NHL Announces It Has Severed All Ties with The KHL

Brawndo

I don’t think that this severing of ties between NHL and KHL will have an affect on whether or not Sabres Russian prospects are able to come over to NHL.  NHL and KHL never had a player movement agreement, so none of them were coming over before the ends of their KHL contracts anyway.

What will have an affect is whether Russia allows its citizens to come and go freely from the country.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

NHL and KHL never had a player movement agreement

Are you sure about this?  I thought there was a compensation agreement in place for KHL players coming here, but not necessarily vice-versa.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This should have been done day 1 of the invasion.

This is called "letting perfect get in the way of good" and it encourages, rather than discourages, hesitancy.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What are the odds now on whether any of Poltapov, Kisakov or Novikov every play for the Sabres?

If they are good enough I'd still say very good odds they make it here.

This "war" is only a couple weeks old. A lot can happen in the next few weeks, or months.  Wars can be won or lost, governments can change their positions, things can be ironed out in treaties....even whole governments can change.  Those guys may not have even been contributors to the big club for 2-3 years or more. Things are likely to be a lot different then than they have been for the last 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

I find it annoying that the NHL would honour existing KHL contracts. If I'm the NHL, any agreement to keep players in Russia would be tossed.

So, if a Lawrence Pilut wanted to walk away from his KHL team and get out of the evil empire tomorrow, he'd be free to do so.

What they've done here is just window dressing and does not have any real impact.

18 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I find it annoying that the NHL would honour existing KHL contracts. If I'm the NHL, any agreement to keep players in Russia would be tossed.

So, if a Lawrence Pilut wanted to walk away from his KHL team and get out of the evil empire tomorrow, he'd be free to do so.

What they've done here is just window dressing and does not have any real impact.

The NHL is not the US government and the KHL is not Vladimir Putin.

First bold- what would be your legal standing to do so?

Second bold- That is basically correct.  Practically, it’s just that the NHL will no longer be communicating with the KHL to get player contract details and stuff like that.

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

The NHL is not the US government and the KHL is not Vladimir Putin.

First bold- what would be your legal standing to do so?

Second bold- That is basically correct.  Practically, it’s just that the NHL will no longer be communicating with the KHL to get player contract details and stuff like that.

Legal standing? You just do it.

What can the KHL do if a player walks away? Nothing. We've got businesses walking away from Russia all over the place. NHL should join suit.

The previous agreements are simply niceties that guarantee cooperation between the two leagues, so we don't get players leaving back and forth willy nilly. Sure, the NHL may also lose a player or two, but I'm guessing that in the current climate, players won't be lining up to play in Putin's league.

42 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Legal standing? You just do it.

What can the KHL do if a player walks away? Nothing. We've got businesses walking away from Russia all over the place. NHL should join suit.

The previous agreements are simply niceties that guarantee cooperation between the two leagues, so we don't get players leaving back and forth willy nilly. Sure, the NHL may also lose a player or two, but I'm guessing that in the current climate, players won't be lining up to play in Putin's league.

Yeah, I guess.  I wouldn’t have a real problem with it if they did decide not to honor KHL contracts any longer.

I’m not so sure that it makes much difference one way or another though.  Players are probably going to be hesitant to screw over their KHL teams and risk mob type retaliation against themselves or their families.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.