Dylan Cozens Fined for Crosschecking

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, NAF said:

Nice to see the Sabres making the dirty plays instead of taking them. I would love to see more of this, but I doubt Cozens' bank account would as well.

6 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

I wonder what Brock did to prompt that response

6 hours ago, NAF said:

Looks like Nelson caught Cozens in the groin a bit.

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Would tick me off, some players like to do groin hits and they always get away with it  Marchand/Crosby.

5 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Dylan is not a man to be messed with, and his willingness to drop the gloves to come to the aid of a wronged teammate shows the Sabre's are becoming a team you don't want to mess with.  

I love the type of hockey where people don't just talk, but actually do SOMETHING about it.  This is exactly the type of guy I want wearing the A on his jersey 2-3 years from now. 

5 hours ago, MattPie said:

I like Cozens and all, but that was some cheap-#$%% stuff right there. People here'd be calling for someones head if I Sabre was coasting to bench and got crosschecked from behind into the boards.

5 hours ago, Curt said:

He deserved the fine.  If he does something like that again he definitely deserves a suspension.  You can’t cross check people in the numbers and into the boards as they are coasting to the bench after the play.

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah it was dirty, but I understand the reaction after being hit in the family jewels.

5 hours ago, MattPie said:

I don't think I do. You take the guys number and take care of it next time you're on the ice together. Hitting someone unawares isn't OK.

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Cozens isn’t good enough to be a scumbag 

I don’t understand any of this. When the Sabres play the Bruins or most any other team for that matter, I see stuff 10x worse than this every period.  I want my guys breaking bones and knocking out teeth.  *****, half our guys got hurt this season due to dirty plays.  Did y’all forget that?  ***** every other player on every other team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t understand any of this. When the Sabres play the Bruins or most any other team for that matter, I see stuff 10x worse than this every period.  I want my guys breaking bones and knocking out teeth.  *****, half our guys got hurt this season due to dirty plays.  Did y’all forget that?  ***** every other player on every other team.  

Let the Church say “Amen”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

This team has been the patsy of the league what seems like forever. Keep drafting guys with Cozens skill set and passion for the game and we just might become respected throughout the league again. Because don’t fool yourself, biting back is the only way they’ll take notice that this team won’t roll over. Sure it was dirty but imo it was appropriate.

• Like (+1) 4

10 hours ago, MattPie said:

I like Cozens and all, but that was some cheap-#$%% stuff right there. People here'd be calling for someones head if I Sabre was coasting to bench and got crosschecked from behind into the boards.

I think that was a much dirtier play than what Dell pulled a bunch of games back. Dell got in his way tapped him and the dude slipped. This hit though, looks like the intent was to injure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I think that was a much dirtier play than what Dell pulled a bunch of games back. Dell got in his way tapped him and the dude slipped. This hit though, looks like the intent was to injure. 

Nope.  Dell is a player that opposing players are expected to avoid contact with at all costs and as such are in no danger of being hit (with some extremely notable exceptions).  As Dell can't be hit, he also isn't expected to throw a check.  He put a very subtle shoulder into the guy when he was attempting to shift all his momentum from heading straight towards the boards to going completely perpendicular.

That hit from Dell was not a response to an earlier play.  It was both nasty & dirty.

Cozens was a response & was nasty but not particularly dirty.  MHO.  YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

10 hours ago, MattPie said:

I don’t get fans that are outraged by this.  It is the game. It happens. It usually happens to our players. 

The stuff between Cozens and Nelson started way before the cross check.  Nelson tripped him and had his stick in between Cozens legs.  

Nelson knew Cozens was there, he played possum, and he embellished it and no harm was done.  We should draft more just like Cozens. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Nope.  Dell is a player that opposing players are expected to avoid contact with at all costs and as such are in no danger of being hit (with some extremely notable exceptions).  As Dell can't be hit, he also isn't expected to throw a check.  He put a very subtle shoulder into the guy when he was attempting to shift all his momentum from heading straight towards the boards to going completely perpendicular.

That hit from Dell was not a response to an earlier play.  It was both nasty & dirty.

Cozens was a response & was nasty but not particularly dirty.  MHO.  YMMV.

A subtle shoulder, right in front of him, vs a guy skating away, defenses down, and having a stick used to buckle his legs and have him go face first into the boards. Nope, not dirty. Not only was it dirty, it was cowardly. 

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

A subtle shoulder, right in front of him, vs a guy skating away, defenses down, and having a stick used to buckle his legs and have him go face first into the boards. Nope, not dirty. Not only was it dirty, it was cowardly. 

Whah.   Nelson knows he is being pursued.  He instigated it, he won’t do it again though.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, kas23 said:

A subtle shoulder coming COMPLETELY unexpectedly.  With the players momentum at a high rate & leg angles not aligned with the momentum.  He was 11' from the boards and flying at close to full speed.  And you can count on one hand how many times that play happens in a season.  It had a FAR greater likelihood of a tragic ending than a play that happens multiple times every game w/ the players involved moving at much slower rates.

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Vs getting a stick to the nuts with your defenses down while also skating away? Nelson’s play was just as dirty and just as cowardly. 

14 hours ago, MattPie said:

He’s lucky to only get fined. It’s not even just that he did it by the boards, he specifically waited until it was most dangerous, by the looks of the clip. 

Pretty malicious. Hope he learns from it 

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Sure he will.

Maybe.

I wish I could find the interview that Donald Audette once gave about how he learned subtle stick work (some from Rob Ray?) that gave him space on the ice and discouraged opposing players from funking with him.

What Cozens did here is different. But the idea seems the same.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Maybe.

I wish I could find the interview that Donald Audette once gave about how he learned subtle stick work (some from Rob Ray?) that gave him space on the ice and discouraged opposing players from funking with him.

What Cozens did here is different. But the idea seems the same.

One would be a deterrent, the other a blatant attempt to injure? 

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Psshh. They are both designed to send a message, build a reputation of a player not to be trifled with.

The Cozens’ cross check - the Sabrespace Rorshach test no one saw coming.

30 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You don’t remember Audette’s stick work.  He was a master at doling out butt ends.  He may not have been intending to injure, but he was surely intending to cause a great deal of pain.  Same as Cozens, really.

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

You don’t remember Audette’s stick work.  He was a master at doling out butt ends.  He may not have been intending to injure, but he was surely intending to cause a great deal of pain.  Same as Cozens, really.

That’s the distinction I draw with Dylan’s: imo he’s clearly trying to hurt him. You can tell because of where the cross check is placed: it’s very low, when you go that low you are trying to take out his legs and get him down, that he waited until he was at the boards...add in that it was from behind - the word that comes to mind is “cowardly”. 

If you want to prove a point, take him on face to face. No, two wrongs don’t make a right. Attacking someone from behind is ALWAYS bush league 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That’s the distinction I draw with Dylan’s: imo he’s clearly trying to hurt him. You can tell because of where the cross check is placed: it’s very low, when you go that low you are trying to take out his legs and get him down, that he waited until he was at the boards...add in that it was from behind - the word that comes to mind is “cowardly”. 

If you want to prove a point, take him on face to face. No, two wrongs don’t make a right. Attacking someone from behind is ALWAYS bush league 

I’m guessing there was ALOT of chirping from behind and he wouldn’t turn and face his accuser.  Wouldn’t answer the bell.

My take on that crosscheck location is different than yours.  It was a cross check down, lower back area.  Well protected by the equipment they wear.  He absolutely did want to drop him.  But if he wanted to injure, knees and head are alot more obvious than a well padded core.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.