Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is correct 

Last Summer Jack would have gotten a open prospect, high pick, plus 

This year with uncertainty of His Injury and His disagreement with the team that’s not happening. 

Having Jack prove himself healthy runs the risk of Him saying His neck was re-injured and shutting it down for the season. 
Then after July 1st, 2022 he gives the two or three teams that he will play for. 

Take 3 Overall, Comtois, Perrault one another piece ans Henrique as a cap dump before Murray changes His Mind. 

Maybe. But I could see the odds of it working out better for us potentially increasing if we were to hold, then. 

1) Jack could be healthy and (along with Adams) could change his mind (best case scenario overall)

2) Jack could be healthy and we move him for a great return 

3) Jack could shut it down, ya, but even if he puts it a short list for his NTC, even a handful of teams, for a healthy Jack, probably bid up a higher price

Jack would have to likely never return to health (even not for a short, trade window period) in order for that Ducks deal to end up the best of the results for us. 

I think id gamble here 

(If the return really is expected to go way up with him healthy) 

If it’s the difference between getting 30A, or 3OA *and* Zegras, hypothetically, I probably wait. Better odds bet - it’s pretty unlikely in my eyes Jack won’t come back healthy, never mind come back and at least *appear* healthy, for a short time.

If the return is going to look like that Ducks deal, in my estimation the only way keeping him backfires is if he’s really actually up schitt’s creek injury/prognosis wise. I don’t think it’ll be that hard to equal later - we have to remember it’s supposedly not a great draft. 

If Jack breaks and retires, I’m not going to lament some nameless faceless 3 overall who could have been. Just imo. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is correct 

This year with uncertainty of His Injury and His disagreement with the team that’s not happening. 

Having Jack prove himself healthy runs the risk of Him saying His neck was re-injured and shutting it down for the season. 
Then after July 1st, 2022 he gives the two or three teams that he will play for. 

Take 3 Overall, Comtois, Perrault one another piece ans Henrique as a cap dump before Murray changes His Mind. 

I will be so pissed if we trade him for that.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is correct 

He can stay a sabre for 5 years more than, I keep saying it, when you trade for Jack nothing on your roster should be untouchable.

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is correct 

Absolutely not. If you can't get Zegras (preference) or Drysdale included in a trade with Anaheim then move on. If Chicago is willing to trade Dach and their pick I would be open to it. But if Dach isn't included in a deal with Chicago then the response is the same i.e. absolutely not

We don't have to trade Jack if the return doesn't include a high end prospect plus additional pieces. The notion that due to resentment Jack would fake his health status doesn't make sense. He's a person who has so much passion for the game that he was willing to subject himself to a riskier procedure so that he could get back on the ice sooner. 

If the organization is determined to move him but can't get a fair return for him right now then it should bide its time and make a deal at another time. If that makes the player unhappy, then so be it. Buffalo has had a lot of unhappy players for them. One more player added to this large agitated group is not going to hurt the team compared to making a bad deal. No more foolish ROR deals; learn from your mistakes---not repeat them!

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Absolutely not. If you can't get Zegras (preference) or Drysdale included in a trade with Anaheim then move on. If Chicago is willing to trade Dach and their pick I would be open to it. But if Dach isn't included in a deal with Chicago then the response is the same i.e. absolutely not

We don't have to trade Jack if the return doesn't include a high end prospect plus additional pieces. The notion that due to resentment Jack would fake his health status doesn't make sense. He's a person who has so much passion for the game that he was willing to subject himself to a riskier procedure so that he could get back on the ice sooner. 

If the organization is determined to move him but can't get a fair return for him right now then it should bide its time and make a deal at another time. If that makes the player unhappy, then so be it. Buffalo has had a lot of unhappy players for them. One more player added to this large agitated group is not going to hurt the team compared to making a bad deal. No more foolish ROR deals; learn from your mistakes---not repeat them!

I'm not sure what the right thing is to do, but I do feel with absolute certainty that holding onto him and being patient is usually the thing Buffalo doesn't do, for better or worse. 

Loving this team and following them closely, that ^ gives me pause in this moment. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Ain't happening...  Ducks are not trading Zegras nor is LA trading Byfield.

The return for Eichel will include picks, 2 tops prospects (sans Zegras/Byfield) and roster player(s).

So long as Buffalo is holding out hope for either of those players, Eichel will remain a Sabre.

I agree with you.

A HEALTHY Jack Eichel might get you one of those top prospects, but he isn't.  Any other team trading for him might be trading for damaged goods.

If by some chance the Sabres get one of the leagues top prospects, great.  But many on this forum are setting themselves up to be disappointed....or at the very least setting up an expectation (by themself, not by others) to be able to complain about the return when it happens.

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

After they trade Jack, I might need to take 2 weeks away from here (though I probably won’t).

So many are going to be endlessly railing against the return.

Fans were sold on the plan to get this player for quite some time. 

If they have receipts, because it's only been 6 years....they were sold a manufacturer's warranty, too. 

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with you.

A HEALTHY Jack Eichel might get you one of those top prospects, but he isn't.  Any other team trading for him might be trading for damaged goods.

If by some chance the Sabres get one of the leagues top prospects, great.  But many on this forum are setting themselves up to be disappointed....or at the very least setting up an expectation (by themself, not by others) to be able to complain about the return when it happens.

Bah. Slowly the bad returns are becoming good, ok. I get that.

But now the connotation is going to start becoming that the venting about it is misplaced? 

Nah. And people aren't setting themselves up to be disappointed. 

People are disappointed. 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Bah. Slowly the bad returns are becoming good, ok. I get that.

But now the connotation is going to start becoming that the venting about it is misplaced? 

Nah. And people aren't setting themselves up to be disappointed. 

People are disappointed. 

Nothing at all about what I had to say.

Let me try again. People are posting that they EXPECT a return on Eichel that is likely MUCH greater than he will get.

People are posting that if you don't get that return, just hold onto him and wait until you DO get that return they want (which may never happen no matter how long you wait.

When the Sabres trade Eichel, they will likely get a return that is less than what certain people on here say they want, thus giving them further, additional, reason to complain about something that was likely never going to be what they wanted in the first place.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Flashsabre said:

No one on a message board has a clue about who is and who isn’t available in a trade. No one is in on the calls and has inside information.  Let’s stop with the “This guy isn’t available” nonsense without a legit source stating so.

I know one thing if we don't get a 1St and A rated prospect +  .

No one should go to the game  next year I mean zero people 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Ain't happening...  Ducks are not trading Zegras nor is LA trading Byfield.

The return for Eichel will include picks, 2 tops prospects (sans Zegras/Byfield) and roster player(s).

So long as Buffalo is holding out hope for either of those players, Eichel will remain a Sabre.

Then let him remain a Sabre.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Fans were sold on the plan to get this player for quite some time. 

If they have receipts, because it's only been 6 years....they were sold a manufacturer's warranty, too. 

It’s as good a place to vent and commiserate as any I guess, and after enduring the organization’s incompetence I don’t really blame anyone.

But I’ve kind of been expecting things to come to an major inflection point since this past season took a downward turn, due to the contract situations of Eichel/Reinhart/Risto, and their previously expressed dissatisfaction with the team’s performance.  The events  after the season just reaffirmed this.

So I guess I’ve just gotten accustomed to the idea.  I also don’t think that and Eichel trade without receiving a top-5 in the NHL prospect is an auto fail.  So the constant complaining about it just feels tedious to me.

Those holding out hope that he remains a Sabres are going to be disappointed.

The path has been determined. The decision has been made. The return will disappoint.

Get it over with, figure out what comes next.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Nothing at all about what I had to say.

Let me try again. People are posting that they EXPECT a return on Eichel that is likely MUCH greater than he will get.

People are posting that if you don't get that return, just hold onto him and wait until you DO get that return they want (which may never happen no matter how long you wait.

When the Sabres trade Eichel, they will likely get a return that is less than what certain people on here say they want, thus giving them further, additional, reason to complain about something that was likely never going to be what they wanted in the first place.

The overwhelming majority of sensible people here know that we are not going to get equal value for a Jack or even on Samson deal. But not attaining a maximum deal doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to get a fair/reasonable return for him/them. The organization may prefer to trade Jack but they are not obligated to do so, especially if a solid deal can't be had.

Reinhart is a different situation. He has leverage to induce a deal because of his contract status. But even with him if a reasonable deal can't be made then keep him until he becomes an UFA. Is there a possibility that he might change his mind and eventually decides to sign a long term contract? The chances increase if the Sabres are able to be a more serious team.  

No more ROR stupid deals. If a front office can't learn from its stupid mistakes that setback the franchise, then it should be cleansed of its incompetent staff. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The path has been determined. The decision has been made. The return will disappoint.

Like I said, people are disappointed right now. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree with you that odds are that the GM has decided to move Jack. But that doesn't mean that it has to done this offseason if a fair-value (not equal) deal can't be made. After next year Jack has a trade clause kick in where he has a say to where he can go. That's fine. If a good deal can't be made then so be it. You simply keep him. When you have an asset you don't give it away for 10 cents on the dollar. I would rather wait until I can get 35 cents on the dollar. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Like I said, people are disappointed right now. 

A majority I’d say. It’s grief for one of the few things from the past decade that felt like it could still generate hope.

The “iF we aren’t getting Zegras, say no” crowd is in denial, IMO.

I’ve moved on to acceptance. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

It’s as good a place to vent and commiserate as any I guess, and after enduring the organization’s incompetence I don’t really blame anyone.

But I’ve kind of been expecting things to come to an major inflection point since this past season took a downward turn, due to the contract situations of Eichel/Reinhart/Risto, and their previously expressed dissatisfaction with the team’s performance.  The events  after the season just reaffirmed this.

So I guess I’ve just gotten accustomed to the idea.  I also don’t think that and Eichel trade without receiving a top-5 in the NHL prospect is an auto fail.  So the constant complaining about it just feels tedious to me.

I mean I’m glad you are already accustomed to it. I haven’t seen a game without him being Sabres property yet so I’ll let you know when I’m not disappointed anymore. It’s not raw emotion. You can accept something and it still be disappointing.

It hasn’t even happened yet and some are accustomed to it. That you find it so tedious when others are still actively disappointed perhaps speaks to how unusually “past it” your position is - IIRC you’ve been a proponent on this board for a long time of an Eichel deal being inevitable 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that odds are that the GM has decided to move Jack. But that doesn't mean that it has to done this offseason if a fair-value (not equal) deal can't be made. After next year Jack has a trade clause kick in where he has a say to where he can go. That's fine. If a good deal can't be made then so be it. You simply keep him. When you have an asset you don't give it away for 10 cents on the dollar. I would rather wait until I can get 35 cents on the dollar. 

Jack is going to be sold to the highest bidder this summer so Adams can move ahead with his plan.

The market will decide his value. You and I don’t get to decide fair value.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Also just because Adams is seemingly totally decided doesn’t mean that OBJECTIVELY there aren’t other viable avenues to pursue. To whittle it all down to “commiserating and venting” when reasonable arguments are being presented, by say @Taro Tand others for how other directions might look, doesn’t do service to the discussion. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jack is going to be sold to the highest bidder this summer so Adams can move ahead with his plan.

The market will decide his value. You and I don’t get to decide fair value.

And taking about it is tedious! 

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If we do trade him to Vegas, we do get the added benefit of the non-negligible chance he wins a Conn Smythe next year 

I just don't understand, unless you're getting Krebs, Glass, Tuch and Theodore, what else do they have.  They are stacked to the cap, their picks are late, and their young assets aren't that great.  Cormier, is okay and I like Dorofeyev, but I still don't see the Russian factor being suddenly open minded here. 

Edited by TheCerebral1