Sabres win lottery: Wednesday June 2nd, 7pm EDT

WildCard

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm just saying there's a lot of factors a FA has to weigh when picking one team against another. Having a 6'5" 215lb 1st overall would be part of the sales pitch, but obviously not the only factor.

I don’t think they would care.  NHL players don’t care about prospects.  They care about actual good NHL players, not guys who might be good players two years from now.

43 minutes ago, inkman said:

You’d be surprised how affable I am in person.  A few posters know me IRL.  I hope they can corroborate.  Like liger said, this team has sucked the soul out of us.  This past Bills season was by far and I mean by far the most enjoyable, entertaining, fun thing to happen to me in a very long time. 

Don't take this the wrong way, because I believe you when you say you're affable, but would the success of a pro sports team really be the most enjoyable thing to happen to you in a long time? 

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I don’t think they would care.  NHL players don’t care about prospects.  They care about actual good NHL players, not guys who might be good players two years from now.

For short term contracts, I'd say that's correct. For a long term contract, I think they'd look beyond that window.

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Don't take this the wrong way, because I believe you when you say you're affable, but would the success of a pro sports team really be the most enjoyable thing to happen to you in a long time? 

Everything outside of my son, yes.  I didn’t really include him in the thought process. Obviously, him learning to ride a bike, swim, reading, writing and all the things that come with a 1st grader have been my REAL source of enjoyment.  

Outside of that, my life is rather dull and mostly sports tied.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Perhaps....wondering if it also supports what we've been saying a long time....that there is no POHO role in the works and that GMKA is in charge.

I posted a while ago about an outlandish conspiracy theory I concocted that basically, KA decided to stage a coup of Sabres leadership, was the Pegulas' "spy" (along with Granato) who gave them the dirt to fire JBot, gave Krueger enough rope to hang himself and then pulled the lever on the trap door, brought in his compatriot as interim HC.  If it turns out he's a half-decent GM and gets the Pegulas to back off, I'm okay with all that being true.  He's been around the organization long enough to understand what makes the Pegulas tick, feeds their personalities, and in exchange they give him enough room to actually be the GM/POHO.  The secret, perhaps, is not to try to lock out the Pegulas, but to include them, make them think that all the hockey decisions are theirs, then execute to the Pegulas' (i.e., KA's) plan.

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Pegula is the GM, Adams is his vessel. Our hope is that Karmanos was a stroke of luck and he turns out to bring ideas to the table born of the experience that he alone has among the management team. 

No, no, no.  You have the same perception as the Pegulas, but they just *think* they're in charge.  😉

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I posted a while ago about an outlandish conspiracy theory I concocted that basically, KA decided to stage a coup of Sabres leadership, was the Pegulas' "spy" (along with Granato) who gave them the dirt to fire JBot, gave Krueger enough rope to hang himself and then pulled the lever on the trap door, brought in his compatriot as interim HC.  If it turns out he's a half-decent GM and gets the Pegulas to back off, I'm okay with all that being true.  He's been around the organization long enough to understand what makes the Pegulas tick, feeds their personalities, and in exchange they give him enough room to actually be the GM/POHO.  The secret, perhaps, is not to try to lock out the Pegulas, but to include them, make them think that all the hockey decisions are theirs, then execute to the Pegulas' (i.e., KA's) plan.

He's not named GM Sheevyn, slowing executing Orders all the way up to 66, for nothing.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Everything outside of my son, yes.  I didn’t really include him in the thought process. Obviously, him learning to ride a bike, swim, reading, writing and all the things that come with a 1st grader have been my REAL source of enjoyment.  

Outside of that, my life is rather dull and mostly sports tied.  

I guess with COVID there isnt much else going on.

Hopefully your son gets into sports. My kids (boy and girl) both play hockey and those are some fun times! My son is almost 14 and he's hoping to make it to the OHL in a couple of years. I've coached my daughter for a few her seasons, and those have been great times as well.

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Really don't want to ignore. I'm sure he has a lot to offer here but the bashing of the owners and management has reached a level of just constant finding fault with anything and everything. Having said that I've been very critical of ownership myself.

Oh, I've got one or two on ignore at any given moment.  The thing is, the board software blocks their posts, but shows those posts when they're quoted.  So if I see the person I've ignored making interesting points and decide I want to interact with them directly again, I take them off ignore.

One person I have on ignore I can't imagine ever removing that restrict.  The rest float into ignore then back out.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Honestly hope this is true, because it means that Adams is some sort of master manipulator.

In such a weak draft, following a COVID year, and last years firing of all buy about 5 scouts I am not that excited about the draft.

I imagine if we pick we will do so poorly - probably half compiled from media scouts lists.

if we trade it we will get little in return due to it being a weak draft; with disrupted scouting and no clear number one.

Lets see what Adams does with it - certainly another tool to work with. But I imagine we will likely be looking at a top five pick for the next few years.

48 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

They want direct access to Adams. The best outcome maybe another really seasoned GM is brought in and it is a 3 headed monster with Adams being the mouthpiece/ direct link to the Pegulas while Karmanos and the other GM do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Yep.  Let's just hope the Pegulas don't realize that KA knows how to play them and does it well.

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

Especially in the case of Ullmark, I would think he wants to see NOW, not continued promises of the future.

Just now, Trettioåtta said:

In such a weak draft, following a COVID year, and last years firing of all buy about 5 scouts I am not that excited about the draft.

I imagine if we pick we will do so poorly - probably half compiled from media scouts lists.

if we trade it we will get little in return due to it being a weak draft; with disrupted scouting and no clear number one.

Lets see what Adams does with it - certainly another tool to work with. But I imagine we will likely be looking at a top five pick for the next few years.

With the scouting department in shambles, it’s not really the top pick I worry about.  Plenty of time will get allocated to looking at those top guys and there is lots of accessible information out there.  It’s the rest of the draft that could really suffer, with players falling through the cracks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Honestly hope this is true, because it means that Adams is some sort of master manipulator.

I desperately hope there's truth to it.  It's the only scenario I can think of that gives me any hope for the Sabres.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

This post brings me joy. I do enjoy dark humor.  This made me lol.  

You’d be surprised how affable I am in person.  A few posters know me IRL.  I hope they can corroborate.  Like liger said, this team has sucked the soul out of us.  This past Bills season was by far and I mean by far the most enjoyable, entertaining, fun thing to happen to me in a very long time. 

glad to hear it. Hopefully, the Sabres will be able to do the same for all of us one day.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

glad to hear it. Hopefully, the Sabres will be able to do the same for all of us one day.

I've never met inky in person, but he's easily one of my favorite Sabrepacers.  I've always recognized that much of his humor is dark.  And funny as hell.

That said, he does seem pretty skeptical about the Sabres' future and I can hardly blame him, even while I paint fantasies of Kevyn Adams and Don Granato staging a coup under the Pegulas' noses without their realizing it.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

So is Beniers dead?

If he doesn't have a broken ankle and/or ankle sprain I will be stunned. He was helped off the ice and couldn't put weight on his leg. In the video you can watch his ankle bend back at about 80 degrees. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

So is Beniers dead?

Impossible to say until the ankle's been evaluated.  I've had tons of ankle sprains, some that felt awful when I did it sometimes healed quickly, while others that I tried to "walk off" and lingered for weeks.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In the video you can watch his ankle bend back at about 80 degrees. 

I don't see that at all, at least not in the clip attached to the tweet upthread. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on at that resolution.  I just watched it frame by frame.  Maybe in a higher def format it's clear that the ankle bends at an unnatural angle, but I don't see it.

I also remember Skinner twisting his.... knee, was it?  and the forum thought his season and maybe even his career was over, and he played the next game.

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't see that at all, at least not in the clip attached to the tweet upthread. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on at that resolution.  I just watched it frame by frame.  Maybe in a higher def format it's clear that the ankle bends at an unnatural angle, but I don't see it.

I also remember Skinner twisting his.... knee, was it?  and the forum thought his season and maybe even his career was over, and he played the next game.

And except for that following October, he's never been close to the same player as before the injury.

The weird thing about the Beniers injury is it looks like the Sabres might be on the cusp of swapping out 1 high end C with a propensity for ankle issues for another high end C with an ankle issue.  (And, yes, that ankle seemed to bend quite unnaturally.)

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I mean, if you've seen his stats page since, one could argue..

38 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Right as he hits the boards his ankle bends down about 80 degrees. 

Beniers is day to day but who knows if they have even been able to get a good look at his angle yet (swelling and such)

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Beniers is day to day but who knows if they have even been able to get a good look at his angle yet (swelling and such)

They listed his return as "questionable" in game, too. Looks like they've just decided to say pretty much nothing. 

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I watched the video.  I just didn't see what everyone else is saying.  80 degrees which way?  Up?  Down?  Left?  Right?  I can't see it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.