IIHF worlds

steveoath

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

R2 on right now. Finland vs Germany 

Hopefully Jar Jar Peterka, too. (And Toby, too!)

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Wild Card to all this will be Jason Karmanos. I believe He will have the biggest influence on how the Sabres Draft. He likes analytics, so those will be used in making decisions.

If he doesn't have the biggest influence (meaning if he doesn't overshadow the owners) then what was the point in hiring him? Is there a read on Karmanos' history with the Canes or Penguins on the type/style of D-man taken early?

5 minutes ago, kas23 said:

If we get 8OA too, I’m going with Wallstedt. Sorry, don’t know if he’ll work out, but next to 1C, that’s the most important position on the team. 

Yup -- Wallstedt is going to go anywhere from 7-15. Edit: Did I say 7, no. I said 6. 6-15. Detroit hasn't invested in a goalie in a long time (a long time) and Wallstedt has to be intriguing for them.

Edited by DarthEbriate

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

If we get 8OA too, I’m going with Wallstedt. Sorry, don’t know if he’ll work out, but next to 1C, that’s the most important position on the team. 

Power and Wallstedt. I’m sure There will be nothing but completely rational responses on the board on July 23rd. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

I would love if Anaheim would give up Zegras and 3OA for Eichel. I do not see it happening though. 

That's still not enough for me. This is a bad draft to make that 3OA worth what is usually is. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You can draft cossa in the 2nd who will be better 

Cossa could go late 1st....  He definitely doesn't make it to our bottom-of-the-second pick from Boston. Is he near the top of your board at 33OA knowing that UPL is in the AHL next year and Portillo has at least 2 more seasons at Michigan?  (This should probably be in a different thread.)

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

It is probably in the 80-90% range.

Very likely true, but we would need to know the thoughts of Pegs/KA/JK to say this with certainty.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

You are holding onto false hope if you think the pick will be anyone but him.

feel free to buy you Power Jersey today 

Because he is the best player in the draft and it’s no longer close.  

Completely possible that he is the pick, but I would urge caution if you think this tournament has truly PROVEN anything.  It’s nice, but a lot of these players are just not good NHLers.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The Sabres need literally everything. If this board wasn’t so set with their preconceived notions that Power isn’t good enough we’d all be going wild over his performance today. By all accounts he had a few rough plays in the second but bounced back with more than ten minutes of ice time to secure a win in a very important game.

What he’s doing in this tournament has absolutely locked him in for me.

See above.  Brakes.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not impressive ??? Have you seen what hockey people are saying about him? He was the number one guy going into the worlds and he solidified his ranking   
yes he is no Dahlin offensively he’s the guy you put out there with a minute to go in the game.  A coach’s dream player. 
do you put Dahlin out there with a minute to go in the game and holding a 1 goal

It’s not like there is Connor McDavid out there and we are saying take the Dman.

he’s the best player , dont over think it.  Take him 

Brakes, pump.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

That franchise center didn't help ? Or the other all star players putting the puck in the net

Dustin Brown, star players? That team was built on Doughty and their backend with Quick to compliment. The Preds had way more offensive star power 

Edited by WildCard

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Did you forget about Kopitar, carter , Williams? 

2013-2014 season LA Kings score 206 goals 24th in the league, they allow 174 goals against, 1st in the league. 

2011-2012 season LA Kings score 194 goals 29/30th in the league, they allow 179 goals against, 2nd in the league.

31 minutes ago, WildCard said:

2013-2014 season LA Kings score 206 goals 24th in the league, they allow 174 goals against, 1st in the league. 

2011-2012 season LA Kings score 194 goals 29/30th in the league, they allow 179 goals against, 2nd in the league.

Im talking playoffs those guys won the cup 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Very likely true, but we would need to know the thoughts of Pegs/KA/JK to say this with certainty.

Completely possible that he is the pick, but I would urge caution if you think this tournament has truly PROVEN anything.  It’s nice, but a lot of these players are just not good NHLers.

Logging such major minutes in a men’s WORLD tournament as the youngest player to EVER play for team Canada is nothing short of impressive, regardless of whether or not there are superstars on the rosters or not.

There are still guys like Tarasenko, Jakob Vrana, Connor Garland, Dominik Kubalik, Adrian Kempe, Rakell, Olofsson, Hischier, and Timo Meier on the offensive side that are more than just depth guys.

There is little chance Power wasn’t already number one on their board. There’s an even smaller chance now.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Hopefully Jar Jar Peterka, too. (And Toby, too!)

Ja, mon, never remind anybody about Jar Jar Binks ever.  IMHO, that character is emblematic of everything wrong with the Star Wars series since its return.

13 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Ja, mon, never remind anybody about Jar Jar Binks ever.  IMHO, that character is emblematic of everything wrong with the Star Wars series since its return.

Life, hockey, and Star Wars are all rich tapestries of good and bad. Lucas wanted a slapstick cartoon hero to perform things humans couldn't in the successfully clumsy oaf way --- in the manner of a Dudley Do-Right. There's nothing wrong with that on its own. Regrettablly, it was packaged in both an offensive and juvenile way. It's where Lucas needed someone to push back instead of a bunch of people saying yes. The simple established use of an alien language and subtitles, perhaps could have saved the whole character and his arc/purpose. Episode I had many other issues beyond JJ, though.

• Like (+1) 1

Someone said Power looks like an anime character and now I can't unsee it

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

You are holding onto false hope if you think the pick will be anyone but him.

feel free to buy you Power Jersey today 

Because he is the best player in the draft and it’s no longer close.  

why do you care so much if people want/think it could be someone else?

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Power and Wallstedt. I’m sure There will be nothing but completely rational responses on the board on July 23rd. 

If we take a goalie and a D in the top 10, in seriousness all the anger would be rational 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It's recency bias because he's been good in this tournament. He's worthy of 1st but the hype train has left the station.

He’s been the clear number one for a while now. Not consensus but certainly the odds on favorite. It didn’t happen suddenly with this tournament. Maybe consider the possibility that this tournament is a continuation of good work already put in by the prospect.

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

That's still not enough for me. This is a bad draft to make that 3OA worth what is usually is. 

Even in a “normal” draft I’d want more than those two pieces.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He’s been the clear number one for a while now. Not consensus but certainly the odds on favorite. It didn’t happen suddenly with this tournament. Maybe consider the possibility that this tournament is a continuation of good work already put in by the prospect.

You probably had it right when you said people didn't think we were gonna win it. So perhaps it's recency bias because we won the lottery and people just didn't bother considering him as much before

Not that it's actually a "bias" in this case, just that that may account for a lot of the turn 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

You probably had it right when you said people didn't think we were gonna win it. So perhaps it's recency bias because we won the lottery and people just didn't bother considering him as much before

Not that it's actually a "bias" in this case, just that that may account for a lot of the turn 

Yea, I think a lot of it was this. I, too, focused mostly on Beniers and favored him for a short time because I assumed we’d be at 2/3.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yea, I think a lot of it was this. I, too, focused mostly on Beniers and favored him for a short time because I assumed we’d be at 2/3.

Myself I focused on Beniers (if anyone, really) because I think taking another D at 1 is a mistake. But we don't need to rehash this in another thread haha

Especially a left shot D man

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Logging such major minutes in a men’s WORLD tournament as the youngest player to EVER play for team Canada is nothing short of impressive, regardless of whether or not there are superstars on the rosters or not.

There are still guys like Tarasenko, Jakob Vrana, Connor Garland, Dominik Kubalik, Adrian Kempe, Rakell, Olofsson, Hischier, and Timo Meier on the offensive side that are more than just depth guys.

There is little chance Power wasn’t already number one on their board. There’s an even smaller chance now.

Yeah, impressive, just not as impressive as it would be in a normal year.  Agree that it probably raised his prospect stock.

As for who is #1 on Adams’ board, we certainly don’t know.  Would not have guessed that Quinn was top of the board when pick 8 was on the clock last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.