Could the Sabres be for sale?

dudacek

I looked the other day about that previous thread, and was notified that I did not have permission to view that thread - in spite of the fact that I had already commented on it and had received notifications about my post.

So I wondered, Did I do something to get under people's skins on that thread? That was clearly not my intent. I mean, I couldn't read responses. Then I looked on my own profile to see if I had been assessed any warning points over it. Nope, not a one.

8 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

I looked the other day about that previous thread, and was notified that I did not have permission to view that thread - in spite of the fact that I had already commented on it and had received notifications about my post.

So I wondered, Did I do something to get under people's skins on that thread? That was clearly not my intent. I mean, I couldn't read responses. Then I looked on my own profile to see if I had been assessed any warning points over it. Nope, not a one.

Without being a moderator or an administrator you can't see any deleted threads even if you started the thread.  That is what that message was conveying.  Not that you'd been banned again.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I don’t think the Sabres are up for sale. I think the Pegulas love hockey. They keep trying different things to have a successful team. It is just a matter of time before things work out in their favor. 

They keep HIRING different people, sure. Have you wondered why it never works? Look deeper. Sorry to be cryptic — I am well aware people are tired of my same copied and pasted response.

A thought — what if a prospective new owner has said, "I'm not buying the franchise in its current sorry state. Cut the dead wood, remove the rotten core, cut costs, give me a blanker canvas."

Or this is how the Pegs are staging the franchise to be sold. Which explains the smell of fresh baked cookies wafting around the arena.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

They keep HIRING different people, sure. Have you wondered why it never works? Look deeper. Sorry to be cryptic — I am well aware people are tired of my same copied and pasted response.

You are not being cryptic. You are being redundant. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I don’t think the Sabres are up for sale. I think the Pegulas love hockey. They keep trying different things to have a successful team. It is just a matter of time before things work out in their favor. 

how much time? it's not like they just bought the team. They've had a few years to get this right.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Is that not allowed here? Did you hear that Ralph sucked?

I used to be a harsh critic of Ralph as an owner. On the other hand I credit him for the way he handled his estate that led to the Bills remaining in western NY. And because of that I do not criticize him while he RIP.  In the end his balance sheet is more good than bad. Very often a story-line is not necessarily black and white. You may not be aware that here are also shades of gray in the box of crayons.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I used to be a harsh critic of Ralph as an owner. On the other hand I credit him for the way he handled his estate that led to the Bills remaining in western NY. And because of that I do not criticize him while he RIP.  In the end his balance sheet is more good than bad. Very often a story-line is not necessarily black and white. You may not be aware that here are also shades of gray in the box of crayons.  

My views of Terry are not black and white. People choose to forget things I've written in order to make my position cartoonish. For the record, I've said the ownership situation in Buffalo is damned-near perfect. They have a longstanding personal relationship with the team, they want to win and know what winning would mean to the fans, they seem to care, they're willing to spend, etc. But the indications remain that they consider the franchise to be a family plaything, from the hockey side to the business side to the frickin' hat side. It could all still work out, but IMNSHO, it won't until Terry makes a certain adjustment. (Of course "work out" is probably defined right now as merely returning the Buffalo Sabres to the NHL.)

Edited by PASabreFan

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They have as long as they own the team.

This is a critical offseason for the Sabres and the owners. It can't be disputed that this franchise has been stumbling since the Pegula reign. And it is evident that the fanbase has steadily eroded to point of also losing the next generation of fans. That's a frightening thought. Odds are that a few of our high profile and core players will be dealt. How this franchise manages these trades and rebuilds the roster will go a long way in either giving hope or further despair to the exhausted fanbase. The critical  issue right now is not so much about the upcoming wins and losses although that is an important issue. The issue is whether this current staff can run a professional operation that will be able to compete with the other well run organizations. This franchise has deservedly lost a lot of credibility. It's way past due to show that it is capable of getting back on track. I'm hoping this front office will make enough right decisions this offseason that that will lay the  groundwork for future success. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I think that maybe he means Ralph the Sabre coach?

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is a critical offseason for the Sabres and the owners. It can't be disputed that this franchise has been stumbling since the Pegula reign. And it is evident that the fanbase has steadily eroded to point of also losing the next generation of fans. That's a frightening thought. Odds are that a few of our high profile and core players will be dealt. How this franchise manages these trades and rebuilds the roster will go a long way in either giving hope or further despair to the exhausted fanbase. The critical  issue right now is not so much about the upcoming wins and losses although that is an important issue. The issue is whether this current staff can run a professional operation that will be able to compete with the other well run organizations. This franchise has deservedly lost a lot of credibility. It's way past due to show that it is capable of getting back on track. I'm hoping this front office will make enough right decisions this offseason that that will lay the  groundwork for future success. 

This is haunting. You're laying out more of an existential crisis for the franchise than merely an on-ice crisis. This theory actually lines up with some of the things KA has said about reconnecting with the community. Maybe we're looking at a return of the hardest-working team (pretty low on talent except in goal, high in entertainment value/connection). Which, of course, as a chemistry experiment almost worked to eventually bring a Cup or two to town. Find your soul/players with soul and the rest will follow; replace the heart, then go for the legs. It makes sense that the transition will be full of kids/the right brand of vets, almost the way Punch did it right off the git-go. The Taylor Halls of the world and probably the Jack Eichels almost certainly aren't up for it. Maybe this rebuild will be done the smart way.

Edited by PASabreFan

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

<politics>

A non-zero number of people have voted for the party which destroys jobs in the state and chases our people out with zeal, vigour, and alacrity, so it would be just for the community to get a permanent black eye for it.

</politics>

If GMKA and HCDG don't work, expect another set of rookie hires.  This has been TP's pattern for decades; he is not changing his ideas of how to run an operation because of the Sabres.  Any hope for a veteran GM or veteran Coach to right the ship is a forlorn one.

Sure would like to know if that's really how he ran East Resources. Because I'm pretty sure at one point he said no one ever left/quit.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Sure would like to know if that's really how he ran East Resources. Because I'm pretty sure at one point he said no one ever left/had to fired.

I recall the quote’s context as noone ever quit, although I think the word quit wasn’t used.  Likely left was used, but the context was quit as I recall.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.  

Unless we show you the door.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Let's not forget that the team wasn't sold to a man who led the USFL into a Pyrrhic victory against the NFL.

34 minutes ago, Weave said:

I recall the quote’s context as noone ever quit, although I think the word quit wasn’t used.  Likely left was used, but the context was quit as I recall.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.  

Unless we show you the door.

That sounds right. Thanks. I edited my less than goodliest post.

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

Without being a moderator or an administrator you can't see any deleted threads even if you started the thread.  That is what that message was conveying.  Not that you'd been banned again.

That explains the Prokop thread as well. It disappeared. Given its subject matter in the title, I could see it being a highly polarizing thread - along with certain members chiming in (BTW, I did not).

Nonetheless, I was justly concerned about how my approach and reply to someone else's comment might have turned things into a train wreck. That appears to not be the case.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

That explains the Prokop thread as well. It disappeared. Given its subject matter in the title, I could see it being a highly polarizing thread - along with certain members chiming in (BTW, I did not).

Nonetheless, I was justly concerned about how my approach and reply to someone else's comment might have turned things into a train wreck. That appears to not be the case.

Highly polarizing? The subject matter was a young athlete's courageous decision to come out and to make sports history. There isn't much polarizing about it, unless you want to drag hate, prejudice and religion into it. One person decided to be ignorant, and the thread is gone — he's still posting away. Neat trick. I got suspended once for repeating a hockey opinion someone didn't like too many times.

Whatevs.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.