Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

1 minute ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Matt Murray 4 years 6.25M AAV to Ottawa: Anton Khudobin 3 years, 3.5M AAV back to Dallas. Tax advantages help. The evidence is overwhelming

Khudobin is 34

Murray is 26

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Question.  Tyler Johnson has been waived.  Once he clears waivers, how does TB move him.  Sending him to the minors only saves 1.1 per season.  Buy outs are done I think.  So what does TB do?

You assume he clears waivers. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ruff Around The Edges said:

One of several examples. Teams in Texas, Florida, Nevada have major cap advantages over teams in higher tax areas..Can add up to 6-7M advantage, Think of what teams can do with that extra cap space.

Apparently not much because the only one to win anything in the last decade is Tampa. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

One of several examples. Teams in Texas, Florida, Nevada have major cap advantages over teams in higher tax areas..Can add up to 6-7M advantage, Think of what teams can do with that extra cap space.

This has been debunked several times on here.

The only advantage really is an exchange advantage of US based teams over Canadian based teams.

5 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Let's see, Stanley Cup winners by state since Carolina won in 2005

California

Michigan 

Pennsylvania

Illinois

Massachusetts

California

Illinois

California

Illinois

Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania

Washington DC

Missouri

Florida 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Apparently not much because the only one to win anything in the last decade is Tampa. 

Dallas and Vegas were in this years Final 4 too. It does not guarantee success I do agree there, but I do think it is a  big help for these franchises and a determinant to say, Buffalo, Winnipeg and other smaller markets in higher tax situations.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

To be fair, Vegas has been one of the best teams in the NHL and has been to Western conference finals and Cup finals in their short existence, and Dallas was also in the Finals too. Its not like they haven't been really good just because they weren't the 1 team every year that gets the cup

1 minute ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Dallas and Vegas were in this years Final 4 too. It does not guarantee success I do agree there, but I do think it is a  big help for these franchises and a determinant to say, Buffalo, Winnipeg and other smaller markets in higher tax situations.

So because this year 3 teams from low tax states did something it shows an advantage? As opposed to all the other years where high tax states field good teams. 

8 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

this isn't exactly true. if a player makes his home base in florida as a lot of them do their income is based on that states rate.  you see guys getting signing bonuses and those are usually the big chunks of their salary which would be at the florida rate.  game checks get taxed in the cities and states they play in.  as an example look at what new york tried to do with jeter years and years back. he claimed florida as his home so his salary wouldn't be taxed in new york. new york tried to go after him 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So because this year 3 teams from low tax states did something it shows an advantage? As opposed to all the other years where high tax states field good teams. 

Tampa has been one of the leagues better teams for years, Vegas has had one season where they weren't in the top 4 in their short existence. Dallas has been one of the better teams during the regular season in the league

3 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Nevada, California, Massachusetts, Carolina

Winnipeg, Nevada, Florida, Washington DC

Ottawa, Pennsylvania, California, Tennessee

California, Florida, Pennsylvania, Missouri

Florida, NY, Illinois, California

I am going to stop now since there isn't a correlation between making it to the conference finals and being from a 0 state income tax state. 

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Tampa has been one of the leagues better teams for years, Vegas has had one season where they weren't in the top 4 in their short existence. Dallas has been one of the better teams during the regular season in the league

But the argument is this gives them a permanent advantage. Yet if we review things, they aren't always good or even in the conversation. Clearly the advantage is highly limited if at all. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Nevada, California, Massachusetts, Carolina

Winnipeg, Nevada, Florida, Washington DC

Ottawa, Pennsylvania, California, Tennessee

California, Florida, Pennsylvania, Missouri

Florida, NY, Illinois, California

I am going to stop now since there isn't a correlation between making it to the conference finals and being from a 0 state income tax state. 

5 of 20 teams from low income or no income tax states. Again, if this were a real advantage why don't we see it more and why is it that half of the teams from those low income states continually suck. Coyotes, Panthers, Dallas has only been good once through this. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.