Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

5th or 6th , based on current point totals 

You don't think higher based on quality of completion and no RK?

Keep in mind that going by last year's records, the Oilers would be the top team in the North with a .585 pt%. Comparing them against the East teams records from last year, they would be 6th, behind NYI that was .588.

19 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

You don't think higher based on quality of completion and no RK?

Keep in mind that going by last year's records, the Oilers would be the top team in the North with a .585 pt%. Comparing them against the East teams records from last year, they would be 6th, behind NYI that was .588.

Most preseason projections had them finishing 5th or 6th. 

No RK or Covid Shutout probably makes them a little better, but Washington, NYI, Pittsburgh and Boston are still the class of the division.  I think the Sabres and Rangers would be battling for 5th, but without Eichel the edge goes to the Rags. 

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

No RK or Covid Shutout probably makes them a little better, but Washington, NYI, Pittsburgh and Boston are still the class of the division.  I think the Sabres and Rangers would be battling for 5th, but without Eichel the edge goes to the Rags. 

My question was what place they'd be in the North (w Granato / wo Krueger... pick your flavour) not the East (aka Division of Death).

I ask this as a Canadian that has to listen to how awesome the Leafs are this year 24/7.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

My question was what place they'd be in the North (w Granato / wo Krueger... pick your flavour) not the East (aka Division of Death).

I ask this as a Canadian that has to listen to how awesome the Leafs are this year 24/7.

7th.

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Sorry about that, I missed the North Division Part, without RK they would be in the running for the final playoff spot. 

Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton are better. I think it would be between Montreal and Buffalo for 4th with the edge to Montreal based on better goaltending.

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Sorry I missed something....why are people calling him "Meatballs"??? He doesn't remind me of Bill Murray, so it must be something else...a little help appreciated.

Having worked for Italians for 22 years, it was probably obvious to me but reflecting on it, it probably requires a default bada bing mentality to be “in the know”.  The origin:

The first recorded reference:

some other subsequent gems:

Just search Donny Meatballs on Twitter. Quite entertaining.  

• Like (+1) 2

The interesting part is that their was talk about keeping the North Division intact for one or two more seasons, but to balance out the divisions either Seattle or Buffalo would move temporarily to the North. The 12 Road Games they would play versus Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary would have been played in batches, similar to MLB. Back to back, 2 games in three nights and then move to the next city.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The interesting part is that their was talk about keeping the North Division intact for one or two more seasons, but to balance out the divisions either Seattle or Buffalo would move temporarily to the North. The 12 Road Games they would play versus Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary would have been played in batches, similar to MLB. Back to back, 2 games in three nights and then move to the next city.

Please no. 

That division already seems like a different brand of hockey, If Seattle is like any other non-vegas expansion team that division just doesn't do it for me. 

I'd imagine it would be a nice division to be in for Buffalo competition wise but the travel would probably be really tough. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Your assessment is fair. With Eichel I think the team edge goes to the Sabres. Others can take the opposite view in comparing these two teams and have a valid view. The one positive in floundering in the abyss this year is that it allowed Granato to play so many young players not only on the roster but also prospects who were in Rochester. Bryson and Samuelsson have shown that they are ready to make the jump. That certainly gives the organization a better sense of what they have in the system and to what degree they have to go to the market in order to address some needs. And being comfortable with your own young players that will give the organization more financial wherewithal to address the contracts that are coming up with their own players, most notably Dahlin, Ullmark and Reinhart.  

Edited by JohnC

On 4/19/2021 at 1:19 PM, Brawndo said:

Harrington mentioned this yesterday FWIW

Granato took over and practiced this team hard, knowing  he was sacrificing early game results. The Sabres, remember, started 0-5-1 under him but needed to improve their conditioning. Which team was better in the third period of every game on the road trip that just ended?

It was the Sabres, and not Philadelphia, Boston or Washington. That's how you have impact.

One other minor item regarding "conditioning" (not sure if this is the best post to respond to it, if not, apologies).

After the Sabres came back from their two full week COVID break, under Krueger they played 18 games over the next 30 days with only 12 non-game days and ZERO b-t-b days off.  At the time the Sabres had gotten at least a point in their 5th consecutive game, they'd played 10 games under Granato with 10 days off including a 3 day off break & a 2 day off break.  (Not including the single day off traveling to Buffalo to begin the Granato era.)

By the time we got through Tuesday's game, they'd played the same 18 games but with 16 days off.

Those 4 extra days of not having to go at game speed are huge for recovery/ recuperation.  That is slightly better than 1 full extra day off 4 out of 5 weeks.  (Aka, they went from 3 games every 5 days for a full month to having played 1 single game more than a game every other day pace over a span greater than a month.)

As stated upthread, it doesn't seem credible that these professional athletes weren't in condition and really don't see how given the parameters of what the schedule dictates that Granato has improved their conditioning mid-season.

Fully accept that they are playing better in the 3rd for the most part relative to their play post break under Krueger.  But chalk that up to being better rested and being looser, not to mention having a faith in the goaltending that was not there for a month & 2 days & them believing in what Granato is telling them.  Not to being better conditioned.  IMHO.

And, in case anyone is curious, they have 10 more games starting tonight with 7 more non-game days.  (Under Granato they'll have played 28 games in 52 days assuming no additional postponements.)

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

One other minor item regarding "conditioning" (not sure if this is the best post to respond to it, if not, apologies).

After the Sabres came back from their two full week COVID break, under Krueger they played 18 games over the next 30 days with only 12 non-game days and ZERO b-t-b days off.  At the time the Sabres had gotten at least a point in their 5th consecutive game, they'd played 10 games under Granato with 10 days off including a 3 day off break & a 2 day off break.  (Not including the single day off traveling to Buffalo to begin the Granato era.)

By the time we got through Tuesday's game, they'd played the same 18 games but with 16 days off.

Those 4 extra days of not having to go at game speed are huge for recovery/ recuperation.  That is slightly better than 1 full extra day off 4 out of 5 weeks.  (Aka, they went from 3 games every 5 days for a full month to having played 1 single game more than a game every other day pace over a span greater than a month.)

As stated upthread, it doesn't seem credible that these professional athletes weren't in condition and really don't see how given the parameters of what the schedule dictates that Granato has improved their conditioning mid-season.

Fully accept that they are playing better in the 3rd for the most part relative to their play post break under Krueger.  But chalk that up to being better rested and being looser, not to mention having a faith in the goaltending that was not there for a month & 2 days & them believing in what Granato is telling them.  Not to being better conditioned.  IMHO.

And, in case anyone is curious, they have 10 more games starting tonight with 7 more non-game days.  (Under Granato they'll have played 28 games in 52 days assuming no additional postponements.)

Practicing with more pace and attention to detail is probably a better way to describe Granato’s Practices. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Practicing with more pace and attention to detail is probably a better way to describe Granato’s Practices. 

Which could absolutely be true.  

My contention was that there was little to no possibility that under Granato the team's "conditioning" had improved in the brief time he's been the HC.  (And, again, realize you weren't the one originally making that claim.)

30 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don't care how the Sabres play the last 10 games or so.  There is NO WAY Granato should be hired without a thorough search of the most experienced candidates on the market.  None of this "we know him and we like to hire within our comfort zone" crap.

Name vs results? I'm sure they have been looking at coaches available but if Granato is doing all you'd expect what's wrong with also knowing him? Frankly, it's like free agency you pay for a name? Most fans would. I'm not for or against Granato but I'm going to judge him by performance not name or "knowing or not knowing" him. Just like some want to scrap this whole roster for just change.

11 minutes ago, Radar said:

Name vs results? I'm sure they have been looking at coaches available but if Granato is doing all you'd expect what's wrong with also knowing him? Frankly, it's like free agency you pay for a name? Most fans would. I'm not for or against Granato but I'm going to judge him by performance not name or "knowing or not knowing" him. Just like some want to scrap this whole roster for just change.

Does "looking at coaches" = formal interviews?  If not, then Adams is doing this franchise a disservice if he hires Granato without formal interviews of the best available candidates.

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Does "looking at coaches" = formal interviews?  If not, then Adams is doing this franchise a disservice if he hires Granato without formal interviews of the best available candidates.

I have this feeling that you're afraid he'll do well and you don't want him. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

I have this feeling that you're afraid he'll do well and you don't want him. Maybe I'm wrong.

Not at all.  I just want the best candidate for the job, and if they hire Granato without interviewing anyone else, the ownership and FO will continue to be a joke IMO.

If they interview the most experienced...Julien, Brodeau, Gallant, etc...  along with some rising stars from college, juniors, or the AHL, and decide Granato is their man, I will at least respect the process, but still feel they didn't hire the right guy.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by LabattBlue

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Not at all.  I just want the best candidate for the job, and if they hire Granato without interviewing anyone else, the ownership and FO will continue to be a joke IMO.

I doubt he would be hired without even the consideration of other possibilities. Frankly interviews can be face to face,zoom or phone. I'm sure our last coach interviewed very well. Most established coaches and their records are well documented. I'm not against hiring an established coach (with the exception of Torts who I think is a bad match) but I'm going to base support or lack of it for Granato on his performance only which to this point is pretty impressive in my mind. Let's see what the next remaining games look like.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

I doubt he would be hired without even the consideration of other possibilities. Frankly interviews can be face to face,zoom or phone. I'm sure our last coach interviewed very well. Most established coaches and their records are well documented. I'm not against hiring an established coach (with the exception of Torts who I think is a bad match) but I'm going to base support or lack of it for Granato on his performance only which to this point is pretty impressive in my mind. Let's see what the next remaining games look like.

Kevyn was hired without any hint they actually interviewed/considered other candidates....

I’m actual pro-Granato, but think they should formally interview other candidates. 

• Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Kevyn was hired without any hint they actually interviewed/considered other candidates....

I’m actual pro-Granato, but think they should formally interview other candidates. 

But not just for appearance to satisfy fans.

I still would rather have a proven Coach such as Boudreau or Gallant behind the bench on October 12th.

However I think the type of coach they need to hire will be dependent on what they do with Eichel and/or Reinhart. If both are back next year, an experienced HC is the way to go. 

However if they are going to move on from them and reset the core with Cozens, Mitts, Dahlin and Prospects, maybe Granato is the choice for that team, with more experienced Assts. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.