Lineup for the remainder of the season?

GASabresIUFAN

It's actually a quandary.  I want the kids to play, but given the horrid state of the team and key injuries to Jack, Ullmark and McCabe, is it really in their best interest to play for the Sabres this season.  Do we bring up UPL and R2 to give them a look?  What about Quinn.  Certainly Asplund, Mitts and Cozens should be playing here each night because they are already here, but others I'm not so sure.

Skinner Lazar Reinhart

Hall Cozens Olofsson

Mitts R2 Reider

Asplund Eakin Sheahan

Dahlin Montour

Miller Ristolainen

Davidson Bryson Jokiharju

(G-d) that D really stinks)

UPL

Hutton

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Configure the roster in such a way as to maximize your ability to win games. We'll get the most out of that, overall, I think 

All things considered. The players are most likely being maximized in a situation where we are winning games. I feel like that's obvious but really, just try to win. 

Edited by Thorny

I don't think it matters. 

I know some people want to test out and see the youngsters, but I'm of the opposite mindset. I'd prefer they play in Rochester and keep them away from this disaster until we get a new coach and set a new identity. I don't want to break Bryson like we already broke Dahlin and Jokiharju as well. Don't let UPL anywhere near this. 

Since I believe we should trade off all UFAs and most RFAs the roster can be a bunch of cap cast offs we have to take in return (but not on long contracts, just guys on the books for the remainder of this season). 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Configure the roster in such a way as to maximize your ability to win games. We'll get the most out of that, overall, I think 

All things considered. The players are most likely being maximized in a situation where we are winning games. I feel like that's obvious but really, just try to win. 

I actually don't think winning games will be the central focus for the rest of the year, per se.

They are going to see who is paying attention, who is responding to coaching, and who is delivering EFFORT more than anything else.

It's an audition to see which players management will want to retain moving forward, and who will be part of the pending massive player exodus from Buffalo, NY.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I actually don't think winning games will be the central focus for the rest of the year, per se.

They are going to see who is paying attention, who is responding to coaching, and who is delivering EFFORT more than anything else.

It's an audition to see which players management will want to retain moving forward, and who will be part of the pending massive player exodus from Buffalo, NY.

I see it as more winning would be a logical byproduct of putting these players in a position to succeed - which I believe would be the most beneficial way to evaluate them. 

Def agree there will be evaluation 

The team should use the rest of this year to evaluate the players in the organization and decide who they want to go forward with and who they can get value for in trade. 

IR Eichel, waive Okposo

Play Asplund, Thompson and Mittlestadt and never sit Bryson again.

Max out the Trade Deadline

I'd love to see college free agent LHD Ryan Jones and vets like JS Dea and Steven Fogarty in Rochester get a few games in the NHL. 

I'd keep R2, Samuelsson, Laaksonen, UPL and Quinn down on the farm this year to keep em away from the tire fire.

I would possibly revisit this at the end of the year as a reward for good play. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Norcal said:

The team should use the rest of this year to evaluate the players in the organization and decide who they want to go forward with and who they can get value for in trade. 

IR Eichel, waive Okposo

Play Asplund, Thompson and Mittlestadt and never sit Bryson again.

Max out the Trade Deadline

I'd love to see college free agent LHD Ryan Jones and vets like JS Dea and Steven Fogarty in Rochester get a few games in the NHL. 

I'd keep R2, Samuelsson, Laaksonen, UPL and Quinn down on the farm this year to keep em away from the tire fire.

I would possibly revisit this at the end of the year as a reward for good play. 

I have no problem with any of this...and yes, if guys like Dea and Fogerty have been good soldiers all year helping with the kids, yes give them a few games at the NHL level when Rochester is off, and the Sabres are playing at home.  I’m sure to get in a few games with the big boys makes all the years of toiling at lower levels, worth it. 

On a related note, whatever happened to CJ Smith?  Is he hurt?  Can’t say I remember any talk of him getting another shot with the Sabres seeing how no one else seems to be an answer. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Except most coaches would say that means safe, and Irwin, Eakin and Okposo over Jokiharju Mittelstadt and Thompson.

I want to see players given real opportunities they haven’t had over players who have proven they don’t have futures.

Mostly that gives me a reason to watch, but it is also useful in terms of development and evaluation.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I have no problem with any of this...and yes, if guys like Dea and Fogerty have been good soldiers all year helping with the kids, yes give them a few games at the NHL level when Rochester is off, and the Sabres are playing at home.  I’m sure to get in a few games with the big boys makes all the years of toiling at lower levels, worth it. 

On a related note, whatever happened to CJ Smith?  Is he hurt?  Can’t say I remember any talk of him getting another shot with the Sabres seeing how no one else seems to be an answer. 

Taxi Squad. He's played 5 games in Rochester and scored 6 points. I'd play him in Buffalo too. Why not. 

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Except most coaches would say that means safe, and Irwin, Eakin and Okposo over Jokiharju Mittelstadt and Thompson.

I want to see players given real opportunities they haven’t had over players who have proven they don’t have futures.

Mostly that gives me a reason to watch, but it is also useful in terms of development and evaluation.

I don't agree with this

Maybe most bad coaches...most coaches we've seen in Buffalo... Eakin and KO are objectively among the worst players in the league right now

Being really really bad at hockey doesn't equate to "safe" to me. 

Edited by Thorny

I am proud of KA for starting to move the UFAs, but the thin team is getting even thinner.

Injuries - Jack, Ullmark, McCabe, Borgen, KO, and now Reider and Asplund.  

Traded - JoJo and Staal.  Who's next?

So dat is now 6 starters down along with 2 backups and the 3rd string goalie.  

Dea is now up, Thompson is in the lineup daily, as is rookie Jacob Bryson.  Togarski is now the backup goalie.  

At dis point, I'm starting Lazar, Cozens, Eakin and Dea at center.  Not happy dat R2 is still in Rochester.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

What is the deal with Tage Thompson?

i know he was supposedly sick this week, but he's played seven times in this 17-game streak, 10 or 11 minutes each time.

They've got this guy signed for two more years, the season is lost. Shouldn't they be doing with him what they are doing with Mittelstadt, playing him a lot and seeing what he can do?

it's bad enough that guys like Eakin and Okposo are/were playing over him, but Fogarty, Dea, CJ Smith?

I have all the same questions about Artuu Ruotsalainen as well.

Guess I need to be patient, deadline is coming.

I've never watched a Thompson game and come away thinking, re: his overall game, that this was ever going to be a mainstay NHL player. 

Just trade him. Maybe it'll be easier for him away from the terrible trade stigma. Every other piece is gone except Johnson, the only one worth acquiring in the first place. 

Berglund/Sobotka/Miller/Thompson

Edited by Thorny
Miller is gone, to me. far gone

Just stumbled across this. So annoying lol 

"The Blues paid a signing bonus O'Reilly was owed July 1, the newspaper reported. The Sabres would have had to pay it if O'Reilly was traded after that.

"If it went past midnight today, the asking price was certainly going to be a lot different," Botterill said. "You never say never, but it certainly played a role in making sure the deal was done today.""

https://www.nhl.com/news/sabres-trade-oreilly-to-blues-for-three-forwards-pair-of-draft-picks/c-299385990

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure on the rules these days. Can we send Cozens to Rochester or somewhere else where the kid can experience some winning and have a little fun? I don't think he's going to learn anything here except losing . 

He's smiling every time they show him on the bench. It takes a little while for that to wear off. Even in buffalo 

On 3/27/2021 at 3:08 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I proud of KA for starting to move the UFAs, but the thin team is getting even thinner.

Injuries - Jack, Ullmark, McCabe, Borgen, KO, and now Reider and Asplund.  

Traded - JoJo and Staal.  Who's next?

So dat is now 6 starters down along with 2 backups and the 3rd string goalie.  

Dea is now up, Thompson is in the lineup daily, as is rookie Jacob Bryson.  Togarski is now the backup goalie.  

At dis point, I'm starting Lazar, Cozens, Eakin and Dea at center.  Not happy dat R2 is still in Rochester.

They have to trade Hall. He actually might fetch something somewhat decent in return 

Cozens is playing for the team he should be playing for and I would give Quinn the most amount of games without burning a year.

I'm not saying play him every game until he hits the max - 1 game but play him against teams you think he would do better against and pick and choose your games. Let him make a bigger check while seeing how the pros get ready for the game at the rink and away. It'll make him even hungrier to make the team next year and push him to train his azz off during the off season. Once he has the games required minus one, send him back down or put him on the taxi squad. 

This is  a player you are patient with though. If he is not ready for the bigs next season, back to junior (assuming he can't play in AHL) with him. 

Take a look at the youngsters and the players you are unsure of that you want to go forward with them. Points mean nothing. The rest of the season should be used to evaluate all positions of the organization, including the team, and make a plan on how to go forward starting this off season.

It is time to bite the bulllet and buy out or trade KO to someone and pay the price. Skinner I honestly don't know what I'd do with but he would play in the top 6 the rest of the season.

Edited by Ducky

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

What is the deal with Tage Thompson?

i know he was supposedly sick this week, but he's played seven times in this 17-game streak, 10 or 11 minutes each time.

They've got this guy signed for two more years, the season is lost. Shouldn't they be doing with him what they are doing with Mittelstadt, playing him a lot and seeing what he can do?

it's bad enough that guys like Eakin and Okposo are/were playing over him, but Fogarty, Dea, CJ Smith?

I have all the same questions about Artuu Ruotsalainen as well.

Guess I need to be patient, deadline is coming.

I was just wondering this. I didn’t know he was sick.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I've never watched a Thompson game and come away thinking, re: his overall game, that this was ever going to be a mainstay NHL player. 

Just trade him. Maybe it'll be easier for him away from the terrible trade stigma. Every other piece is gone except Johnson, the only one worth acquiring in the first place. 

Berglund/Sobotka/Miller/Thompson

I totally think he will be a player for us and will eventually take a little sting out of the ROR trade.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Just stumbled across this. So annoying lol 

"The Blues paid a signing bonus O'Reilly was owed July 1, the newspaper reported. The Sabres would have had to pay it if O'Reilly was traded after that.

"If it went past midnight today, the asking price was certainly going to be a lot different," Botterill said. "You never say never, but it certainly played a role in making sure the deal was done today.""

https://www.nhl.com/news/sabres-trade-oreilly-to-blues-for-three-forwards-pair-of-draft-picks/c-299385990

The Pegulas did it to save money, and the irony is that this has and will continue to cost them far more as a result

27 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

The Pegulas did it to save money, and the irony is that this has and will continue to cost them far more as a result

Ya we’ve all heard all about it, I just stumbled across Botterill’s phrasing and it bugged me haha 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.