Should Pro Sports "Jump the Line" for a Vaccine?

SwampD

Figured this should be it's own thread.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

By definition, you are. Every vaccine that goes to a young, healthy pro athlete is one that doesn't go to someone judged by a particular state to need the vaccine more. We are not close to having vaccinated all of the people who are, for once, at the front of the line.

I do not agree that the NHL is a vital part of the economy.

So where do they fall? Before or after sanitation workers? What about overweight smokers? Where do I fall? I know it's pretty far down, stupid me for being healthy. If I get sick, I'll most likely get better and go back to work. If a young, healthy pro athlete gits sick, if they are compromised even 5% afterward, they'll most likely never play again.

Fun fact, I actually get to "jump the line" because I'm in the media. Is that right? I wouldn't get it until later, though, if it weren't for the fact that my daughter is in a home and can't receive vaccinations.

And I'm not worried about the economy. If there is another stimulus it'll be just fine. People downplay the importance of the arts and entertainment all the time. It's one of the reasons my dad never knew if he was going to have a job the next school year every year. One of my first topics on SS was a rant about people saying "relax, it's just a game." You are boiling it down to "rich guy jumping the line so he can play his game" when you know it is more than that.

Edited by SwampD

• SwampD changed the title to Should Pro Sports "Jump the Line" for a Vaccine?

No.

"In the media" shouldn't be a reason, either, where that means in a studio capable of isolation, like your show.

However, your daughter's situation, with which I am slightly familiar, *should* be a reason to prioritize you. Parents with minor children in long term care should have been in the first group.  I'd have no problem if one of my parents couldn't get a vaccine because of such a reason.  I'd have a big problem if they couldn't get one because it went to an in-studio TV personality or an NHL player.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No.

"In the media" shouldn't be a reason, either, where that means in a studio capable of isolation, like your show.

However, your daughter's situation, with which I am slightly familiar, *should* be a reason to prioritize you. Parents with minor children in long term care should have been in the first group.  I'd have no problem if one of my parents couldn't get a vaccine because of such a reason.  I'd have a big problem if they couldn't get one because it went to a TV personality or an NHL player.

Can your parents isolate in order to protect themselves? Are they working from home? Are they only getting it to "return to normal?"

The point is, it's a really complicated issue.

I view an NHL player getting jabbed as benefiting more than just the player. It benefits me, and thousands like me who need an escape from this crap.

18 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Can your parents isolate in order to protect themselves? Are they working from home? Are they only getting it to "return to normal?"

The point is, it's a really complicated issue.

I view an NHL player getting jabbed as benefiting more than just the player. It benefits me, and thousands like me who need an escape from this crap.

I understand where you're coming from with the arts & entertainment angle.  It benefits me in that way, too.  I also can find a million other ways to be entertained--and I have some doubts about an athlete never recovering to full level.  These guys have access to the best doctors in the world.  

As for my folks, they are staying home to the extent possible for people of their age.  They need to move around, so they go to the mall a couple of times a week, and they mask up. (It is probably more dangerous for them not to get exercise than it is for them to be exposed to COVID, or at least that's their calculation--and no, outside is not a possibility in winter.) They have medical appointments, need groceries, people come into their home for repairs, etc.  They haven't seen their grandchildren in forever and it's breaking them.  They've been to Mass once since March and that was for a funeral.  But they've also lost one close friend to this and another close friend just got out of the hospital after 60 days.

Edited by Eleven

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s simply government saying they are in a high risk profession.  Also the amount of doses needed is exceedingly small.

Neither of these is incorrect, but neither militates in favor of prioritizing athletes, either.  The amount of doses needed is exceedingly small, but so is the number of doses available.  We have 8 billion people to inoculate.

And yes, the profession is high risk (for a number of reasons, not just COVID), but there are so many other jobs out there that are equally high risk, but more essential, starting with what you eat and how it gets to you.  Athletes are at the proverbial wrong end of the food chain.  

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

No.  There is no reason that they should be vaccinated before anyone else in their age/health group.

The idea that they should be vaccinated because they are in the entertainment industry is not compelling to me.

The idea that they are in a high risk profession has some merit.  There are a lot of other high risk professions though that would fall in line with them.  Especially considering that hockey player is not an essential job.

• Like (+1) 3

Yeah, no.  Risk is about more than exposure potential.  It is about likelihood of a poor outcome as well.  Eleven documented well the risk his parents (and mine) face.  Add in the likelihood of a poor outcome and this is where priority should lie.  Those vaccines should go first to the people that require the protection of a vaccine the most.

• Like (+1) 4

Interesting discussion though I am disappointed if it negatively effects my ability to watch hockey... selfish I know... but I can live with the disappointment especially after seeing the death I have seen this past year.  Perspective:  We had to add two freezer semis out back because our hospital morgue was so filled up with bodies last spring and kept 1 around this winter because of the recent spike...

I'm just going to add:  It's 8 billion (ok, 7.7 billion if you're being finicky) and not 329 million.  This world is bigger than the US.  You (whoever is reading this) and I (me) are no more important than some man in Montevideo (most awesome capital name ever) or some woman in Kathmandu (second most awesome).

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Delaware is only about to vaccinate 1,500 educators a week right now because of supply issues.  They have classified educators as anyone who comes into face to face contact with students including bus drivers and cafeteria workers.  There are about 9,600 public school teachers in Delaware and I bhave no idea how many private school teachers but it's probably at least 50% of that.  At this pace it's not going to matter.  I've gotten passed over twice now and now that I probably have COVID it doesn't matter anymore.

Delaware clearly has management issues.  Good thing a politician from Delaware isn’t running things.

The country is vaccinating over 1,000,000 people a day.  Stories are everywhere facilities are throwing away doses because of poor in state distribution, bad regulations and sign up programs.  

But lets do the numbers.  NY for example has already received 2.3 mill doses, but for some reason has only used 77%.  https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/covid-19-vaccine-tracker
So 600,000 in NY are either yet to be administered or have been wasted. Most likely wasted because of Cuomo’s overly restrictive regulations, that have now been loosened.     https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/nyregion/new-york-vaccine-guidelines.html

Wasted vaccines are everywhere. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/thousands-covid-19-vaccines-wind-garbage-because-fed-state-guidelines-n1254364

I’m talking about 2500 doses across two nations and over 30 states and provinces.  As I said before the amount is de minims.  

Wouldn’t you rather have them given to athletes vs. thrown away?  Y’all are more worried about the Twitter response.  Given the waste inherit in this system vaccinating athletes to help protect their health isn’t preventing anyone from getting the vaccine.  It will just prevent 2500 wasted doses.

Remember given my age and health history, I’m in the next group to get the vaccine, yet I’m advocating for vaccinating the athletes. Why, because it is such a small usage but provides so much to society.  

PS.  Our job is not to protect the 8 billion in the world.  Are we supposed to send 2500 extra doses to China.  Seriously? We need to protect all our citizens and residents before 1 dose goes elsewhere.  Once that’s completed, then we can mobilize to help in places that can’t help themsleves.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, SwampD said:

I think smokers should go to the end of the line.

Sure (but what do they smoke?).  And drinkers.  And people who are fat.  And people who eat smoked meats three times per week.  And people who have unprotected sex with strangers.  And people who don't eat enough.  Oh--the people who drink seven cups of coffee per day, moving up their heart rate!  Let's get them in there.  Can you list with priorities?

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Delaware clearly has management issues.

Per the post you responded to, they'll have every public school employee vaccinated within six weeks. 

How's Georgia doing, "dawg"?  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Sure (but what do they smoke?).  And drinkers.  And people who are fat.  And people who eat smoked meats three times per week.  And people who have unprotected sex with strangers.  And people who don't eat enough.  Oh--the people who drink seven cups of coffee per day, moving up their heart rate!  Let's get them in there.  Can you list with priorities?

Per the post you responded to, they'll have every public school employee vaccinated within six weeks. 

How's Georgia doing, "dawg"?  

Well.  I’m in group 1C here and I’m supposed to be able to be get my first one at the end of this month or early next month.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Kinda my point. Where do we draw the line. The vaccine is not the only way to protect ourselves. It’s how we “get back to normal.”

If the goal is to protect enough people so that we can limit death and “get back to normal,” I don’t see a difference between giving it to old people so they can go to the mall and giving to athletes so I can watch hockey with my friends.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Kinda my point. Where do we draw the line. The vaccine is not the only way to protect ourselves. It’s how we “get back to normal.”

If the goal is to protect enough people so that we can limit death and “get back to normal,” I don’t see a difference between giving it to old people so they can go to the mall and giving to athletes so I can watch hockey with my friends.

That's how I felt about the shutdown (if you might recall, I was and am against it) and I get where you're coming from.  I just don't agree with your prioritization of the shot.

Obviously the at risk groups should get it first, and they are.   

However, it will be interesting  to see where pro-atheletes land in the pecking order.    Same with entertainers, musicians, college athletics, etc...  Arguments can be made for anybody really.

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Obviously the at risk groups should get it first, and they are.   

However, it will be interesting  to see where pro-atheletes land in the pecking order.    Same with entertainers, musicians, college athletics, etc...  Arguments can be made for anybody really.

Arguments can be made for those who take care of our food supply, those who take care of children and the infirm, those who go into houses to repair your AC or to restore the blessed cable box on which you watch hockey, those who tend to the needy, those who deal with criminals (no that's not what I do), veterinarians, haircutters, the criminals who are incarcerated themselves, those who go live for news, those who govern, those who do just about ANYTHING freaking else but entertain.

I'll put myself at the bottom of the list.

EDIT:  There are many excellent re-runs available for free on Pluto or whatever, and most North American libraries have electronic loans, for those truly starved for entertainment.  For me, I'd rather have the vulnerable inoculated so that I can have society.  More important than entertainment.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If someone said I shouldn’t be vaccinated for smoking, drinking, eating smoked meats, and having unprotected sex with strangers I would have a hard time disagreeing with them (I don’t touch coffee, that stuff will kill you). I would say the exact same thing towards others in that group. 

We control what we control as individuals. There are people who have paused their lives, let them start living again. I’m going to continue living mine with or without a vaccine. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.