Who Should Be Power’s D Partner?

Flashsabre

I’m adding Tyler Myers if Vancouver still want to move him for cap reasons. 

He has been very solid and his style would compliment Power well. At his size he could mentor Power on how to use his size at the NHL level, he can still skate and is a legit top 4.

One thing to look at is that if you want Power to be a top 4 D man you can’t pair him with someone who is a third pairing guy. They won’t be able to handle the minutes. That is why Myers has leapfrogged some guys for me. He is getting $6 million for a couple more years, a salary the Sabres could actually welcome.

Not a partner post but more of a question about Power when he arrives.

The kid has played alot of hockey this season...

World Championship~A long run to Gold

World Juniors~Postponed till June 2022 after game one

Canadian Olympic Team~Several games in a pretty gritty tournament

NCAA season now extended into The Frozen Four 

That's alot of hockey and by the looks of his game right now it's taken a toll on the young man. 

I know everyone wants to see him in Sabres Blue and Gold as soon as possible (myself included) but I honestly wonder what will happen once he arrives.

@pi2000brought up a good point the other day that might prove prudent in the coming days or weeks. 

Once Power arrives and the Sabres have time to access him and really dig into how he's feeling physically and mentally, they may just give the kid some rest to heal up.

I'm really interested in how they handle his arrival and whether he will return to the World Juniors later this year.

Might be time to put the Maserati in the garage so to speak and pull it out next fall. 

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Not a partner post but more of a question about Power when he arrives.

The kid has played alot of hockey this season...

World Championship~A long run to Gold

World Juniors~Postponed till June 2022 after game one

Canadian Olympic Team~Several games in a pretty gritty tournament

NCAA season now extended into The Frozen Four 

That's alot of hockey and by the looks of his game right now it's taken a toll on the young man. 

I know everyone wants to see him in Sabres Blue and Gold as soon as possible (myself included) but I honestly wonder what will happen once he arrives.

@pi2000brought up a good point the other day that might prove prudent in the coming days or weeks. 

Once Power arrives and the Sabres have time to access him and really dig into how he's feeling physically and mentally, they may just give the kid some rest to heal up.

I'm really interested in how they handle his arrival and whether he will return to the World Juniors later this year.

Might be time to put the Maserati in the garage so to speak and pull it out next fall. 

How many games total has he played? He's about to enter the NHL and play 82 games, I hope he can handle the work load.

2 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

How many games total has he played? He's about to enter the NHL and play 82 games, I hope he can handle the work load.

1> He's not in the NHL right now.

2> He traveled around the world, not just across the US and Canada.

3> No matter how many games he's played its likely far more and against far better competition than he's ever faced so there is bound to be a learning curve both physically and mentally. 

4> There is Zero reason to burn him out this season.

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

1> He's not in the NHL right now.

2> He traveled around the world, not just across the US and Canada.

3> No matter how many games he's played its likely far more and against far better competition than he's ever faced so there is bound to be a learning curve both physically and mentally. 

4> There is Zero reason to burn him out this season.

Unless he's played in a ridiculous amount of games this year, getting early NHL ice time will be an excellent learning curve imo.

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Unless he's played in a ridiculous amount of games this year, getting early NHL ice time will be an excellent learning curve imo.

It was suggested by @pi2000that he could come in and acclimate for a few weeks if needed before drawing in. 

I think that makes sense IF he needs it like I suspect he does.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Yep.  He's got some good wheels though and I think his strengths may be a good complement to Power's.

I think they will find a veteran to pair with Power. It’s going to matter just as much who his partner is sitting on the bench as it is on the ice 

not that I don’t really like Bryson.  I could see him and Samuelsson making a really good bottom pair 

I guess I can just picture Kevyn deciding he still doesn't want to block the defensive talent coming in by bringing in another premier D man.  If we sign Pysyk and keep Anderson in some capacity (goalie or coach), they could cover that "on the bench" aspect.

But I can totally see the value in bringing in an actual "full time" mentor for Power.

• 5 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

From the article:

The team is “hoping” he will recover over the summer and be ready in time for camp, but until he can hit the ice again, every day that passes is “another wasted day,” the source said.

Head Coach Mike Yeo alluded to a “decision” on the horizon regarding [Ryan] Ellis’ injury situation earlier in the week. Asking around, it was one source’s “last understanding” that Ellis was contemplating surgery. But as has been the case the entire season, Ellis’ injury situation has been anything but certain.

I don't think I want anything to do with that.

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.