OT: Your Dream Job

Wyldnwoody44

15 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Lead singer of U2.  Love the music, and the fact these guys have been working together for 45 years nonstop makes me believe their personalities/egos are atypical for rock legends.  

Being a long-time rock-and-roller with a technically excellent band (and immediately recognizable sound) would be pretty awesome.

39 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Champagne Super Nova. 

While the previous band would be fun to jam with, this latter band... they're brothers. That's cool.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Too specific, maybe. Right now I have all of it. I'm very surprised this turned out be my dream job.

Bolded for emphasis. Posting professionally on SabreSpace is a pretty good gig.

• Like (+1) 1

I love that so many folks like the idea of making food/beverages to make people happy. I enjoyed working as a cook, but didn't like the hours and would rather cook for and with friends/family than for strangers. Since being the starting free safety of the Green Bay Packers was unattainable physically and being the drummer in a rock band (although fun) wasn't really ever the dream....

I'd be an overly-detailed world-building fantasy novelist.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Being a long-time rock-and-roller with a technically excellent band (and immediately recognizable sound) would be pretty awesome.

While the previous band would be fun to jam with, this latter band... they're brothers. That's cool.

Bolded for emphasis. Posting professionally on SabreSpace is a pretty good gig.

I get paid by the troll accusation.

• Haha (+1) 4

It would be hard to pick just one, but being a member of a policy driven think tank would be cool. A position where you had a staff to bring you data and then you sit around with really smart people and try to come up with real solutions to problems based upon data and best practices.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, rakish said:

Stand-up.

I was trying to make youtube comedy videos in the early 1990s, well before youtube. I decided to look for actors at open-mics, so I started to go to faceboyz open mic and after about a month I decided I might be as good as all these people, so I signed up, and did that for a year or two.

The place in the East 90's, Comedy ______, I forget, (not Dangerfields) used to have open mic once a week. A couple times a year everyone would go to the club and sign up 6 months in advance, and part of their open mic is the woman that ran the club would consult for 3 minutes after your stage time. She asked me how often I performed, "Once a week" I lied, because I was performing about once every two weeks. "No. No. No, you gotta do 10 nights a week". If you've seen my podcast, you'd understand that I had a really low ceiling in my standup career, for multiple reasons.

15 years later I decide I still like the writing part, but the audience doesn't want to hear from someone my age, so I decide to write a script about a new performer being taught standup by her father, an updated All in the Family, with a 25 year old woman as meathead living in the basement of her retiring comedian father. My producer friend is interested, so we start development, which falls apart when he insists on doing blaxsploitation, "Dude, I can't write comedy for black people." But I got a lotta friends, what's one less?  I decide to produce it on my own, so in 2017 I'm busing up to Queens once a week to shoot at a wonderful open mic, the actress is really good, we shoot about 20 to 25 performances, about an hour of material. She finds a working standup willing to play her father, and it's all good, until the working standup sees it as an updated My Three Sons, "I can't play Archie Bunker, it would be bad for my brand"  ... sigh, it's terminally unfunny. 

So searching around for another actress interrupted by covid: the youtube star who does Sabre game reactions and writes goofy songs would be perfect, she doesn't get back to me, the pole dancer in Arlington would take the project in an entire new direction, she goes to the wrong open mic in DC and changes her mind, the woman working at my dump actually reads the script...thinks about it...not doing it.

I gotta new plan... it's not over yet.

luck GIF

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.