College Hockey Tournament info

GASabresIUFAN

23 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I don’t recall the Peterson details, but I’m still feeling that burn.  I wouldn’t take any chances and would bring him in now. 
The ECHL is an option too.  Plus UPL gets an injury a year, so that opens a door. 

Buffalo waited and he picked LA when he become UFA so lets not do that again 

• Like (+1) 2

Just some perspective on Petersen.  He was never as good as either Levi or Portillo are in college.

Petersen's (age 22) 3rd and final year at ND  40 gp, 23-12-5, 2.22  gaa and a .926 save % (His numbers were similar in the prior season).

Levi (20) so far 30 gp, 21-8-1, 1.47 gaa and a .954 save % in his 1st college season

Portillo (21) so far 38 gp, 28-9-1, 2.03 gaa and a .929 save % in his 1st season as a starter.  He played 7 games last season with a 4-1 record, 1.67 gaa and a .925 save %.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

But I think Petersen say the perceived risk of not getting any ice time. He saw Ulmark and UPL being in his way. And at that time, we really didn’t know what we had in either, but they both had a lot of promise. Of course, in hindsight, it was erroneous for him to think he wouldn’t get ice time. However, it worked out very well for him. Selfishly, I want both Portillo and Levi signed and we can sort it out later. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

But I think Petersen say the perceived risk of not getting any ice time. He saw Ulmark and UPL being in his way. And at that time, we really didn’t know what we had in either, but they both had a lot of promise. Of course, in hindsight, it was erroneous for him to think he wouldn’t get ice time. However, it worked out very well for him. Selfishly, I want both Portillo and Levi signed and we can sort it out later. 

@Porous Five Hole

This isn’t quite accurate.

Buffalo had Lehner and Ullmark ahead of Petersen.  Lehner as a youngish established NHL starter, and Ullmark as a young established AHL starter who was already getting a few NHL games.

So it wasn’t just unproven question mark guys ahead of Petersen when he made that decision.

UPL was drafted in June 2017 and Petersen signed with LA on July 1st, but I would think that he had already made up his mind prior to that.  Either way, Petersen would have been well ahead of UPL, who wouldn’t even come over to North America for a couple years afterward.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

@Porous Five Hole

This isn’t quite accurate.

Buffalo had Lehner and Ullmark ahead of Petersen.  Lehner as a youngish established NHL starter, and Ullmark as a young established AHL starter who was already getting a few NHL games.

So it wasn’t just unproven question mark guys ahead of Petersen when he made that decision.

UPL was drafted in June 2017 and Petersen signed with LA on July 1st, but I would think that he had already made up his mind prior to that.  Either way, Petersen would have been well ahead of UPL, who wouldn’t even come over to North America for a couple years afterward.

Correct. I knew there were 2 rather large stumbling blocks ahead of Petersen, which probably were reasons for him opting for free agency. However, I don’t think he ever came out and said this. As for UPL being drafted, jBott knew Petersen wasn’t signing before the draft. We probably wouldn’t have drafted him if Petersen signed. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just some perspective on Petersen.  He was never as good as either Levi or Portillo are in college.

Petersen's (age 22) 3rd and final year at ND  40 gp, 23-12-5, 2.22  gaa and a .926 save % (His numbers were similar in the prior season).

Levi (20) so far 30 gp, 21-8-1, 1.47 gaa and a .954 save % in his 1st college season

Portillo (21) so far 38 gp, 28-9-1, 2.03 gaa and a .929 save % in his 1st season as a starter.  He played 7 games last season with a 4-1 record, 1.67 gaa and a .925 save %.

And botterill and Murray basically ignored him

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not the question.  The question is whether he's better than what the Sabres have now, and the answer is yes.

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Not the question.  The question is whether he's better than what the Sabres have now, and the answer is yes.

Oh no question. The ghost of Jimmy Hoffa would be better, but it’s good to know how these prospects have at least as much upside as Petersen if not more.  The crap goaltending belongs to KA and he needs to fix it.  Now would be good.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Power looks either injured or severely fatigued.   Just not the same player he was earlier in the season.   

That said, he's a young kid who's played a ton of hockey over the past 10 months in various countries against various levels of competition.  

I wouldn't be surprised if he signs but doesn't play until the final week of the season after having a few weeks off.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Might have been a shift differential.

He was on the first unit and they scored the next time.

You have followed Power closer than most others. Does it seem that after the Olympics he is fatigued and playing with less energy? 

Just now, JohnC said:

You have followed Power closer than most others. Does it seem that after the Olympics he is fatigued and playing with less energy? 

I wouldn't say I've watched more than others but I would suspect he's dealing with something he picked up from the Olympics. 

He hasn't been the same player who started the season since returning to my eye test. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.