OT :Cheap Rapid tests

JoeSchmoe

My brother and I bought tix to the Jan 6 Sharks game when the border was wide open. We're planning to stay downtown after the game to make a night of it. Now it looks like we need a PCR to return to Canada.

Is there anywhere that offers a test to non-residents that's cheap enough to justify going over for a game? Everywhere I'm looking is either too much $ or has a too long turnaround time to be worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

• spndnchz changed the title to OT :Cheap PCR tests
2 hours ago, Eleven said:

wnyrapidtesting.com has locations right at the bridges.  I don't know what they charge.

Unfortunately, they charge $160 for next day results.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

There's a testing place in the Walden Galleria mall.

I just looked... The next day test is $125 here.

7 hours ago, RangerDave said:

NYSrapidtest.com currently has 4 sites open with another on the way.
5897 S transit Rd Lockport NY 14094
2339 Union rd. West Seneca NY 14224
1012 Payne Ave North Tonawanda NY 14120
680 Old Liverpool Rd. Liverpool NY 13088

I've heard prices can be $65 to $125, but I can't find the current price.

It looks like it's $175.

26 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Unfortunately, they charge $160 for next day results.

I just looked... The next day test is $125 here.

It looks like it's $175.

Bummer!

Stupid question, but doesn't Canada have to let you back in if you're Canadian?  Can you just get the test on your side of the river?

Edited by Eleven

28 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Bummer!

Stupid question, but doesn't Canada have to let you back in if you're Canadian?  Can you just get the test on your side of the river?

One stupid answer would be they let you over the bridge and now you’re in Canada, and you test positive, how are you going to get back into the US?

3 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

One stupid answer would be they let you over the bridge and now you’re in Canada, and you test positive, how are you going to get back into the US?

I think the original poster is Canadian, coming to the US for the game.

37 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Bummer!

I believe you have to quarantine for a stupidly long time if you don't get the test. Our plan B once they started the testing requirement was to fake symptoms to get a test on our side for free. A symptom free test is $200. Unfortunately now there's a testing backlog and it's unlikely we'd get the results back in the required 72 hours.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

How long before entry to Canada do you have to get the test?  When flying into a lot of countries, you can get a test within 72 hours of entry.  If that is the case for driving into Canada, if you get tested there before entering the US, wouldn't it still be valid for returning as long as not more than 72 hours have passed?

6 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

How long before entry to Canada do you have to get the test?  When flying into a lot of countries, you can get a test within 72 hours of entry.  If that is the case for driving into Canada, if you get tested there before entering the US, wouldn't it still be valid for returning as long as not more than 72 hours have passed?

Yes. That was our plan until the government got backed up in testing. Now there's a chance we wouldn't get the results in the required 72 hours.

I think the wellnow urgent care sites are getting a 2ish day turnaround for the testing. There are a lot of sites available as well. Same with the CVS and Rite Aid pharmacies. I'm driving to Quebec city on Tuesday, luckily I can just order myself a few days rapid test claiming "exposure" 😂

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Update: Starting March 1 it sounds like Canadians will only need a lab administered rapid test to get back to Canada instead of a PCR.

Is there a spot for cheap or free rapid tests? 

Mods: Can we get a title change to Cheap Rapid Tests?

You get them for free most anywhere 

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Key is he needs it to be "lab administered."

Black lab or chocolate lab or golden lab?  I'm sure it can be done.

More seriously, @JoeSchmoe, I'm sorry I didn't read more carefully.  I wish I had had the answer for you, but I don't.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2021 at 6:20 AM, JoeSchmoe said:

My brother and I bought tix to the Jan 6 Sharks game when the border was wide open. We're planning to stay downtown after the game to make a night of it. Now it looks like we need a PCR to return to Canada.

Is there anywhere that offers a test to non-residents that's cheap enough to justify going over for a game? Everywhere I'm looking is either too much $ or has a too long turnaround time to be worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

What is considered too much money.  Might help refine searches and answers.

• nfreeman changed the title to OT :Cheap Rapid tests
12 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

What is considered too much money.  Might help refine searches and answers.

I was hoping for free... But a price that makes going over just for an evening to watch a game would be my ballpark. Maybe $20 or less?

The going rate of $65 I seem to be seeing would be more than I'd want to spend.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Vaccination and you may still be denied if you plan to protest something or other ... based on the eye ball test of the border agent who you come to.

No protest. My wife and I just wanted to go into Canada for personal reasons for the day. Return in the evening.  So vaccination proof is still required. but no rapid test or anything like that is required to cross into and back? Ok 👍🏼

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.