Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

I feel like ESPN missed out in a unique opportunity to change the NHL broadcast slightly.

Instead of the same old graphic depicting shots, blocked shots etc they could introduce some analytics and graphs with all the fancy stuff on them. 

charlie murphy GIF

I will say, that if I was in Vegas, shrimmilled up on somethin’ tasty, all Hunter S. Thompson style, I would love the GK’s game presentation.

If I lived anywhere else and had to sit through that to watch an NHL game, I think it would be really annoying. That arena announcer is brutal.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I will say, that if I was in Vegas, shrimmilled up on somethin’ tasty, all Hunter S. Thompson style, I would love the GK’s game presentation.

If I lived anywhere else and had to sit through that to watch an NHL game, I think it would be really annoying. That arena announcer is brutal.

I said the same thing to my wife.

I asked her whether she thought Buffalonians wanted that type of spectacle with their hockey? 

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Geekie really impressed me. We need a few guys like that. 

and I know he's a bit of a one dimensional player but why didn't we sign Donato?

That shot by Geekie got on Lehner quick! 

I'm not sure but he firs in nice with Seattle. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Norcal said:

Good game. The Kracken will be fine and possibly more than fine. 

This isn’t necessarily directed at you, but I don’t understand why people don’t think Seattle wasn’t supposed to be a good team. They got to draft a team full of decent NHL players. Seattle and Vegas did not come into the league like expansion teams of years past in the major sports.

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

I thought it was a good goal.

So he didn’t passively just redirect the puck. His skate had a forward motion, but I don’t know when that becomes a distinct kicking motion. He clearly did more than just turn his skate.

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

Do you know that Buffalo was the first arena to project video onto the ice?

I have always thought that someone could write a book on buffalo sports that consisted of league wide firsts that happened in Buffalo.

1. naming of rich stadium

2. Will Wolford contract escalation clauses

3. there are many more but I’m old but I can’t think of them on the spot. I’ve thought about this for probably 20 years.

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

So he didn’t passively just redirect the puck. His skate had a forward motion, but I don’t know when that becomes a distinct kicking motion. He clearly did more than just turn his skate.

Yeah, that rule kinda sucks.

What I'd like to see is something like, "Any active motion to direct the puck into the net."  If it deflects of a skate, fine, but if the player actively does anything to guide or propel it into the net, no goal.  But that ship has sailed I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

What I'd like to see is something like, "Any active motion to direct the puck into the net."  If it deflects of a skate, fine, but if the player actively does anything to guide or propel it into the net, no goal.  But that ship has sailed I guess.

Would make it much simpler than that.  The rule was put in place to make sure guys weren't kicking at the puck creating slicing hazards of other players legs.  So, what they were trying to eliminate was the skate blade coming off the ice.  So, if the skate blade leaves the ice, no goal.  If it stays on the ice, good goal.  This would cause the very rare 'guy skating across the ice in front of the crease & the puck totally fortuitously hitting the raised skate & deflecting in' goal to not count.  But it makes it real easy to say whether a goal should count or not without worrying about intent.

And, if being the NHL, they need to complicate things and add a subparagraph dealing with that skating motion goal situation, so be it.  The bulk of the reviews would still be cut & dried.

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would make it much simpler than that.  The rule was put in place to make sure guys weren't kicking at the puck creating slicing hazards of other players legs.  So, what they were trying to eliminate was the skate blade coming off the ice.  So, if the skate blade leaves the ice, no goal.  If it stays on the ice, good goal.  This would cause the very rare 'guy skating across the ice in front of the crease & the puck totally fortuitously hitting the raised skate & deflecting in' goal to not count.  But it makes it real easy to say whether a goal should count or not without worrying about intent.

And, if being the NHL, they need to complicate things and add a subparagraph dealing with that skating motion goal situation, so be it.  The bulk of the reviews would still be cut & dried.

I need clarification. You'd allow a player to kick the puck in as long as his skate stayed on the ice?

48 minutes ago, SDS said:

I have always thought that someone could write a book on buffalo sports that consisted of league wide firsts that happened in Buffalo.

1. naming of rich stadium

2. Will Wolford contract escalation clauses

3. there are many more but I’m old but I can’t think of them on the spot. I’ve thought about this for probably 20 years.

I wonder if the Sabres were the first NHL team to put games on cable TV. 1972 — Rick was on TV long before Rick was on TV.