.

hallelujah GIF

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/21/2022 at 3:35 PM, dudacek said:

I think it was a minor fail that the Sabres did not move out any expiring contract save Hagg.

I think it was a major fail that the Sabres have been effectively below the cap floor the entire season and did not use any of that considerable asset to improve the team for this season or the future. 

Has anyone asked Terry how long we're going to be a cap floor team?  If we're on a cap floor budget, that's going to seriously restrict the type of deals we can do.  It's already going to take quite the effort to get to the cap floor next year, expect more acquiring of LTIR contracts.

Hell when's the last time Terry has said anything about the Sabres at all?

3 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Has anyone asked Terry how long we're going to be a cap floor team?  If we're on a cap floor budget, that's going to seriously restrict the type of deals we can do.  It's already going to take quite the effort to get to the cap floor next year, expect more acquiring of LTIR contracts.

Adams said that the Sabres are willing to make cap deals. Those rarely happen on deadline day. Wait and see what we do in the off-season.

12 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Does KORN radio have a streaming service?

Yes, they do. This proves it.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I did that several times on our recent trip to Arizona.  Passing through East Butthole, NM?  SALUTE!

New Mexico is probably one of the most depressing states I’ve ever driven through - especially with all of the things I’ve heard about it. I have no plans to go there again - not even to throw a pizza on a roof.

19 minutes ago, FogBat said:

Yes, they do. This proves it.

New Mexico is probably one of the most depressing states I’ve ever driven through - especially with all of the things I’ve heard about it. I have no plans to go there again - not even to throw a pizza on a roof.

NM wasn't as bad as west Texas.  Same desolate scrub as NM, but flat and full of crappy looking donkey pumps.  Ugh.

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

It's Kevyn's team now.  Yeah, he checks in with TPegs but I don't think Terry actively meddles anymore.  He's accepted KA's hegemony.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

NM wasn't as bad as west Texas.  Same desolate scrub as NM, but flat and full of crappy looking donkey pumps.  Ugh.

It's Kevyn's team now.  Yeah, he checks in with TPegs but I don't think Terry actively meddles anymore.  He's accepted KA's hegemony.

Link?

Going into the off season:  What do you think the odds are that the Sabres stand pat?  Yes there are free agents currently with the club that will likely be resigned (Pysyk, Hinostroza, possibly Anderson), but aside from those transactions, do you think Kevyn will do much?  If Anderson doesn't sign, the Sabres will need to pick up a goaltender.  They might do so anyway.

As far as position players though, I think he might stick with what he has.  If they play out the string and earn, say, 22-25 points in their last 19 games.  You have a lot of young players who are still improving, they've been mentored pretty well and the players and the primary mentors are still here.  The growth in standings points will come primarily from the growth of the raft of young players improving through experience.  Such growth is sustainable and fostered by additional talent coming up from Rochester.  It's not fast, like bringing in a 100-point scorer would be, but it's distributed up and down the lineup and as such will be less vulnerable to individual player slumps or injuries that if they have all their eggs in one Eichel.

I look at the D corps and people talk about who will be Power's partner.  I've put it out there that Bryson might be the guy.  He's just coming into his own in the NHL, and making him the "senior guy" in his pairing could stimulate even further growth in his game.  Even if he's not paired with Power, I'm not sure I want to lose a mobile, 2-way Dman like him. 

Same thing with Fitzgerald:  Maybe he's a 7-8 guy, but I think his ceiling is higher than that.  He and Muel are just hitting their NHL stride and I expect both to only improve.  Do we want move him to bring in an experienced tutor for Power that might only be here a year or two?

Kevyn Adams looks like he's playing the long game in terms of putting the team together.  I don't really expect him to take a shortcut to try to jumpstart this team; I expect him to invest in the youth.  I believe the children are the future.  I think KA does too.

On 3/21/2022 at 4:50 PM, dudacek said:

It’s bigger than the trade deadline. We left 16 million unspent under the cap.

Buffalo Sabres: Down the stretch last season, the Sabres scratched Cody Eakin and Colin Miller in favor of young guys. It looks like history will repeat. There wasn’t a market for the rentals, so the Sabres made no moves on deadline day. It would have benefitted them to do something — anything — but that’s impossible when teams don’t want what you’re selling. General manager Kevyn Adams tried to use his cap space and be a third-party broker in a deal, but the other two teams couldn’t finalize their trade. So, all in all, a boring day for Buffalo. — John Vogl, the Athletic.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

5 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Been there too. Nothing to write home about, unless you like seeing a few old Cadillacs with the front ends in the ground and the rear ends facing the sky.

5 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.